Student thought math symbol looked like a gun

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It looks like the kid just said the symbol looked like a gun (which it kind of does) and things snowballed from there. I don’t think the kid was scared, but the school system overreacted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Deputies say another student made a comment that the symbol looked like a gun and several other students made similar comments. According to investigators, the comment made by the student in question "could" sound like a threat when taken out of context.

Detectives also searched the students home and found no evidence that he possessed or had immediate access to any type of firearm. Investigators say there was no evidence that the student had any intent to commit harm to students or faculty.
So some students trolled the school system by talking about how math symbols looked like a gun, probably to poke fun and push limits and, by the logical extension of zero-tolerance policy, get square roots banned, which would be absolutely hilarious to a kid.

School has the obligation to take even stupid joking remarks seriously, and they go through the motions and find absolutely nothing, just as they expected to find. Everyone involved probably was not concerned about this kid at all, but just did what they had to do.

It's a little alarming that saying something looks like a gun could result in a home search. As a parent, I would be irritated. I wouldn't be surprised if we had more of these type of incidents, "I am Spartacus" style just to show how dumb it is.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.