Question: Alabama Spring Game

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Hey Guys - So you know our family story. What you may not know - while we have attended many Alabama games over the last 20 years, all have been on the road. That is to say, we have not been to an Alabama game together in Tuscaloosa. We may not be able to correct that this season, but it really looks like we will be able to get down to Tuscaloosa for the spring game.

So, my wife's family knows the area (though their knowledge is dated by a few decades since they all graduated a long time ago). We know that we want to eat at Archibald's (her family's favorite). We will likely be there for a few days. Anyplace else we should be sure to hit for a meal? Anyplace in particular that we should be considering for convenient lodging?

We know that we want to tour the campus and museum. I have pulled up recent campus maps and it all makes sense to my wife. Hoe does all of this relate to the parking available on the day of the spring game? Any idea how early stuff will open up that morning since the game doesn't begin until early afternoon?

Finally, for the game itself, how early shuld we arrive and where should we go first? Not going for autographs, but I really want my wife to enjoy her day.

Any thoughts as I start to plan this trip? I appreciate the help.

Ratal

3rd Team
Aug 29, 2006
I really enjoy going to DePalma's. I also like Waysiders for breakfast. My future MIL works for the university so we were able to stay with her and user a parking pass last year. I will say this. Even though it was spring last year it was VERY hot inside the stadium. I would get there early enough to get a place in the shade. If you are coming through Birmingham I have always aimed for staying at Greystone Inn and Suites. It is about 10 miles out of town but fairly nice and typically cheaper than in town.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Waysider is a must for breakfast and I love a cheeseburger from Rama Jamas. These are hard to get in to on a game day though.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Archibald's in Northport is my favorite meal whenever we're in Tuscaloosa. It's a small building literally in his backyard. A close second is Archibald & Woodrow's in Tuscaloosa which, iirc, is run by Archibald's nephew.

As for the game, check out http://rolltide.com/experience on your mobile as the game draws near. You'll be able to purchase experience upgrades, such as reserved seating, access to the North or South Zones, locker room tours, and parking passes.

EDIT: Here is a link to an announcement about last year's A-Day experience upgrades:
http://tide1029.com/2017-golden-flake-a-day-experiences-announced/

Last edited:

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Rama Jama's is great for breakfast too. Get there early and parking won't be a problem. You will have to pay but no need to pre-pay. I usually park at or the other side of Central High School and walk. It is easy to get out from that side of 15th street unless you are staying in Tuscaloosa. If you are going to be there for a few days, there are a lot of good restaurants in T-Town. Nick's in the Sticks is a must. Try Dreamland (the original) and compare it to Archibald's. I love both. Chuck's Fish is awesome. Cypress Inn is always good. Enjoy yourselves and like was mentioned earlier, make sure you get in the shade. It typically is hot for the spring game and if you are under cover you will appreciate it if it rains too. Any day is a great day to be on campus. If your family hasn't been in several years they will be surprised at all of the new buildings. A few years back they were saying that they were averaging a new building every two months and I believe it. Roll Tide!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Archibald's in Northport is my favorite meal whenever we're in Tuscaloosa. It's a small building literally in his backyard. A close second is Archibald & Woodrow's in Tuscaloosa which, iirc, is run by Archibald's nephew.

As for the game, check out http://rolltide.com/experience on your mobile as the game draws near. You'll be able to purchase experience upgrades, such as reserved seating, access to the North or South Zones, locker room tours, and parking passes.

EDIT: Here is a link to an announcement about last year's A-Day experience upgrades:
http://tide1029.com/2017-golden-flake-a-day-experiences-announced/
Thanks - the locker room tour looks like something that we might consider. Any idea how much something like that would cost?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Waysider and City Cafe for breakfast.

Taco Casa and Dreamland for lunch.

Make sure to get Big Bad Wolf nachos before the game.
Thanks - are the nachos sold in the stadium?

Also, everyone keeps mentioning sitting in the shade. Is there a section that we should be looking at to be sure that we are in the shade?

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Thanks - the locker room tour looks like something that we might consider. Any idea how much something like that would cost?
IIRC, it was something like $10-$20 per person and you basically get 15-20 minutes to walk around the locker room, take pictures, etc., but it isn't really a guided tour and you aren't likely to run into any coaches or players. It is neat to see it, though, at least once.

Thanks - are the nachos sold in the stadium?

Also, everyone keeps mentioning sitting in the shade. Is there a section that we should be looking at to be sure that we are in the shade?
If you're looking for shade with the best view, you'll be looking for something in the West stands. However, even though the view isn't the best, I prefer sitting in one of the Zones for the A-Day game. You have first-come-first-served seats outside with a decent view of the game from the end-zone but you also have the option of standing inside, viewing the game through the window and/or watching it on the TVs, while enjoying virtually all-you-can eat hot dogs, nachos, cookies, brownies, and fountain drinks along with air-conditioned restrooms. Since my wife looks like she just stepped off the boat from Ireland, she spends most of the game inside out from under the sun. So far, we haven't been to a rainy A-Day game but, if that were to happen, being able to watch it from inside would be nice.

The field suites have, from what I understand, a similar setup except that you can't see the field from inside so you're stuck watching the TVs whenever you're inside. I've intended to use A-Day to try out one of the field suites but can't seem to pull myself away from the Zones.

Regardless of where you will end up sitting, virtually all of the seating/viewing spots are first-come-first-served so, while you'll want to soak up the atmosphere outside the stadium, you'll want to get to your seats relatively early if you want to ensure a good spot.

Also, if you go for the North Zone and get there early, you can get a pretty good bird's-eye view of the Walk of Champions.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Tuscaloosa has a couple of really good fine-dining restaurants. If you're up for a white tablecloth kind of place, I'd recommend River. On the river, great atmosphere, and good tables outside if the weather is good. Doesn't allow you to bring your own wine, but has an excellent selection of its own.

Evangeline's is really good, across the river near Indian Hills CC. Does allow outside wine for a reasonable corkage fee -- $15 or $20, I think.

Downtown has Side By Side in the Embassy Suites. Owned by Chris Hastings, who is no joke as a chef. If the name isn't familiar, Google him. He's the real deal.

All of those will run $75-$125 a couple, depending on your beverage choice.

Also downtown, Five is consistent and a good value. It's the next step down in price, so it hits the sweet spot for locals and students on a nice date. So it gets crowded.

A lot of people swear by Chuck's Fish, but I've been underwhelmed. It's almost as pricey as the first three above, but not really close to the quality. I just don't see the value there.

DePalma's is good, and a good value. But it's always packed, so get there early. Some would think this is blasphemy, but I just don't think it's worth the wait.

There's an excellent wine shop downtown, Carpe Vino.

If it was my last meal in Tuscaloosa, I'd go to River or make a stop at Carpe Vino and head to Evangeline's.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Isn't Big Bad Wolves still located across the street from Egans Bar?
Yes.

They set up there on game days (the patio of the Houndstooth Bar). Excellent finger food.

Just take it for what it is...an open-air dispensary of burgers, dogs, and barbecue sandwiches on game day.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Tuscaloosa has a couple of really good fine-dining restaurants. If you're up for a white tablecloth kind of place, I'd recommend River. On the river, great atmosphere, and good tables outside if the weather is good. Doesn't allow you to bring your own wine, but has an excellent selection of its own.

Evangeline's is really good, across the river near Indian Hills CC. Does allow outside wine for a reasonable corkage fee -- $15 or $20, I think.

Downtown has Side By Side in the Embassy Suites. Owned by Chris Hastings, who is no joke as a chef. If the name isn't familiar, Google him. He's the real deal.

All of those will run $75-$125 a couple, depending on your beverage choice.

Also downtown, Five is consistent and a good value. It's the next step down in price, so it hits the sweet spot for locals and students on a nice date. So it gets crowded.

A lot of people swear by Chuck's Fish, but I've been underwhelmed. It's almost as pricey as the first three above, but not really close to the quality. I just don't see the value there.

DePalma's is good, and a good value. But it's always packed, so get there early. Some would think this is blasphemy, but I just don't think it's worth the wait.

There's an excellent wine shop downtown, Carpe Vino.

If it was my last meal in Tuscaloosa, I'd go to River or make a stop at Carpe Vino and head to Evangeline's.
Are any of those places distinctively "Alabama"? I can eat in nice restaurants anywhere. I want an entire weekend filled with "Alabama".

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Are any of those places distinctively "Alabama"? I can eat in nice restaurants anywhere. I want an entire weekend filled with "Alabama".
If you mean Alabama athletics, no. None of them have memorabilia, pictures, etc., on the walls.

For that, I'd suggest:
-- Phil's Wings on the Strip -- good pub grub.

-- The original Dreamland in Jersulam Heights. Not owned by the Bishop family anymore (interesting IRS story there). I still think they have the best ribs, and this location is about as Alabama as you can get.

-- Nick's in the Sticks -- about a 15-20 minute drive to Eutaw. Been there since dirt...my parents went on dates there in the '50s. The original owner, Nick Delgado, died some years ago, and it's changed hands a few times. About as Alabama a roadhouse as you're going to find. I haven't been in a long time, so I don't have a bead on current quality.

-- The City Cafe in Northport. Breakfast and lunch. Old school meat and three, and an all-time classic. Gets really crowded at prime lunchtime, so either get there before 11:30 or after 1:00, or budget some wait time.

If you mean unique to the place, I'd put River in that category. It's right on the river and there are lots of tables outside, which is really nice in the right weather. Menu items are all sourced locally, so it's distinctively Alabama in that sense. Neat mix of upscale and casual. The best phrase I can come up with to describe it is, "blue jean formal."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.