Game Thread: Arkansas @ Bama

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I tend to agree with this. There has been 4 or 5 games this year we should have won. I guess you are what your record says you are. We are just not a mentally tough team. We have had opportunity to win a bunch of games we just frittered away. I am so tired of us underachieving.

Our inside game has simply disappeared. There is a direct correlation between our losses and our sudden loss of an inside presence. I realize Donta is hurt, but we have 2 other guys capable of playing at a decent level and we are getting nothing out of them.

GboyBama

3rd Team
May 7, 2010
Mobile, AL
Was at Coleman this afternoon and also at a wake this last Wednesday.

The wake was more exciting.

I've been a blind supporter of CAJ thus far and I am still hopeful, but this has shaken my confidence. We played a pathetic game in a must win situation.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Yep- we are up 4 with about 10 minutes left and Sexton, Petty and Hall are all on the bench. The lineup of Avery Jr, Reese, Giddens, Jones and Ingram is simply not going to score very much. We are down 2 when he puts the starters back in. Awful. I know getting on coaches is not really acceptable here but this one is on Avery from a motivation and focus standpoint. Just do not understand.
That and some of the lineup decisions just puzzle me...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Yep- we are up 4 with about 10 minutes left and Sexton, Petty and Hall are all on the bench. The lineup of Avery Jr, Reese, Giddens, Jones and Ingram is simply not going to score very much. We are down 2 when he puts the starters back in. Awful. I know getting on coaches is not really acceptable here but this one is on Avery from a motivation and focus standpoint. Just do not understand.
Reasonable criticism of coaches and players is and has always been acceptable here.

This was a tough loss.

Something is off with this team of late. I don't know if I've ever seen such late game disintegrations by "star" players as I've seen in the last few games. There's a reason for it, but what that is I haven't a clue.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
A not-so-happy thought . . What if Coach Johnson isn't really an upgrade to Grant? So far, the results aren't indicating he is.

I can think of plenty of reasons, HOWEVER . . . . The results in Ws and Ls aren't much - if any - better.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yea I agree, something appears to be off with this team. I'm trying to give CAJ time but things are not looking good. We could still make a run in the SEC Tourney and make it the hard way but it's hard to get your hopes up when this team is so inconsistent.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Not sure why fatigue should be a factor any more for Bama than any other team. We rotate plenty of players. A team with 7 players ran us out of the gym the other night. We lack mental toughness and cohesiveness right now, and 30 games into the season- we are who we are.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Conditioning could be an issue. But more likely it's a play like you practice issue. It appears to me there is not enough time being spent on fundamentals in practice.

Let's see from grant to Avery, recruiting has improved which was an absolute must. Offensive pace has improved. Ball movement has improved but turnovers have escalated. Perimeter shooting has improved but rebounding has suffered. Overall, some things have improved while some things have regressed.

It just seems like Avery needs to work on the structure of his program and raise the expectation level for the players. I am not sure he has completely adjusted to the college game yet.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
that last game was pretty bad however i'm still onboard. i still say it takes time to build the type of program we want to be. I could see CAJ making a couple of different adjustments in his philosophy. he appears to still be adjusting to the college game. especially with lineups. i'd like to see more of a system that plays to our individual strengths. to many times we have players in positions where they are doing things they arent good at. and our individual on ball defense is atrocious. i've never seen so many players go for pump fakes. our scheme does a good job in making it not look so bad during games

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Anyone who thinks Coach Johnson isn't way above the level on Grant has to be smoking something. Are we great right now, no. Will we bet better in a few years, yes. Coach Johnson does need to make some adjustment to the college game. He sometimes coaches like his rooster is the Dallas Mav's. Right now we have some good pieces, but the puzzle is still being filled out. I think we'd be a different team if Norris and Davis were playing this year. Senior leadership would be invaluable.

The one thing I think we need to see is a tougher team. The refs have allowed physical play this year(it reminds me of the old Detroit Piston Bad boys) and we have backed down every in every game that we got outmuscled. We just aren't built for that kind of play. Our offensive his not what has caused us to lose the last 3 games. It has been our defense and turnovers. Coach Johnson can clean that up hopefully.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
A not-so-happy thought . . What if Coach Johnson isn't really an upgrade to Grant? So far, the results aren't indicating he is.

I can think of plenty of reasons, HOWEVER . . . . The results in Ws and Ls aren't much - if any - better.
There is no doubt he is better than Grant was. But he's really under achieved this year. Still, we need to let things play out and see how they finish. As we've said over and over, all tournaments are about match ups. Alabama has 2 games left to make a final statement to the committee, and then there is the SEC tournament in which we can get on a hot streak. If we make it in the big dance, again, it's about match ups there and there is no telling how it will go.

I'm really let down with how this season has gone, and it has me questioning the coaching but it is only Coach Johnson's 3rd year, and it's his third year overall in college coaching. I don't care about the NBA. It's night and day different than collegiate coaching. So while I'm down, there is still a lot left to accomplish this season (everything is still up for grabs, really), and its just his third season and he can certainly improve. We'll have a lot of talent coming back next year, older and better.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
There is no doubt he is better than Grant was. But he's really under achieved this year. Still, we need to let things play out and see how they finish. As we've said over and over, all tournaments are about match ups. Alabama has 2 games left to make a final statement to the committee, and then there is the SEC tournament in which we can get on a hot streak. If we make it in the big dance, again, it's about match ups there and there is no telling how it will go.

I'm really let down with how this season has gone, and it has me questioning the coaching but it is only Coach Johnson's 3rd year, and it's his third year overall in college coaching. I don't care about the NBA. It's night and day different than collegiate coaching. So while I'm down, there is still a lot left to accomplish this season (everything is still up for grabs, really), and its just his third season and he can certainly improve. We'll have a lot of talent coming back next year, older and better.
I don't disagree with anything you have said. If we play like the team that beat Tennessee and Oklahoma, we can beat almost anyone, but the other side of the coin, is if we play badly we can lose to anyone as well. If you look ahead, we have 3 really good recruits coming in next year so as I've said before, next year may be the make or break year. We'll be more experienced and I think we'll have more production out of the PG position, maybe not in points, but assists. Collin looks like a 2 guard to me, not a point guard.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Coaches are judged by wins and losses. So far he is 54-41 with two one and dones in the NIT. If we don’t see significant improvement by next year, his seat should be pretty hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Coaches are judged by wins and losses. So far he is 54-41 with two one and dones in the NIT. If we don’t see significant improvement by next year, his seat should be pretty hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I completely agree. Avery deserves next year - no question about that - but, if we don't make the tournament this year or next year it just makes sense to at least look around and see what the alternatives are. The basketball program was not a dumpster fire when he took over. It was talent deficient but we were not on any kind of NCAA probation / sanctions and he has the full support of the athletic department. Should be a situation where a coach can come in and poor gasoline on the fire but so far that hasn't happened..

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I completely agree. Avery deserves next year - no question about that - but, if we don't make the tournament this year or next year it just makes sense to at least look around and see what the alternatives are. The basketball program was not a dumpster fire when he took over. It was talent deficient but we were not on any kind of NCAA probation / sanctions and he has the full support of the athletic department. Should be a situation where a coach can come in and poor gasoline on the fire but so far that hasn't happened..
I disagree that next year should be the "contract decision" year. I think 5 years gives everyone enough time to either move ahead or make a move. I also think while it was not a dumpster fire, it was close. We had one player, Retin who kept us afloat the first year and last year was smoke and mirrors. I think you can start with this year to begin to judge Coach Johnson's record, but the previous 2 were almost completely coach Grant's players so I think it is unreasonable to look any further back than this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.