HBO seems to be in the revisionist history business with “Paterno”

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I honestly don’t know where to put this (non sports or football) so I apologize to the mods up front if it is on the wrong board.

HBO has released a trailer for their upcoming movie “ Paterno” starring Al Pacino. I can’t link the trailer due to one word in it, but it seems the trailer is giving Paterno a big pass and condemning McQuery ( which there are some issues I have with him) and the reporter that broke the story. It just seems wrong on many levels to make this movie as absolving Paterno while down playing the main issue.

Thoughts.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I honestly don’t know where to put this (non sports or football) so I apologize to the mods up front if it is on the wrong board.

HBO has released a trailer for their upcoming movie “ Paterno” starring Al Pacino. I can’t link the trailer due to one word in it, but it seems the trailer is giving Paterno a big pass and condemning McQuery ( which there are some issues I have with him) and the reporter that broke the story. It just seems wrong on many levels to make this movie as absolving Paterno while down playing the main issue.

Thoughts.
Hitler wasn't at the Wannsee Conference, so he wasn't responsible either.

I think it is best for Penn State to issue a permanent mea culpa, and show they are sincere by never having a nice thing to say about Paterno ever again.

Of course, maybe Hitler did some good things as well.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
There's no way Paterno didn't know what was going on long before the McQuery incident. He (McQuery) does have some blame, but Paterno looked the other way while that monster was hurting little boys. I won't watch this movie.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Hitler wasn't at the Wannsee Conference, so he wasn't responsible either.

I think it is best for Penn State to issue a permanent mea culpa, and show they are sincere by never having a nice thing to say about Paterno ever again.

Of course, maybe Hitler did some good things as well.
Well, without Hitler we might not have Volkswagen or cloverleaf intersections, so take that for what it's worth. :)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Thoughts.
*** Heavy sigh *** Welcome to what passes for journalism these days.

I would say that this erodes my faith in reporters. But I've had none for some time now, so that would be mathematically impossible,

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed

Thoughts.
Nothing is going to change people perception about that ugliness at Penn State. Penn State apologists will be thrill with the film, and the anti-PSU people are going to roll their eyes at this crap.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know what I think of Paterno, and it is going to take a lot of new data for that to change - hard data.

As for the movie - I'll reserve judgment until I see it. HBO tends to shoot pretty straight in these movies. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If the Paterno apologists had fought as hard for those kids as they have to rehab his shoddy rep, I’d think better of them.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
It just seems wrong on many levels to make this movie as absolving Paterno while down playing the main issue.

Thoughts.
My main thought would be that in very general terms a trailer shows you about 2% of a movie so it's a little early to judge based off just a trailer.

With that said the other thought is that I still want Penn State plowed under and the earth salted.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
4Q, This is a movie, not a documentary/journalism. It may loosely follow the facts or make up its own. Even the most reality-based films manufacture scenes, characters and events to make a movie, well, a movie. We’ll see soon enough how far this one goes.

QUOTE=4Q Basket Case;3188836]*** Heavy sigh *** Welcome to what passes for journalism these days.

I would say that this erodes my faith in reporters. But I've had none for some time now, so that would be mathematically impossible,[/QUOTE]

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't guess HBO did it, but "The People vs OJ Simpson" was VERY well done - and it was a movie.

So it CAN be done, but......

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
*** Heavy sigh *** Welcome to what passes for journalism these days.

I would say that this erodes my faith in reporters. But I've had none for some time now, so that would be mathematically impossible,
SURPRISE. A media report is biased! Surprise.

Pick a subject, any subject. If the media reports it then it will be slanted to give a view because every single media outlet has an agenda. It sucks but that is the way it is. False news is alive and well, it just depends on one's view whether it is false or not.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, without Hitler we might not have Volkswagen or cloverleaf intersections, so take that for what it's worth. :)
Well, Hitler and Trump were both great with slogans - "Make American Great Again," and "Mach Deutschland Wieder Gross." However, Hitler never had to really campaign, in the electoral sense, so he didn't need to have caps made up. However, a lot of politicians have used almost the same wording...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
SURPRISE. A media report is biased! Surprise.

Pick a subject, any subject. If the media reports it then it will be slanted to give a view because every single media outlet has an agenda. It sucks but that is the way it is. False news is alive and well, it just depends on one's view whether it is false or not.
Or whether or not one happens just not to like it. Trump's viewpoint and I reject it...

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
In a 2017 Gallup poll, the public had a 20% and 21% positive view of newspapers and television. This was behind organized labor, the criminal justice system, banks, the presidency, the Supreme Court, the medical system, et al. Only Congress, Big business and the Cosa Nostra had a less positive view.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In a 2017 Gallup poll, the public had a 20% and 21% positive view of newspapers and television. This was behind organized labor, the criminal justice system, banks, the presidency, the Supreme Court, the medical system, et al. Only Congress, Big business and the Cosa Nostra had a less positive view.

And they’ve caused it themselves.

I’m with Earle in that I reject the insane notion that whether news is “fake” or not depends on whether I like it. The problem is they’ve so obviously grinded so many axes that mere suspicion undercuts their credibility.

In regards to Paterno.....there’s some debate (if we are honest about it) regarding what he knew when, and I don’t know if we’ll ever know the full story. However, there’s NO question that a guy of his stature - a guy who practically ran the campus and protected players from admin discipline - could have gotten Sandusky removed in two seconds if he wanted. When his family argues his only obligation was to tell admin and he did, they’re arguing legality, not morality.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
And they’ve caused it themselves.

I’m with Earle in that I reject the insane notion that whether news is “fake” or not depends on whether I like it. The problem is they’ve so obviously grinded so many axes that mere suspicion undercuts their credibility.

In regards to Paterno.....there’s some debate (if we are honest about it) regarding what he knew when, and I don’t know if we’ll ever know the full story. However, there’s NO question that a guy of his stature - a guy who practically ran the campus and protected players from admin discipline - could have gotten Sandusky removed in two seconds if he wanted. When his family argues his only obligation was to tell admin and he did, they’re arguing legality, not morality.
I'm not sure how you inferred that I was implying that fake news depends on whether one likes it or not. I simply referred to a poll that reflects the low confidence that people have in newspapers and TV. I would assume this is representative of all media. IMO, the lack of confidence is well deserved. I wasn't directly addressing the matter of fake news at all. I don't even think I know precisely what "fake news" is. I've heard of it, but I don't follow the news (I didn't know that Billy Graham has gone to be with the Lord until yesterday or today and it was quite by accident. Normally I would still be unaware.). I assume it has a little different meaning or at least more specific meaning than what the words "fake" and "news" mean. If so, I don't know what that is. I certainly agree that the truth has nothing to do with whether I like it or not.

As far as Paterno, I wasn't addressing that issue at all. As far as I know, the media did a fair job. I don't know what happened and haven't studied the investigative reports to have an opinion. I assume the general consensus is correct, but I don't know.

But to expand, IMO, the news media can't be trusted. Not that they tell bald face lies about everything all of the time, but their past behavior has shown that they at least shade the truth enough of the time that one cannot rely on them, especially regarding certain types of issues. Many factors are involved: laziness, incompetence, the bias inherent in human nature, the difficulty of obtaining enough genuine facts, the impossibility of knowing human motivation and knowing their thoughts and intents, social and political agendas, the desire to gain viewers/listeners/clicks, time limits both in preparation and presentation, etc. Truly accurate communication is difficult in the best of circumstances because of both presenter and receiver shortcomings. When you add bias and agendas it is impossible. I've known a handful of situations in detail that were covered by local or national media, and not in one case was the portrayal accurate. These were not highly charged social issues that tend to distort the presenter's and receiver's judgment, they were just general events that were of interest to the media. Just look in sports, the relatively meaningless toy dept of life, at how Bama and Saban have been covered over the years. Sometimes complete distortion of the truth - and I'm not speaking as a fan. When we hear of things about others we tend to take the media at face value and understandably so because they are there and we are not and our inclination has been to trust others; and if it is about the kinds of things that often make it into the media, e.g., Auburn cheating at x, we want to believe it or at best we don't care if they are wrongly portrayed. But when we know the facts in some detail, the media frequently comes up short. Like I said earlier, first of all because accurately conveying the truth under their constraints is very difficult to begin with and more so with certain types of issues that bring bias and agendas into play.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Let's talk football.
It appears that Penn State football has recovered quite well from the sanctions imposed.
I think Coach Franklin is a big part of that (and I don't think his predecessor did a poor job either).
I have to give them some props for that.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Let's talk football.
It appears that Penn State football has recovered quite well from the sanctions imposed.
I think Coach Franklin is a big part of that (and I don't think his predecessor did a poor job either).
I have to give them some props for that.
They are doing it without elite talent, which is pretty amazing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.