Link: SEC Country: Shaun Alexander discusses former teammate Jeremy Pruitt

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Tough for me to think about Pruitt one day moving in as our HC now. Once you have donned that ugly orange and aligned yourself with Phil Fulmer, I think of you as a Vol. I know he is one of our boys, but...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Would Urban Meyer be available? :cool2:
I've often wondered about Meyer considering how young he is but I just don't think he would want to come here. He is the closet thing to a contemporary that Saban has right now (though Dabo could be on his way to changing that) and I can't imagine it would be all that appealing to live in Saban's shadow forever. The only reason Dabo might not also feel that way is because of his connection to Alabama.

Edit: Also, why ever leave Ohio State? I could only see it if he went to the NFL first and failed or it just wasn't the atmosphere he wanted.
I'm curious to see how Pruitt does. It seems most everyone who has either worked with him or been coached by him, really likes him. But the road from very successful coordinator to very successful HC is filled with "corps" of once VERY GOOD and well respected coordinators. It is a very tough jump. I do wish him well, though wishing him well unfortunately means the team he coaches has to have very good success. Which I don't hope happens. So there you go. LOL!
Yea, I know there are some on here that think it was too soon for him to make this jump. I don't have any of that inside knowledge but I think he will recruit well enough that he should at least find some success. I hope he does well there but Fulmer makes it so dysfunctional that he leaves for another big time job where he really thrives before coming home. That's my ideal scenario.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Tough for me to think about Pruitt one day moving in as our HC now. Once you have donned that ugly orange and aligned yourself with Phil Fulmer, I think of you as a Vol. I know he is one of our boys, but...
I am kinda hoping that his next 4 years at TN will look a lot like the Dooley years. Nothing against Pruitt, but I don't want TN to win a single game.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I am kinda hoping that his next 4 years at TN will look a lot like the Dooley years. Nothing against Pruitt, but I don't want TN to win a single game.
Same here. I like Pruitt but I can't stand Fatimus and UcheaT worse. I hope they lose every game and if they happen to be playing awbarn I pray a meteorite falls from the sky and lands at midfield.

TraskiTideFan

1st Team
Apr 18, 2009
Savannah TN
I believe defensive coaches make better head coaches in the long run. Pruitt was my ideal head coach in waiting. I kid the Vol fans in my company that if they do Coach Pruitt like they did Bill Battle, we will have him back as AD in 15 years at least.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
If Saban Were to get hit by a freight train tonight, David Shaw would be my first call. I really don't think he'd come -- he just has too good a gig in Palo Alto -- but I'd make him tell me, "No."
That's pretty much how I think of him. I don't want Saban to ever retire, but know the day has to come sooner or, hopefully, much later. When I think who would do very well here, he is the first name that comes to mind. Can't say I would hate Franklin either, though I believe he is right where he wants to be also.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
Here's a fun but completely made up scenario that may or may not come true. Let's say in four years Pruitt is still at Tennessee and has really improved their program, but hasn't been able to bring any hardware to the Vols trophy case because of Kirby and Jawja. But he's got Tennessee back to winning 10+ games a year and is a force in the SEC. Dabo meanwhile hasn't won another NC but has continued to win the ACC title and make appearances in the college football playoffs barely missing on another "natty". Saban decides to hang up the whistle. Assuming both Pruitt and Dabo would jump on the job immediately. Who do you go with?
This has been a fascinating string, even the off-topic posts are interesting. That said, in response to the quoted post, given the terms set by BamaBuzzard, despite being no fan of his I'd have to go with Dabo simply because it seems to me that if Pruitt couldn't handle Smart's Georgia teams while coaching at UT, then no need to import that problem to Alabama.

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
How about Richt?
It seems to me rather than make his philosophies work no matter where he goes, Richt changes his philosophy where he goes. At UGA, he had the aw shucks "good Christian man" persona, but as soon as he was back at the U he grows a goatee and his shoving refs. So if he came to Tusc, I feel like he'd try to act like a mini-Saban preaching the process because he thinks that what we'll want to hear.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I would take Dabo in that scenario.
I am curious to see how Pruitt does at UT, but that association with PF would have me more worried than the people who worry about the Dumbose connection with Dabo.
I would never want Meyer due to the things that went on at UF.
Shaw is an interesting character, and he seems like a good coach, but I don't see anything that says great coach about him.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I would take Dabo in that scenario.
I am curious to see how Pruitt does at UT, but that association with PF would have me more worried than the people who worry about the Dumbose connection with Dabo.
I would never want Meyer due to the things that went on at UF.
Shaw is an interesting character, and he seems like a good coach, but I don't see anything that says great coach about him.
With Fatso back in the picture at UcheaT I wonder how long it is going to take for him to be trying to go out of his way to get back on his mission of putting Alabama "out of business". Because I know he still hates us with a burning passion.

I feel the same way about Shaw. I think he's a solid coach. But nothing that screams "great".

Last edited:

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus
Here's a fun but completely made up scenario that may or may not come true. Let's say in four years Pruitt is still at Tennessee and has really improved their program, but hasn't been able to bring any hardware to the Vols trophy case because of Kirby and Jawja. But he's got Tennessee back to winning 10+ games a year and is a force in the SEC. Dabo meanwhile hasn't won another NC but has continued to win the ACC title and make appearances in the college football playoffs barely missing on another "natty". Saban decides to hang up the whistle. Assuming both Pruitt and Dabo would jump on the job immediately. Who do you go with?
4 years? Dabo's schtick doesn't bother me, but based upon your scenario, JP for certain.

Just keep in mind that Alabama will be able to draw just about any HC in the industry when Saban retires. No reason to limit the search. Heck, if I were Alabama I would try to pull Meyer away from OSU before I looked anywhere else (though I don't think it would work).
Not so sure. There will be a lot of contracts extended with obscene increases, but who would really want to follow Saban?

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
With Fatso back in the picture at UcheaT I wonder how long it is going to take for him to be trying to go out of his way to get back on his mission of putting Alabama "out of business". Because I know he still hates us with a burning passion.
I feel the same way about Shaw. I think he's a solid coach. But nothing that screams "great".
Good point,but Phat Phil does not have Dumbledorph Roy Kramer to watch his back and protect him now. UcheaT is really hurting to bring him back into the program. I think Pruitt is smart enough to watch his back. He lived thru those miserable years as a player at Bama . I wish him no ill will but I would be very happy if they went 2 and 9 next year.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
From the outside looking in, it appears Pruitt did not burn any bridges with Alabama during the playoffs and NC game by spending his time on 10RC. If that is the case, then I would go with Pruitt and then pay a bunch of money to get Venables our of Clempson. Getting great D coaches is far more difficult than finding Offensive minds. You only have to look to the Big 12 and PAC 12 for those.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.