Have the Olympics Run its Course in History

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't think anybody cares about the Russian state supporting athletes. The Olympic games did away with real amateur athletes long ago. (Anybody consider Charles Barkley an "amateur" in 1996) I think the real problem was the Russian doping.
Trap doors in the urinalysis sample rooms is a typical Russian ploy. Their response at getting caught was probably "Well, you guys are doing it too! Why are you picking on us?"
The Russian World (Русский мир) demonstrating its superiority through success in international competition to me is a lot less threatening than international communism. What does the Русский мир stand for? Being anti-gay, supporting the Russian Orthodox Church (without taking the tenets of Christianity too seriously) and singing the praises of Vladimir Putin? That ain't gonna sell in Vietnam or El Sal or Angola. Communism, however, sold quite nicely in those environments and still sells on American college campuses.
Russia today is an oddball pariah, albeit one with nuclear weapons and an army that is illegally in several neighboring countries. Not harmless, but not what they used to be.
Well, I hadn't intended to broaden it out like that. :) The sports commenter was making the point that the rest of the world doesn't do it like the Russians are doing it now, not by a long shot. As far as its danger to the rest of the world, IDK and IDC. It's just that everyone else's doing to is neither true nor germane...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't think anybody cares about the Russian state supporting athletes. The Olympic games did away with real amateur athletes long ago. (Anybody consider Charles Barkley an "amateur" in 1996) I think the real problem was the Russian doping.
Trap doors in the urinalysis sample rooms is a typical Russian ploy. Their response at getting caught was probably "Well, you guys are doing it too! Why are you picking on us?"
The Russian World (Русский мир) demonstrating its superiority through success in international competition to me is a lot less threatening than international communism. What does the Русский мир stand for? Being anti-gay, supporting the Russian Orthodox Church (without taking the tenets of Christianity too seriously) and singing the praises of Vladimir Putin? That ain't gonna sell in Vietnam or El Sal or Angola. Communism, however, sold quite nicely in those environments and still sells on American college campuses.
Russia today is an oddball pariah, albeit one with nuclear weapons and an army that is illegally in several neighboring countries. Not harmless, but not what they used to be.
And as I pointed out in the Carl Lewis-Ben Johnson saga - we WERE doing it and covered it up.

Russia is a lot like Auburn and no, not everybody is cheating but.......there's more going on than we want to admit or than we know of.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
And as I pointed out in the Carl Lewis-Ben Johnson saga - we WERE doing it and covered it up.

Russia is a lot like Auburn and no, not everybody is cheating but.......there's more going on than we want to admit or than we know of.
I see everyone is missing my point, on purpose, I guess. Russia is not banned for occasional failed tests. Russia is presently banned for widespread, state-sponsored doping, first time in history. NO ONE else has been doing that since the Soviet era...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I see everyone is missing my point, on purpose, I guess. Russia is not banned for occasional failed tests. Russia is presently banned for widespread, state-sponsored doping, first time in history. NO ONE else has been doing that since the Soviet era...
You’re correct - I did miss your point. My bad.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I don't watch the winter olympics much outside of curling. Ever since they started showing it a lot I've been hooked. I'd love to play (or try it)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't watch the winter olympics much outside of curling. Ever since they started showing it a lot I've been hooked. I'd love to play (or try it)
I agree. There's a lot of subtlety to it. As I pointed out way above, I just don't expect the winter games to play well in the south. It's be unusual if it did. I'm a bit different in that I've ice skated and both cross-country and downhill skied. Huntsville is unusual in that so many people are snow country transplants. Huntsville supports junior, high school, college (UAH) and pro hockey. So it's natural that the winter games are more popular here. It's harder to relate to what you have no experience with...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.