News Article: Some states introduce bills to ban youth tackle football

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
Re: Bills to ban youth tackle football

20 years ago they said that soccer was the most dangerous sport under 12 with the heading and the wild kicks especially if the football is played with weight restrictions. In the league my son played, the weight limit was 90# for 9-10 yr old and 120# for 11-12 yr olds.and

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Not to direct this straight to non-sports (though it's almost surely headed there), but is ANYONE surprised these bills have started in these four states? LOL, it's like a punchline.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Not to direct this straight to non-sports (though it's almost surely headed there), but is ANYONE surprised these bills have started in these four states? LOL, it's like a punchline.
The only surprise is that NJ isn't doing the same. These things always start in the same places. But they are not always wrong.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

My first response would be, why 14?

Why did you pick that age? Why not 12? Or 16?

We all know why.....because they don’t want to tangle with the high school athletics people. Selective liberalism at work.

If Cali does this, USCw, UCLA and Cal might as well give up recruiting.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

With regards to concussions and CTE, wasn't there a study out not long ago showing CTE just began to show up in players who played high school football? Then more prominent in players who played college, then almost universal in players who played in the NFL.

It seems to me that this isn't a huge issue in youth football but becomes a greater risk the longer you play, as the game speeds up and the players get bigger and stronger.
I had a friend in high school who played football ( RB ) all through school. He didn`t play after high school. He later became an attorney but took his own life, I believe in his 40`s. I know that there are many, many reasons and circumstances that can surround why a person might do this and I have absolutely no idea if had CTE. Having said that, the question has crossed my mind though.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

We've recruited quite a few guys from the DC, Maryland, Virginia area as well. Especially with Locksley's connection to the area. I'm sure this will take a while to impact the talent in those areas but I'm sure it will eventually. Especially at positions that are harder to learn and really need good training from a younger age.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Ever watch " Friday Night Tykes "? Holy moly !!
Actually I haven't, but I can imagine.

I know that the risk of broken bones is always there. But I'm just wondering how big the risk of brain injury is in youth football? I honestly don't know. But I do know the studies thus far have shown it to grow at each higher level of play. Which is understandable.

Edited to add: I've said it before but just for full disclosure here, at this point my sons won't be playing anyway. Now it may change, and it may become more and more difficult to hold them out as they get older.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Actually I haven't, but I can imagine.

I know that the risk of broken bones is always there. But I'm just wondering how big the risk of brain injury is in youth football? I honestly don't know. But I do know the studies thus far have shown it to grow at each higher level of play. Which is understandable.

Edited to add: I've said it before but just for full disclosure here, at this point my sons won't be playing anyway. Now it may change, and it may become more and more difficult to hold them out as they get older.
Question, what exactly do those studies show? Are they just saying that a person who plays HS but not college is less likely to have CTE? OR is it saying that a person that started playing in HS and then plays in College is just as likely to have CTE as a player that only started playing in college? (sorry if this didn't make sense I was having trouble with the wording).

I don't know much about the science but it seems plausible to me that the risk increases at each higher level of play but the early years are still more critical or as critical as the later ones.

I really need to do more reading on the subject because my knowledge in the area is very limited. I have too many basic questions. What has more of an impact, the amount of time you play the game or the brutality/strength of the hits? Do NFL players who only just started playing get CTE and if so at the same rate or lower rate than those that have been playing their whole life? How does children having more malleable brains impact it?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Question, what exactly do those studies show? Are they just saying that a person who plays HS but not college is less likely to have CTE? OR is it saying that a person that started playing in HS and then plays in College is just as likely to have CTE as a player that only started playing in college? (sorry if this didn't make sense I was having trouble with the wording).

I don't know much about the science but it seems plausible to me that the risk increases at each higher level of play but the early years are still more critical or as critical as the later ones.

I really need to do more reading on the subject because my knowledge in the area is very limited. I have too many basic questions. What has more of an impact, the amount of time you play the game or the brutality/strength of the hits? Do NFL players who only just started playing get CTE and if so at the same rate or lower rate than those that have been playing their whole life? How does children having more malleable brains impact it?
I could certainly stand to be corrected here, but I believe there`s a growing consensus that there is a cumulative effect over time and exposure to trauma to the head. Contributing impacts do not have to rise to the level of a graded concussion to contribute to the disease state.

jbkwin

Aug 28, 2011

In my opinion, it will ruin football. I think it is just a matter of time, before tackle football will not be allowed. Football will evolve into a flag sport, and girls will be playing. I realize there is a certain amount of risk involved in tackle football. However, with the proper coaching and instruction, I think the injuries would not be nearly as great.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

In my opinion, it will ruin football. I think it is just a matter of time, before tackle football will not be allowed. Football will evolve into a flag sport, and girls will be playing. I realize there is a certain amount of risk involved in tackle football. However, with the proper coaching and instruction, I think the injuries would not be nearly as great.
All it takes is raising the majority of one generation to like another sport and wait on the last generation who actually liked the sport to die off. Football is so rooted in our culture, especially in the South, that I'm not sure we're seeing enough behavioral changes toward to the game to actually say it's on it's way out. Not saying it won't eventually happen. But I'm not sure we're really on that path as of yet.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

I'll say it like this because I played. If I knew everything now then, I wouldn't have played until high school. All the coaching in the world doesn't help it's a violent sport and why we like it. I know there was a OL man that played for the Ravens that was going to MIT in the offseason. He would say it took months for him to be able to be himself cognitively after the season. Broken bones , jams , tendons etc are easier to deal with than brain injuries. Where football is in trouble is they aren't doing enough research on materials in helmets and padding to absorb and distribute the impact of hits.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Tideflyer is correct. It is the cumulative effect over time. The longer you play, the more exposure your brain has to concussive hits. I think there is also some thought given to the speed of the game and force of the hits growing as you advance levels of play. But it's the exposure over time most likely.

There was one study in particular, and I'm probably getting some details incorrect, but they studied so many brains of former football players. The percentage of those with CTE grew if they played college, and grew even more if they played in the NFL. I don't remember the numbers but I do remember that nearly 100% of the brains that came from former NFL players had CTE. It was just one study, of course. But the results were still astonishing, IMO.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Re: Some states intrduce bills to ban youth tackle football

All it takes is raising the majority of one generation to like another sport and wait on the last generation who actually liked the sport to die off. Football is so rooted in our culture, especially in the South, that I'm not sure we're seeing enough behavioral changes toward to the game to actually say it's on it's way out. Not saying it won't eventually happen. But I'm not sure we're really on that path as of yet.
It's not happening yet but it feels like it could be "the beginning of the end." Meaning, that I think we will look back at the movie about CTE, good young players retiring, banning of youth football, etc. as the start of the movement.

I love football and I want it to stick around but it's just not likely to happen in its current form unless science somehow saves it. I will still watch it but when it becomes 7 on 7 or flag football or some variation a lot of people will likely stop watching.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

It's not happening yet but it feels like it could be "the beginning of the end." Meaning, that I think we will look back at the movie about CTE, good young players retiring, banning of youth football, etc. as the start of the movement.

I love football and I want it to stick around but it's just not likely to happen in its current form unless science somehow saves it. I will still watch it but when it becomes 7 on 7 or flag football or some variation a lot of people will likely stop watching.
I come from a football family - a lot of people in my family have made their living playing and coaching football for generations. None of them are worried, but none of the "next" generation in the family have followed their footsteps into the profession. Many played in HS, a few in college, but none is interested in coaching. I really think that football is dying in our family with my generation (50+).

We even have members of the family who do not watch the games anymore. Not something that I would ever have guessed might even be possible 30 years ago.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

Watch the show about Robert Turner and it will make you sad. Junior Seau went way too you, and his suicide may have been a result of CTE also. The wrestler Chris Benoit, who went psycho and killed his wife and son before killing himself could have been suffering from CTE as well it was blamed on roid rage at the time, as CTE had not yet become a big topic in sports, but CTE is a real possibility if you consider the damage those guys take. When I think about all of the damage being done to the minds of these athletes for our entertainment, I often wonder why I even bother to watch. But, at least with football, I still do.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Watch the show about Robert Turner and it will make you sad. Junior Seau went way too you, and his suicide may have been a result of CTE also. The wrestler Chris Benoit, who went psycho and killed his wife and son before killing himself could have been suffering from CTE as well it was blamed on roid rage at the time, as CTE had not yet become a big topic in sports, but CTE is a real possibility if you consider the damage those guys take. When I think about all of the damage being done to the minds of these athletes for our entertainment, I often wonder why I even bother to watch. But, at least with football, I still do.
My conscience is clear. Like with boxing, the participants can no longer pretend that they do not understand the risks. Many of the teens in my family understood the risks and chose not to play.

It really is a choice, and we can celebrate the choice by many to do what they love in spite of the risks.

UAinAthens

Scout Team
Jul 5, 2001
gmail.com

More government, more government, more government, more government.

I'm sick and tired of a government that thinks it must legislate every aspect of our lives. I have a brain, I can make decisions for myself and if I decided I don't want my kids to play contact sports at a young age then that is my business. If I decide I will allow my kids to play contact sports then that is my business, not some snotty old government hack.

Riding in a vehicle can be very dangerous, even deadly at times. When will bills be introduced to ban young kids from riding in cars? Kids drown all the time when swimming, let's ban that for under 14 year olds as well. Got to protect the kids so let's just ban kids from participating in life until age 14.

I don't know whether to laugh or be sad that our representatives are willing to introduce bills to ban sports to help protect kids but, most aren't even willing to approach the table to discuss gun violence in this country.
Amen, brother!

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

My conscience is clear. Like with boxing, the participants can no longer pretend that they do not understand the risks. Many of the teens in my family understood the risks and chose not to play.

It really is a choice, and we can celebrate the choice by many to do what they love in spite of the risks.
What about the ones who only love it because it may be the only way they see out of their lower socioeconomic standing?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.