AJC: Is 2017 your all time favorite UGA team?

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Pitiful, just pitiful..

Boy are we spoiled. We have lengthy debates on which NC team is our favorite. They get excited about a team that didn't win one.

CLICKY

The 2017 UGA football team might have fallen a bit short at the end of a thrilling season, but even before the game against Alabama, it already ranked as one of my all-time favorite groups of Georgia Bulldogs.
2012: The 12-2 Dawgs won the SEC East , and came within one play of beating Alabama for the conference championship and playing for the national title that Richt never could get.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I loved our 2014 team despite being a pretty clear transition-year team both in terms of roster and philosophy. Blake Sims was probably my favorite quarterback of my lifetime fandom. I had ZERO expectations for that team coming into the season. The WVU opener seemed to confirm that stuff of 2010 was on the horizon albeit with a talent level more equivalent to a 9-3 SEC squad. The Ole Miss loss and Arkansas struggle seemed to confirm that 9-3 or 8-4 type season. Then the TAMU game happened and the team kinda rediscovered an offensive groove they seemed to be starting to establish in the Florida game but lost for a few weeks. Sims had super clutch moments late in the LSU and MSU victories in back-to-back weeks. In the Iron Bowl, Sims had his biggest personal struggle of the season against Auburn but settled down to smoke Auburn after a bad middle stretch in the game. He had possibly the best game by quarterback ever in the SECCG the following week. But it is all sorta forgotten as ugly blemish by our fans because they frankly overachieved with the quarterback nobody wanted putting the squad in "typical" national title position. This team wasn't strong on the OL as many other Bama OLs of this era. The defense was mediocre. This team was all about the Sims and Cooper connection...and it was fun to watch.

So, I do think it is possible to have a favorite team that was not a champion. Frankly, this season's team was more of a labor to watch because of the untimely injuries and weird decisions with offensive adjustments and playcalling. This entire season probably cut a year off my life!

Last edited:

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
I loved our 2014 team despite being a pretty clear transition-year team both in terms of roster and philosophy. Blake Sims was probably my favorite quarterback of my lifetime fandom. I had ZERO expectations for that team coming into the season. The WVU opener seemed to confirm that stuff of 2010 was on the horizon albeit with a talent level more equivalent to a 9-3 SEC squad. The Ole Miss loss and Arkansas struggle seemed to confirm that 9-3 or 8-4 type season. Then the TAMU game happened and the team kinda rediscovered an offensive groove they seemed to be starting to establish in the Florida game but lost for a few weeks. Sims had super clutch moments late in the LSU and MSU victories in back-to-back weeks. In the Iron Bowl, Sims had his biggest personal struggle of the season against Auburn but settled down to smoke Auburn after a bad middle stretch in the game. He had possibly the best game by quarterback ever in the SECCG the following week. But it is all sorta forgotten as ugly blemish by our fans because they frankly overachieved with the quarterback nobody wanted putting the squad in "typical" national title position. This team wasn't strong on the OL as many other Bama OLs of this era. The defense was mediocre. This team was all about the Sims and Cooper connection...and it was fun to watch.

So, I do think it is possible to have a favorite team that was not a champion. Frankly, this season's team was more of a labor to watch because of the untimely injuries and weird decisions with offensive adjustments and playcalling. This entire season probably cut a year off my life!

Couldn't agree more. One of my personal favs was the 1958 team and they went 5-4-1, but considering that the five wins were more than the total wins for the previous three seasons it was a huge accomplishment. Of course since I was a student then and knew a number of the players made it of more interest than might have otherwise been the case. There's a huge story there but it suffices to say that Coach Bryant's arrival was followed by a huge change in attitude and lifestyle on the part of the players or at least for those that stuck it out.

Last edited:

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Our 1994 team is one of my favorites - and they didn't win it, either.
2008 was one of mine Just because of how Bama ambushed Clemson and Georgia out of the Gate. It was probably the Best Alabama team I had seen up to that point in terms of playing disciplined and just mashing people with The Offesnive line/running game. (I am only 30). Watching Alabama win the Iron Bowl for the fist time in 6 years was so awesome.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
The 1990 team is a favorite of mine not because of their record but I think they were one of the scrappiest teams we've ever had. Gene Stallings first Alabama team started out 0-3. They had a lot to learn and couldn't seem to catch a break. They weren't as talented as others but they stuck together and turned the season around and set the stage for what was to come, much like Coach Saban's first Bama team.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Changing the time period from a season to a game - same principle I guess - the 2007 LSU loss was one of my favorite Bama games. It was one of the greatest efforts I've ever seen from Alabama against a far superior team that was playing well. Bama probably didn't have 3 players who could start for LSU and came within a 4th and 4 stop with ~3 minutes left from winning the game and likely the SEC West. All of this with the 5th best talent in the division. After Javy returned the punt for the go-ahead TD late, I said, "it can't be this easy", thinking of the incredible Saban turnaround. There was concern by some after the loss and the 2nd half collapse vs MSU and the rest of the season. But the big wins over Ark, UT and the LSU loss, made it was clear that he was going to do incredible things. JPW was only 14-40 234 3 TDs, yet played a fabulous game. There was one magnificent play after another: Ezekiel Knight, Javy as always, Rashad Johnson, Keith Brown, JPW, Hall. After the Brown TD, Bo Pelini, DC, went berserk because it was obvious that LSU was so physically superior, yet Bama kept making amazing plays, with LSU all over them, to stay in it. LSU outgained Bama something like 475-254, Bama had 20 yds rushing, Johnathan Lowe was the leading rusher, Bama's longest run was 8 yds. It was an amazing game.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
The 1990 team is a favorite of mine not because of their record but I think they were one of the scrappiest teams we've ever had. Gene Stallings first Alabama team started out 0-3. They had a lot to learn and couldn't seem to catch a break. They weren't as talented as others but they stuck together and turned the season around and set the stage for what was to come, much like Coach Saban's first Bama team.
And the UT win - what can you say ? It was typical of the 2 programs, Bama's grit and pluck vs UT underachieving. That was one of the most improbable, satisfying and sweetest wins of all time. It was in the midst of a 19-4-1 (1971-1994) stretch against them, UT was probably more talented in 50% of the games. It drove them mad, probably led to PF's machinations that ultimately destroyed them. It easily erased the 0-3 start. The game was typical of the amazing Stallings/Barker run, though Jay didn't play in this one.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
2008 was one of mine Just because of how Bama ambushed Clemson and Georgia out of the Gate. It was probably the Best Alabama team I had seen up to that point in terms of playing disciplined and just mashing people with The Offesnive line/running game. (I am only 30). Watching Alabama win the Iron Bowl for the fist time in 6 years was so awesome.
Well, I'm 59, and I agree for all the reasons you stated. The only other one that would come close is 1971.

That 1971 team went out to Los Angeles and announced a resurgence against a heavily-favored USC. They won the SEC, but got clobbered in the NCG (such as that existed at the time) against a Nebraska team that, for a long time afterward was the consensus best college team of all time.

After decades of softness, the 2008 team was just manhandling opponents. The quintessential MTAQ team, and the first one like that since the 1992 defense, and the 1979 overall team.

No, we weren't ready for the moment in the fourth quarter against Florida in the SECCG. But those guys laid the foundation for what we have today.

Last edited:

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I think 2017 would be my favorite:

1) 2017 - Lose in National Title Game

2) 2012 - Lose in SEC Title Game

3) 2015 - Georgia favored, loses 38-10

4) 2008 - Blackout Game

5) 1991 - Started the 28-game winning streak

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think's perfectly fine to say that a team that didn't win the championship is one of your favorites. Heck, the 2016 Alabama team was one of my favorites, even though we lost the NC game. But to say its your all-time favorite, when you've got 1980? But then, I guess that was 38 years ago, so few remember it. And it's become albatross around the program's neck so the ones that do remember it would just as soon forget it.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
My favorite is 2010. The SEC office killed that team with the 6 byes. Just kike killing your goose that is laying the golden eggs. Healed and rested on 01/01/2011, they were the best CFB team I ever saw.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
My favorite is 2010. The SEC office killed that team with the 6 byes. Just kike killing your goose that is laying the golden eggs. Healed and rested on 01/01/2011, they were the best CFB team I ever saw.
one of my favorite parts of that game, we made them punt on fourth and goal.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
one of my favorite parts of that game, we made them punt on fourth and goal.
The ref who worked the game was a 17 year veteran official from the Big 8/12, and most likely had worked some 1995 Nebraska games. He was quoted as saying Bama was the best CFB team he had ever seen.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.