Will We Shift Our Recruiting Emphasis to the West, North and Northeast?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I`m not saying we`ll completely abandon Georgia, especially west Georgia, but will we spend less time in the rest of the state? It seems to me that if you define " putting a fence " around Georgia as getting the cream of the 4-5* kids, it looks to me like Kirby is at the very least on the cusp of doing so.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Well, if you look at the coaches hired there looks to be a shift towards Louisiana and Texas, but there is no way we give up on Georgia completely. Too many great players there to not give it our best shot.

What is interesting is that this may be the best year ever in-state. State and UF picked up commits this weekend.

Rtr

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
With the talent in-state, Louisiana, and Mississippi, Alabama doesn’t have far to go to recruit in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I`m not saying we`ll completely abandon Georgia, especially west Georgia, but will we spend less time in the rest of the state? It seems to me that if you define " putting a fence " around Georgia as getting the cream of the 4-5* kids, it looks to me like Kirby is at the very least on the cusp of doing so.
Bama's "good" Georgia recruiting is a myth. The most productive player that Bama has gotten out of Georgia in the last 6 years is Miller Forrestall, yes, MF. McKinney could end up being a contributor, but he is the only one left on the roster, along with J. Dwight and Warmack, that even has a chance of contributing; and they have been in the program 5 and 4 years respectively. Bama has only gotten 10 scholarship players from the state in those 6 years. So, Bama's recruiting had already shifted or been shifted for us out of Georgia for a while. Not out of the East, but out of Georgia.

The past 6 years, Bama has gotten much more quantity and quality, in terms of production, out of Louisiana, Florida, Texas and the DMV. And to a lesser extent has even gotten more out of California (Mazza, J. Williams, N. Harris), New Jersey (Averett and Fitzpatrick) and Kentucky (D. Harris, Wills).

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
So did Richt. We've not received a lot of quality or quantity from GA. Mostly role players with an occasional outstanding game.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Bama's "good" Georgia recruiting is a myth. The most productive player that Bama has gotten out of Georgia in the last 6 years is Miller Forrestall, yes, MF. McKinney could end up being a contributor, but he is the only one left on the roster, along with J. Dwight and Warmack, that even has a chance of contributing; and they have been in the program 5 and 4 years respectively. Bama has only gotten 10 scholarship players from the state in those 6 years. So, Bama's recruiting had already shifted or been shifted for us out of Georgia for a while. Not out of the East, but out of Georgia.

The past 6 years, Bama has gotten much more quantity and quality, in terms of production, out of Louisiana, Florida, Texas and the DMV. And to a lesser extent has even gotten more out of California (Mazza, J. Williams, N. Harris), New Jersey (Averett and Fitzpatrick) and Kentucky (D. Harris, Wills).
Very good and informative analysis, BIB. You and RTO make very informed and interesting observations on this.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

I'm always surprised by how much talent there is in the DMV and how much of that talent basically chooses us or Penn State (probably thanks to Locksley and Franklin)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Kirby is the newest thing since sliced bread in GA. But let's see what he does with this talent. That's the litmus test to recruiting. Can you get them, develop them and manage them?

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Kirby is the newest thing since sliced bread in GA. But let's see what he does with this talent. That's the litmus test to recruiting. Can you get them, develop them and manage them?
To be fair, and based on the only two years we can go on, Kirby is doing the best Nick Saban impersonation since ... Nick Saban.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
To be fair, and based on the only two years we can go on, Kirby is doing the best Nick Saban impersonation since ... Nick Saban.
Yes, but my point is what does he do with it beyond the signing. His team this year was largely what he inherited and senior ladened. Can he sign them, develop them and manage them. With all those "stars" managing them might be his hardest task.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Yes, but my point is what does he do with it beyond the signing. His team this year was largely what he inherited and senior ladened. Can he sign them, develop them and manage them. With all those "stars" managing them might be his hardest task.
I think its fair to assume Kirby is going to be a upper tier coach at least. He is going to attract good staff members so his players will likely always be well coached, he is a fantastic recruiter so he will always have talent, we know he can coach defense (as can Mel) and he has learned from Saban so he won't try to win his games with a flashy offense. That is a mixture that is going to have some success. I'm not one of those who thinks he is the next Saban (no one coaching today is) but I think it would be a let down at this point if he doesn't win the SEC East consistently.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I agree we have not had a lot of recent success in GA but we did bring in some good talent from GA in Saban's first 3-4 years. If Pruitt had not left we would have signed two top 100 players in Walker and Peterson out of GA. But like RTR91 said Mississippi and Louisiana are loaded this year and there is more top heavy talent in Alabama than we have had in recent years. We will also continue to find the best national talent wherever they are including TX, CA and DC/VA/MD area.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I think its fair to assume Kirby is going to be a upper tier coach at least. He is going to attract good staff members so his players will likely always be well coached, he is a fantastic recruiter so he will always have talent, we know he can coach defense (as can Mel) and he has learned from Saban so he won't try to win his games with a flashy offense. That is a mixture that is going to have some success. I'm not one of those who thinks he is the next Saban (no one coaching today is) but I think it would be a let down at this point if he doesn't win the SEC East consistently.
Stunningly so here in Georgia based on expectations. In some quarters you`d think they did win the championship based on expectations and the way some are talking. If UGA doesn`t win the SEC, much less the East next year, you could sell tickets over here to watch the meltdown, IMO.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I really do not see our recruiting philosophy changing at all. Saban's method has been to go after the best players regardless of their geographical location. As long as they have interest, willing to come to camp and demonstrate a good moral character then we are on them. We will not stop recruiting a particular location just because a new coach is having success there of late.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
One of the reasons why we've had the success we've had is due to the fact that we haven't been afraid to recruit in GA, FL, LA, TX, TN and so on and so forth. We were able to go in to Florida when UF was considered the premiere program and get some of the top recruits from the state (Trent stands out as one of the big ones). The same with Georgia, the same with Texas, Louisiana and so forth. The moves we've made with coaches jsut recently is to continue to keep that success going. We won't get ALL (one can only hope lol) of the top talent from each of these states but if the coaches do the job CNS expects, we should continue to good a fair share of the top talent from each of the hotbed states for recruiting.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Only if we concede and stop recruiting there, which would be unwise...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.