Link: SEC Country: Shaun Alexander discusses former teammate Jeremy Pruitt

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus
This is from a few months ago (sorry if already posted), but I just ran across it and laughed out loud at the very end of the video https://youtu.be/HwsFu_Ulc_8?t=2m24s. I have been a big fan of #37 since he ran wild at LSU as a freshman for Bebes.

As a side note, I found his comment about Pruitt eventually returning to Tuscaloosa particularly interesting. Yes, he is the enemy for now (agreed crimsonaudio :wink:), but I believe there are quite a number of us who are thinking along the same line at the moment, notwithstanding his association with Fulmer and puke orange.

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/tennessee-jeremy-pruitt-shaun-alexander-vols-tide-football

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This is from a few months ago (sorry if already posted), but I just ran across it and laughed out loud at the very end of the video https://youtu.be/HwsFu_Ulc_8?t=2m24s. I have been a big fan of #37 since he ran wild at LSU as a freshman for Bebes.

As a side note, I found his comment about Pruitt eventually returning to Tuscaloosa particularly interesting. Yes, he is the enemy for now (agreed crimsonaudio :wink:), but I believe there are quite a number of us who are thinking along the same line at the moment, notwithstanding his association with Fulmer and puke orange.

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/tennessee-jeremy-pruitt-shaun-alexander-vols-tide-football
My dream is that Pruitt puts the Dabo talk to rest. I'm not anti Dabo like some here but I MUCH rather have Pruitt (assuming he proves himself as a HC).

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
DuBose had Pruitt, Bruce Arians and Dabo Swinney on his staff! Not a bad group of young assistants. Too bad they were wasting on a staff headed by Dubose.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
DuBose had Pruitt, Bruce Arians and Dabo Swinney on his staff! Not a bad group of young assistants. Too bad they were wasting on a staff headed by Dubose.
At that point they were all still trying to figure it out. Too much too soon for that group, IMO. I also believe that Dubose would have turned into a pretty good coach if he had not been thrust into a role this far over his head so early in his career. His failure seems to have destroyed him.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
My dream is that Pruitt puts the Dabo talk to rest. I'm not anti Dabo like some here but I MUCH rather have Pruitt (assuming he proves himself as a HC).
Here's a fun but completely made up scenario that may or may not come true. Let's say in four years Pruitt is still at Tennessee and has really improved their program, but hasn't been able to bring any hardware to the Vols trophy case because of Kirby and Jawja. But he's got Tennessee back to winning 10+ games a year and is a force in the SEC. Dabo meanwhile hasn't won another NC but has continued to win the ACC title and make appearances in the college football playoffs barely missing on another "natty". Saban decides to hang up the whistle. Assuming both Pruitt and Dabo would jump on the job immediately. Who do you go with?

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Here's a fun but completely made up scenario that may or may not come true. Let's say in four years Pruitt is still at Tennessee and has really improved their program, but hasn't been able to bring any hardware to the Vols trophy case because of Kirby and Jawja. But he's got Tennessee back to winning 10+ games a year and is a force in the SEC. Dabo meanwhile hasn't won another NC but has continued to win the ACC title and make appearances in the college football playoffs barely missing on another "natty". Saban decides to hang up the whistle. Assuming both Pruitt and Dabo would jump on the job immediately. Who do you go with?
Depends - do you get Venables with Dabo?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I would probably look for door #3 at that point.
Until I have knowledge of what role Dabo played in all the Dubose debacle I would go with Dabo given the above scenario. People said Dabo would fall flat on his face after Chad Morris bolted and Boyd graduated. Yet the opposite happened. My guess is the same would happen if Venables left.

This isn't directed at you, but I think Dabo's persona comes off as he's not a very smart "football"/"X's & O's" type person. That he simply recruits good talent, puts people around him who truly know football, while he walks around quoting scripture and doing cheers. But I do wonder if Dabo knows a lot more about football than he's given credit for?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Until I have knowledge of what role Dabo played in all the Dubose debacle I would go with Dabo given the above scenario. People said Dabo would fall flat on his face after Chad Morris bolted and Boyd graduated. Yet the opposite happened. My guess is the same would happen if Venables left.

This isn't directed at you, but I think Dabo's persona comes off as he's not a very smart "football"/"X's & O's" type person. That he simply recruits good talent, puts people around him who truly know football, while he walks around quoting scripture and doing cheers. But I do wonder if Dabo knows a lot more about football than he's given credit for?
It's not that I don't recognize what Dabo has accomplished to this point, it is just that it seems like every one of those teams played over its head. None of those Clemson teams felt like an Alabama or Ohio State juggernaut. But somehow they have won those games. It just feels like smoke and mirrors to me, even though it clearly is not. Something that I just need to get over.

As for Pruitt - I understand why Alabama fans love him so much right now.

Just keep in mind that Alabama will be able to draw just about any HC in the industry when Saban retires. No reason to limit the search. Heck, if I were Alabama I would try to pull Meyer away from OSU before I looked anywhere else (though I don't think it would work).

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

This isn't directed at you, but I think Dabo's persona comes off as he's not a very smart "football"/"X's & O's" type person. That he simply recruits good talent, puts people around him who truly know football, while he walks around quoting scripture and doing cheers. But I do wonder if Dabo knows a lot more about football than he's given credit for?[/QUOTE]

Personally, I think that`s a question we`d probably want to know the answer to before he came to UA as head football coach. I will say this though. The ability to select and surround yourself with high level talent (players, coaches ) and create an environment/culture that allows them to reach their potential is a hallmark of a good leader IMHO.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
It's not that I don't recognize what Dabo has accomplished to this point, it is just that it seems like every one of those teams played over its head. None of those Clemson teams felt like an Alabama or Ohio State juggernaut. But somehow they have won those games. It just feels like smoke and mirrors to me, even though it clearly is not. Something that I just need to get over.

As for Pruitt - I understand why Alabama fans love him so much right now.

Just keep in mind that Alabama will be able to draw just about any HC in the industry when Saban retires. No reason to limit the search. Heck, if I were Alabama I would try to pull Meyer away from OSU before I looked anywhere else (though I don't think it would work).
Oh no doubt. I was just creating a scenario (completely made up obviously) in which if the choices came down to Pruitt or Dabo, and those were the last two available on your short list. Who would you go with. I completely agree that Bama would have more options than just those two.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Oh no doubt. I was just creating a scenario (completely made up obviously) in which if the choices came down to Pruitt or Dabo, and those were the last two available on your short list. Who would you go with. I completely agree that Bama would have more options than just those two.
Then, between the two in your scenario, I go with Dabo. Playing in 3 or more CFP could not be ignored.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I know this is a hypothetical but I wouldn't be completely shocked if this played out. And, its a hard question. I would be tempted by Pruitt because I think he would be able to do more here than he could with the Vols and I prefer his personality. But, I think Dabo still has to be your first call (assuming there isn't another coach that has risen and is under consideration).

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I know this is a hypothetical but I wouldn't be completely shocked if this played out. And, its a hard question. I would be tempted by Pruitt because I think he would be able to do more here than he could with the Vols and I prefer his personality. But, I think Dabo still has to be your first call (assuming there isn't another coach that has risen and is under consideration).
I'm curious to see how Pruitt does. It seems most everyone who has either worked with him or been coached by him, really likes him. But the road from very successful coordinator to very successful HC is filled with "corps" of once VERY GOOD and well respected coordinators. It is a very tough jump. I do wish him well, though wishing him well unfortunately means the team he coaches has to have very good success. Which I don't hope happens. So there you go. LOL!

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.