Question: Herbstreit to replace Gruden on NFL Draft coverage. Possible permanent move?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It's the offseason and I just saw this pop up on ESPN's website. With Jon Gruden now coaching the Raiders, Kirk Herbstreit will assume the role Gruden had on the NFL draft coverage. I wonder if ESPN is subtly transitioning him out of College Gameday and is this just one of more major changes coming to ESPN? I know it maybe far fetched, but ESPN has been making some major shifts and changes in their formats. Herbie is now "old school" for College Gameday. They shifted Fowler out and brought in Rece. Are they doing the same with Herbie?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/22542444/espn-adds-kirk-herbstreit-nfl-draft-coverage-replacing-jon-gruden

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is a role connected to college football, so I wouldn't read too much into it. I will be shocked if they move him away from college football into NFL football.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This seems kinda odd. Is Herbstreit at all qualified to be a Draft guy? Not that I always agree with these guys anyway but still feels like an odd choice for Draft coverage. I

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This seems kinda odd. Is Herbstreit at all qualified to be a Draft guy? Not that I always agree with these guys anyway but still feels like an odd choice for Draft coverage. I
He knows the players and their skill-set. I guess that it depends on what they expect of him.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
He knows the players and their skill-set. I guess that it depends on what they expect of him.
That's true. He will probably be much more knowledgeable about each players careers than most of the draft guys. But still seems odd. He's not really a talent evaluator and has no experience there that I know of and doesn't have any real connection to NFL teams so he likely won't have inside information. I do like him more than most ESPN guys though. He's not nearly as annoying to listen to as some others.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Herbstreit will bring a different angle than Gruden. No way he will be able to bring what Gruden brought from an NFL perspective. A lot of the guys who worked with Gruden during the draft prep coverage talk about the in depth knowledge he brought and how much insight he brought to the panel that they used during the coverage.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I think the question is whether he will be replacing Gruden in the Monday night broadcasts as well. I hope not. I enjoy listening to his commentary, and I never watch the NFL, so he would go off my radar completely. I know some folks don't like him on Gameday and his commentary, saying maybe he is a bit of a homer and all that. But come on. Wouldn't you be too? Sure, he has a tad bit of boas, but who can blame him? Overall, I think he is very professional in his coverage and opinions, and don't want to see him leave the college game. If he did, I could see GMac as a replacement, and wouldn't mind that at all.

As for draft-only? He definitely knows the college players coming out pretty well, so why not?

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
That's true. He will probably be much more knowledgeable about each players careers than most of the draft guys. But still seems odd. He's not really a talent evaluator and has no experience there that I know of and doesn't have any real connection to NFL teams so he likely won't have inside information. I do like him more than most ESPN guys though. He's not nearly as annoying to listen to as some others.
He's perfect then! Most NFL talent evaluators are not talent evaluators; I mean, that's their job, yeah, but they're not good at it.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Remember this is just another TV show. It doesn't have to be correct, factual, or informative. Just good enough to induce viewers to tune in and watch.

Which is basically saying it only has to be marginally better than anything else ESPiN has scheduled, on its 27 other channels.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
If they move him off Gameday then my life will be infinitely easier...he's the only reason I still watch it at all...he is college football on ESPN and if they can him then they can write off a lot of us longtime viewers.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
ESPN doesn't want to hire somebody expensive to replace Gruden for just the draft. They'll figure out the longterm play later.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If they move him off Gameday then my life will be infinitely easier...he's the only reason I still watch it at all...he is college football on ESPN and if they can him then they can write off a lot of us longtime viewers.
Agreed. Won't watch game day if he is gone.

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
I used to like Kirk on Gameday until I saw the clip of him walking off the set when Bama was announced as the fourth playoff team. Even though he later admitted the committee made the right decision, he showed his true colors.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I used to like Kirk on Gameday until I saw the clip of him walking off the set when Bama was announced as the fourth playoff team. Even though he later admitted the committee made the right decision, he showed his true colors.
Or maybe he is human?

He did not later admit anything. He said before the ranking came out that Alabama deserved the spot.

Selective memory.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Or maybe he is human?

He did not later admit anything. He said before the ranking came out that Alabama deserved the spot.

Selective memory.
My take is that he was probably astounded, as I would have been, at the selection. I wouldn't have been able to walk off the set because I would have fallen out of the chair. Perhaps he believed, as many of us did, that two teams from the same conference would never be selected. And certainly not two from the SEC.

prayfast14

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 13, 2016
Hey, not trying to start a debate but Kirk said before we were picked that he thought we should be the #4 team. He also explained that he walked off the set because he was shocked that the committee chose us cuz he thought that they would pick OSU. H

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.