Question: Herbstreit to replace Gruden on NFL Draft coverage. Possible permanent move?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, hard to believe a guy would hold any allegiance to his college :cool:
Like many OSU fans and alumni, he almost certainly believed that Alabama deserved the spot but was holding onto the hope that OSU would get in ahead of Alabama. I mean, life isn't fair and there were many reasons to hope that OSU might get the nod over Alabama in spite of Alabama deserving the spot. Read the threads here and you can see them all spelled out.

So, I really believe that Herbstreit thought that one of those scenarios would put OSU in and he was stunned at the choice, correct though it clearly was.

Should he have stepped off of the set? No. But I also believe that he did that without theatrics (he almost certainly believed that he would be back in his seat in a few seconds after he had composed himself, and before the cameras turned back to him).

But, the most important thing was his professionalism after that snafu. Unlike the two idiots at the desk, he immediately defended the choice and had to argue with guys who couldn't move on. Tell me that wasn't hard - but he did it. Why? Because he is a credible person, not just a fan.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I don't think any OSU fans were saying they thought Bama deserved it over them. They may have believed in deep in their hearts, but most were yelling they deserved it more than us. I would have been too. I wanted my team in just like they wanted theirs. I think Kirk really had hopes OSU got in, and was a little upset they didn't. I don't blame him at all for losing it momentarily. He is human and allowed to have emotions just like anyone else. Was it a little unprofessional? Yes. Did it make me lose respect for him? Not at all.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't think any OSU fans were saying they thought Bama deserved it over them. They may have believed in deep in their hearts, but most were yelling they deserved it more than us. I would have been too. I wanted my team in just like they wanted theirs. I think Kirk really had hopes OSU got in, and was a little upset they didn't. I don't blame him at all for losing it momentarily. He is human and allowed to have emotions just like anyone else. Was it a little unprofessional? Yes. Did it make me lose respect for him? Not at all.
Bama winning it all went a long way in silencing those (possibly Herbie and Galloway as well) who initially said we didn't "deserve" to be in. I could only imagine the media's narrative being screamed from the roof tops of the college football world if we would have gotten our butts handed to us by Clemson in the first game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Bama winning it all went a long way in silencing those (possibly Herbie and Galloway as well) who initially said we didn't "deserve" to be in. I could only imagine the media's narrative being screamed from the roof tops of the college football world if we would have gotten our butts handed to us by Clemson in the first game.
We heard it the year before in the B1G when Clemson stomped us (that PSU deserved that spot). You are right - lose and it is questioned, but you won so it has faded into history.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
We heard it the year before in the B1G when Clemson stomped us (that PSU deserved that spot). You are right - lose and it is questioned, but you won so it has faded into history.
The manner in which we won both games also helps put the questions even further into "faded history". We dominated Clemson then turned around and did our best impression of a Rocky V movie on a football field. "Yo KIRBY!!! I DIDN'T HEAR NO BELL!!! ONE MORE ROUND!"

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
This is a role connected to college football, so I wouldn't read too much into it. I will be shocked if they move him away from college football into NFL football.
Exactly, they are not going to lose their prized milk cow. He'll stay on the college side

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.