So what do you think?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
So far, how do think it's going? Other than the weekend starting pitching, it has been pretty impressive, and those guys threw better against Wazzu than they did Valpo.

So far I would say it has been very positive.

Rtr

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Definitely very positive. That's about the only knock I've seen so far is the Friday/Saturday pitching. But sometimes it just takes time to get the arms warmed up

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
I'd say Friday starting pitching has been the more impressive of the starters. Walters has been "ok" and Gardner had a tough time of it in his first game, although I think he settled in fairly well after a rough first inning this past weekend. Who knows how he would've done had we not had the delay.

Bullpen is going to give me anxiety everytime they have to come in, unless that light just clicks for Vanier and he eliminates his control issues. Hopefully we can piece it together though.

Offensively, I like the lineup we've been going with so far. We've got a good mix of aggressiveness and patience at the plate, which is hard to pull off. I love that we're not shy about getting hit by pitches. So far, there's not really been a spot in the lineup that I just consider a "lost cause" when they're at bat (even though Breaux's average isn't great, he's shown good command of the zone in working walks).

All-in-all, I'm excited to see what this team can get into as the season goes on. Obviously, the competition will ramp up, but the good news is we're already 36% of the way to our win total from last year.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Junkman

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 27, 2017
One technique when you don't have a dominant pitching staff is to do what CBB seems to be employing and that is throwing many pitchers in a ball game one or two innings. Generally keeps batting lineups guessing inning to inning. We don't really have a "7 inning starter" and this technique should be successful so long as everyone stays healthy. I'm guessing Potter must already be out due to injury.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
While I agree with you, I think that Duarte and Medders could go seven. It will be interesting to see who goes tonight?

I was talking to a guy I know yesterday who had signed to pitch at USA but had to have TJ surgery and decided to give it up to concentrate on school (mechanical engineering). He had his surgery at the Andrews Clinic in Gulf Breeze, and they told him that it would be 12-18 months before he could pitch in a game. For Rukes and Love to be throwing now is pretty amazing, and I think they need to go slow with those guys (and I know they will).

rtr

Junkman

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 27, 2017
Dylan is a 7 inning non-conference guy. Deacon a little better maybe. Trouble is Dylan doesn't really have enough velo split between pitches to go through more than 2 lineups in the SEC. I think Jackson and Bo have him just about right in a late inning reliever.

As far as bringing back Garrett and Brock after just 10 months, this is just a wait and see/hold your breath kinda thing. Very few in orthopedics and baseball would ever say that a pitcher is ready physiologically for the long term after only 10 months. Hopefully for both of their sakes, they will be fine.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I have been impressed with the effort, fundamentals, and approach compared to last year. That said, the first 9 games were VS bad competition. OU this weekend is a much bigger test and losing 2 of 3 is about what I expected. Definitely enjoying today’s butt whooping!

As I said before the season started, I don’t expect us to be much improved record wise in SEC play but, I do expect us to be more competitive. We just don’t have the weekend arms yet!

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Today's win was a revelation. This is the kind of good thing that hardly ever happened last year, and should put the guys in a good frame of mind for what comes next.

Rtr

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
We'll see once we get into conference and play LSU, State, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Auburn, aTm & USCe. It's going to be a brutal strong conference. If we come out of that 500 or better, we'll be moving in the right direction.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Didn't we win five conference games last year? If we win 15 league games this year I will be ecstatic. You are talking about going from 19 wins to a regional. Awesome.

Rtr

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
Holding a very potent Eagle offense off the board tonight is a huge pitching effort, and like someone said above, using several fresh arms paid off over riding the same horse tonight. Very pleased with this team so far!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
Didn't we win five conference games last year? If we win 15 league games this year I will be ecstatic. You are talking about going from 19 wins to a regional. Awesome.

Rtr
I think that's a very realistic goal if the pitching holds up. We'll start with a couple of the weaker teams in the league in UGA and UT which can hopefully help get us settled in for tougher teams.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
Good news is, with the win over USM, we're already 58% of the way to last year's win total.

Shoot, I'm just hoping for at least doubling last year's SEC wins. We get to 10 wins, I'll be happy considering what everyone had to go through last year.

We get to 15 wins and I'll be ecstatic as well. But there's a tough SEC slate in front of us in order to do that, though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I just think that this five-six pitcher thing we are doing in the middies is awesome. It is rehabbing Rukes and Love in live action and gives the other guys enough to do to stay busy, yet keeps them available for most weekends. Four runs in four games against MTSU, Samford, Alabama State and USM? I mean, I have seen really good Tide teams that pitched worse than that.

So far, so good.

rtr

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.