Question: Alabama Spring Game

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Then go to Walmart. I kid, I kid. Most of the strip eateries give you a nice college experience. I do love DePalma’s but it’s not distinctly Bama. I’ll be there for the spring game too, it’s my son’s fraternity family weekend. We are bringing our high schooler and his friend. I’m sure I’ll lose him too in 2 years. *sigh* I’ll be back two weeks after that to help my son move out and my wife and I are going to a concert at the Amphitheater. We are going to try Five beforehand.
Did you mean the Casting Crowns concert this weekend or a concert in two weeks?

I had forgotten about the rule where if you get a group of Baptists together they have to all act like they don't drink alcohol. :rolleyes:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Had an awesome day here in Tuscaloosa. Did just about everything with low crowds then grabbed takeout from Archibald's in Northport. Going to grab a few beers with the wife then get to bed for an early start tomorrow.

No matter what happens tomorrow, today made the trip worthwhile. From a Buckeye, the Alabama campus is beautiful.

Roll Tide!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Had an awesome day here in Tuscaloosa. Did just about everything with low crowds then grabbed takeout from Archibald's in Northport. Going to grab a few beers with the wife then get to bed for an early start tomorrow.

No matter what happens tomorrow, today made the trip worthwhile. From a Buckeye, the Alabama campus is beautiful.

Roll Tide!
Looks like a movie set...

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Roll Tide!
Great idea to do it all today. Glad you guys had a great day. I can’t wait to go down there tomorrow.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

Roll Tide!
If you get a chance, go to Edgar's Bakery. It is not far from the campus. They have yummy treats. I will be there this weekend visiting relatives. We are also going to the Bama v TN softball game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Did the locker room tour. Very cool. Getting coffee and looking around.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
where is the fan fest setting up?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
It is set up on the grass between the northeast corner of the stadium and University. The line for pictures with the trophies is at least an hour long already.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
B1G, so glad you are getting to visit T-town today. Remembering this is your first time to visit I hope you have a great time.

But no matter how much you enjoy the campus today, the sights and smells of the quad, the pagentry and beauty of BDS...you gotta go back for a game in the fall!!!

There's nothing, in terms of entertainment, that excites my senses like a game day in T-town in the fall of the year!!!

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I’m glad BIGTide’s A-Day experience went/is going good!

Ours didn’t go so well. My girlfriend has never been to a Bama game and I thought today I would finally get to take her to at least A-Day when I saw that they had an upgrade to reserve seating in the shaded area of the stadium. She has sensitivity to the sun, so sitting out in the direct sunlight for several hours ruled out midday games for me and her to attend.

We got inside stadium a little over an hour before kickoff and went to the section instructed in my upgrade instructions only to see that there were no ushers checking credentials and anyone and everyone had completely filled all the seats (save for one seat here or there scattered throughout). There were several other people in the same situation. We searched to try and find 2 seats together until kickoff.

I emailed the Bama game day experience support, and it was an absolute joke. I felt like I was dealing with Verizon or the cable company customer service reps. I explained that there were no stadium staff restricting anyone from accessing the seating area that we paid for a seat in, and in turn, anyone and everyone had filled the area and there were no seats over an hour before kickoff. I got this response 3 different times, after 3 times of thoroughly going into detail what the issue was... “so sir, do you mean that the stadium staff is not giving you access to the area? We are dispatching additional staff to your area to help current staff address your problem”. We finally saw 2 different ushers come up later at two of the entrances that were only there to tell people the section was filled up. I told them what was going on and they just shrugged their shoulders like “sorry”.

I finally sent a 4th email saying “no, I don’t have access because the seating is full in the area I paid to have 2 seats in, and now the game is already started, so we are leaving”. They never replied back.

I am so glad I didn’t decide to pay $40 to put a message on the Jumbotron to my girlfriend on her first time at BDS like I was so close to doing. I’d be out gas, parking, and seat upgrade fees, plus the $40 for a message she never got to see. It’s gonna take a lot of persuading to get her to go back after this I’m afraid. The folks we encountered were also being uncharacteristically rude today as well by running into us many many times and bullying their way around in the crowds. I’ve personally been to many games in years past and never had the problem like today. All of this was her first impression though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonathan_FKLN

Mar 11, 2018
Hamilton, GA
I’m glad BIGTide’s A-Day experience went/is going good!

Ours didn’t go so well. My girlfriend has never been to a Bama game and I thought today I would finally get to take her to at least A-Day when I saw that they had an upgrade to reserve seating in the shaded area of the stadium. She has sensitivity to the sun, so sitting out in the direct sunlight for several hours ruled out midday games for me and her to attend.

We got inside stadium a little over an hour before kickoff and went to the section instructed in my upgrade instructions only to see that there were no ushers checking credentials and anyone and everyone had completely filled all the seats (save for one seat here or there scattered throughout). There were several other people in the same situation. We searched to try and find 2 seats together until kickoff.

I emailed the Bama game day experience support, and it was an absolute joke. I felt like I was dealing with Verizon or the cable company customer service reps. I explained that there were no stadium staff restricting anyone from accessing the seating area that we paid for a seat in, and in turn, anyone and everyone had filled the area and there were no seats over an hour before kickoff. I got this response 3 different times, after 3 times of thoroughly going into detail what the issue was... “so sir, do you mean that the stadium staff is not giving you access to the area? We are dispatching additional staff to your area to help current staff address your problem”. We finally saw 2 different ushers come up later at two of the entrances that were only there to tell people the section was filled up. I told them what was going on and they just shrugged their shoulders like “sorry”.

I finally sent a 4th email saying “no, I don’t have access because the seating is full in the area I paid to have 2 seats in, and now the game is already started, so we are leaving”. They never replied back.

I am so glad I didn’t decide to pay $40 to put a message on the Jumbotron to my girlfriend on her first time at BDS like I was so close to doing. I’d be out gas, parking, and seat upgrade fees, plus the $40 for a message she never got to see. It’s gonna take a lot of persuading to get her to go back after this I’m afraid. The folks we encountered were also being uncharacteristically rude today as well by running into us many many times and bullying their way around in the crowds. I’ve personally been to many games in years past and never had the problem like today. All of this was her first impression though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can vouch for the accuracy of this post. This was my wife's first trip to a game at BDS, and we purchased the shaded seating upgrade. Fortunately, we got there in time for a seat, but no usher ever checked to make sure we had bought the upgrade (even though I offered). It was evident early on that lots of people were pouring into the area who had not purchased the upgrade. A family seated behind us even stated in an usher's hearing that they had not made the purchase, but they were not relocated from the area. We overheard people who had purchased the upgrade being turned away, while people who had not were allowed to remain. I also can vouch for the rudeness--it was very uncharacteristic of Alabama fans. The concessions and parking were poorly organized today, as well. My wife's first BDS gameday experience was not a positive one.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
I've worked concessions at BDS in the past with various school groups and games like A-Day and the crap games were always worse on the rudness factor. You get the bubbas coming in that can't afford to come any other time and their behavior was horrible. Working the same stand over a few years you get to recognize the season ticket holders and they are always more gracious, more likely to tip, etc.

ETA: Concessions at A-Day are always a crap shoot. The concession company withholds 2% all season long (which adds up to a couple of thousand dollars) and you have to come back and work A-Day to get that money. They groups don't want to be there, don't always have enough workers, may not be in their usual stand, and the menus are usually screwy too.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
One more note for those considering the Zones in the future for the spring game - food and drinks are included. Not amazing food, but good enough to keep us happy and fed/watered through the game. I would do it again in a second. And you get arm band's for admission, so everyone is assured of a great seat ( though about half were in full sun).

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.