Saban Announces Coaching Hires and New Positions

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Re: Coaching Carousel Continues...

Eno will provide inputs on playcalling, but I expect Locksley to call plays. So Locksley could be in the booth, while Eno is on sideline interacting with players... so whatever he see, hear.. he relay back to Locksley. That's my guess.
Probably, but we'll see...
Would make sense, especially with Enos being able to look the QB in the eyes. I know we got use to seeing Kiffin and Daboll on the sideline, but isn't it more common to have the play caller in the press box?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Would make sense, especially with Enos being able to look the QB in the eyes. I know we got use to seeing Kiffin and Daboll on the sideline, but isn't it more common to have the play caller in the press box?
Yes, and Kiff wanted the box. It was Saban who wanted him on the sideline and in more personal touch with the QB. We had people in the box who weren't supposed to be in touch with the sideline, except maybe at the half...

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

Yes, and Kiff wanted the box. It was Saban who wanted him on the sideline and in more personal touch with the QB. We had people in the box who weren't supposed to be in touch with the sideline, except maybe at the half...
I thought that rule was that the coaches in the box could not interact with the players, but that they could talk with coaches. Can't find any reference for that though so take with a grain of salt...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

At the risk of making the preeminent " Well duh !! " statement of the day, I sure do hope these guys are mucho simpatico, what with all this Co-this and Co-that. Plenty of room there for friction and dissension if they`re not. But..... that`s always a major concern with any group or staff anywhere.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

This is just a theory so don't get all tangled up. IMO, CNS originally wanted Enos for OC, but he had just accepted a job at Michigan coaching TEs. I also read somewhere on here that Enos had a noncompete clause relative to coaching in the SEC. Did CNS promote Locksley to OC because he thought Enos would not be available, or was it simply to keep Locksley from jumping to FSU and leaving the recruiting class vulnerable? Enos was the OC at Arkansas and QB coach for three years. My point, was Enos the real target for OC, and did CNS promote Locksley to save this recruiting class? Just a hunch.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I thought that rule was that the coaches in the box could not interact with the players, but that they could talk with coaches. Can't find any reference for that though so take with a grain of salt...
Analysts can be in the booth with headphones. They cannot have mics to communicate with the sideline, though. That's the difference from analysts and on-field coaches in the booth.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

At the risk of making the preeminent " Well duh !! " statement of the day, I sure do hope these guys are mucho simpatico, what with all this Co-this and Co-that. Plenty of room there for friction and dissension if they`re not. But..... that`s always a major concern with any group or staff anywhere.
It is always a concern in organizations but I believe less so when there is a strong committed leader who manages toward a set of objectives that lead toward a NC. They have to show up everyday at 7:30? and be geared to do their job. There is not much room for pettiness for anyone around the organization including players. Plus the fact that if they succeed as a team there is a big payday for the members who desire to be a head coach or some cases return to being a head coach.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
By retooling basically the entire staff with mostly young coaches, I sense that Saban isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. It’s usually not a sign of a man that is on a glide path to retirement, that’s for sure.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
By retooling basically the entire staff with mostly young coaches, I sense that Saban isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. It’s usually not a sign of a man that is on a glide path to retirement, that’s for sure.
He may well be at that career stage where a very major source of personal satisfaction is in mentoring younger professionals.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Last year Bama had co defensive and offensive coordinators.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
What is the significance of the associate head coach title vs O or D coordinator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
What is the significance of the associate head coach title vs O or D coordinator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At OSU it means that you are involved in all aspects of team management. It plugs you into everything and prepares you for a HC gig at some point. So, as an OC it means that you are pulled into defensive game planning, and vice versa. But no matter your coaching position, you become involved in staff management, player management, budget management, etc. No real responsibility, but a ton of learning.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

It is always a concern in organizations but I believe less so when there is a strong committed leader who manages toward a set of objectives that lead toward a NC. They have to show up everyday at 7:30? and be geared to do their job. There is not much room for pettiness for anyone around the organization including players. Plus the fact that if they succeed as a team there is a big payday for the members who desire to be a head coach or some cases return to being a head coach.
Earlier than 7:30, in season...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.