Question: Alabama Spring Game

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
yeah - I don't go to dreamland for sides. Dreamland is all about maxing out on the protein and the sides would just be an obstacle to that! in addition to the soda they also had sweet tea right?
Not back in the 80’s. It was late 80’s before they would even give you a cup of ice to pour your canned soda into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
-- Nick's in the Sticks -- about a 15-20 minute drive to Eutaw. Been there since dirt...my parents went on dates there in the '50s. The original owner, Nick Delgado, died some years ago, and it's changed hands a few times. About as Alabama a roadhouse as you're going to find. I haven't been in a long time, so I don't have a bead on current quality.
Nick's isn't in Eutaw, it's in Tuscaloosa. Out on the west side on Culver Rd. In talking to quite a few friends who have been in the last 6 months or so, the quality, service, and cleanliness leave a lot to be desired.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Nick's isn't in Eutaw, it's in Tuscaloosa. Out on the west side on Culver Rd. In talking to quite a few friends who have been in the last 6 months or so, the quality, service, and cleanliness leave a lot to be desired.
thx, i was wondering about that. i went to nicks a few times in college and didn't remember it being all the way out in eutaw.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
It's not far off the western bypass, so if you're coming in from I-20/59, that would be the quickest route.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Major42fan

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 3, 2008
Since I moved to California, I don't get to Ttown often, but when I do, our family has to eat at Baumhower's Wings. Best hot wings I ever ate. About 10 different sauces to choose from, even the buffalo has about 5 levels of hotness to choose from. I get the "Hot" level of wings with a side of Jerk seasoning. Also, the place is filled with BAMA memorabilia. Love it!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Since I moved to California, I don't get to Ttown often, but when I do, our family has to eat at Baumhower's Wings. Best hot wings I ever ate. About 10 different sauces to choose from, even the buffalo has about 5 levels of hotness to choose from. I get the "Hot" level of wings with a side of Jerk seasoning. Also, the place is filled with BAMA memorabilia. Love it!
If you like Baumhower's wings (and I do too) if you are ever in Huntsville you've got to try Beauregard's. Best wings I've ever had anywhere!

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
We went to the recently renovated Baumhower's on Harper Lee yesterday. Very disappointing. . . The buffalo sauce was terrible and the service was poor. It wasn't busy, either, so I don't know what the problem was. It used to be my favorite restaurant in Tuscaloosa. Guess I'll have to stick with Buffalo Phil's.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Some of what I'm about to suggest might be considered blasphemy, but here goes....

Breakfast. Waysider - Don't waste your time. Now, it's good breakfast - very good - but it's TINY. There are maybe 7 or 8 tables. You will spend all morning waiting in line to get in. Try Wright's Restaurant in Alberta City (5-10 minutes from campus) for a quicker southern style breakfast. If you want to move up in price level/fanciness, Metro Diner, which is a chain, has killer breakfast in Midtown Village.

BBQ. Dreamland - Don't go expecting great ribs, but the atmosphere is awesome. Whatever you do, do NOT go to the Northport location. I can't speak to Archibald's, but I've been to Archibald & Woodrow's twice and got a plate full of fat and gristle each time. Their vinegar sauce isn't my cup of tea either. Maybe the issue is that I didn't get ribs there. If you want pork BBQ, Jim & Nick's is good, but I drive about 20 minutes south on Hwy. 69 and go to Big John's in Moundville. Their pulled pork and onion rings are awesome.

Wings. I would concur with the previous post about the Harper Lee Dr. location of Baumhauer's not being good. When they remodeled, the portions got smaller and price went up. Service is lacking too. The south location at Hwy. 69 & Skyland has better quality and service.

Parking. I've done the parking at Central High School before and it's really easy to funnel down 10th Ave. to the stadium. That will also put you near the Southwest corner of the stadium, which is where the shade starts to creep in.

Other. If you get a chance, stop by Steel City Pops downtown on University Blvd. They do gourmet popsicles that are KILLER.

Concessions. I used to work concessions with school groups and I would suggest that you not expect concessions to go smoothly at A-Day. A lot of stands won't be open and groups may not be working their actual stands. The concession provider holds a portion of their profits hostage unless they come and work A-Day, so they may be working with the bare minimum there to get paid. Also, make sure you take cash. You can use debit/credit cards at the concession stands, but these are systems that haven't been used since the fall.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Rama Jama's has great breakfast, but forget about it on A-Day, unless you don't mind waiting in line for at least an hour. If you're in town on Friday morning, it's much more manageable.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
BBQ. Dreamland - Don't go expecting great ribs, but the atmosphere is awesome. Whatever you do, do NOT go to the Northport location. I can't speak to Archibald's, but I've been to Archibald & Woodrow's twice and got a plate full of fat and gristle each time. Their vinegar sauce isn't my cup of tea either. Maybe the issue is that I didn't get ribs there. If you want pork BBQ, Jim & Nick's is good, but I drive about 20 minutes south on Hwy. 69 and go to Big John's in Moundville. Their pulled pork and onion rings are awesome.
I'm not a fan of Dreamland anymore, but the best BBQ in Tuscaloosa county is at Promise Land BBQ in Woodstock, AL about a mile south of exit 97 on Highway 11. It's even better than Archibald's, and tons better than Dreamland. Ribs, pulled pork, brisket, sides, and dessert are all amazing.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Lots of good recommendations. I would add Mugshots and Glorybound. Both are downtown and don’t cost a lot of money.

ETA- I did this tour one time. My wife and I had a little getaway and I ate all the places I love in one day. After this I felt like I didn’t need to eat for a week but it was worth it-

Breakfast- Waysider- ate the pancake breakfast with the powdered fritters.

Lunch- City Cafe- went with vegetable plate..

Supper- Archibalds- I’m a pulled pork guy so I went with that.

You’ll need two marathons to burn all this off [emoji3].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I ate at Central Mesa next to Mugshots and Glory Bound on Greensboro Avenue. The queso is great there. Highly recommend the stuffed poblanos. Beer menu is alright. The bar is well-stocked so you ought to be able to find a cocktail you like. I think it would be a nice dinner backup plan if Five was packed out.

Which by the way, Five and Chuck Fish are probably the two best dinner spots downtown.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I ate at Central Mesa next to Mugshots and Glory Bound on Greensboro Avenue. The queso is great there. Highly recommend the stuffed poblanos. Beer menu is alright. The bar is well-stocked so you ought to be able to find a cocktail you like. I think it would be a nice dinner backup plan if Five was packed out.

Which by the way, Five and Chuck Fish are probably the two best dinner spots downtown.
I came back to add Chuck’s Fish. Can’t go wrong there either.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Mugshots has improved their menu a bit and they are a good "big lunch" spot. Their mix drinks have always been awful and the beer selection on tap ain't as great as the name would indicate. I like 'em but yeah I'd have to agree on passing them up on a trip to Tuscaloosa.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Do City Cafe before Mugshots. Mugshots is a chain and not special like the local places in Northport and Tuscaloosa.
Yes, now it’s a regional chain. The new locations aren’t great. Originally they opened in three locations- Hattiesburg, Starkville, and T’town. Used to be a good college town type place.

Last edited:

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Archibald's in Northport is my favorite meal whenever we're in Tuscaloosa. It's a small building literally in his backyard. A close second is Archibald & Woodrow's in Tuscaloosa which, iirc, is run by Archibald's nephew.

As for the game, check out http://rolltide.com/experience on your mobile as the game draws near. You'll be able to purchase experience upgrades, such as reserved seating, access to the North or South Zones, locker room tours, and parking passes.

EDIT: Here is a link to an announcement about last year's A-Day experience upgrades:
http://tide1029.com/2017-golden-flake-a-day-experiences-announced/
The A-Day Experience Upgrades are now on sale. Three of them are already sold out so, if you're interested in something, I would recommend doing it quickly.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.