Butch as offensive analyst?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
:smile: You are right, there is much we may not know, but I think we do know that Coach Jones was in WAY over his head as the UT HC. The first time you saw him on the sideline, you were delighted to know that UT had thrown away another 4 or 5 years. He had simplified his public life by boiling it down to 37 clichés, one of which he would choose as the response to any situation that arose. Not sure if it was really his voice or a tape because they were uttered verbatim every time. There was not even any variation in voice inflection. Maybe CNS's real intent is to have CBJ hold cliché seminars for Bama players to use in their media appearances. That way they can focus more on football and not have to worry about making a faux pas; just punch up the most suitable cliché, if it doesn't quite fit, lean on the media's usual understanding with college kids.
He milked the inspirational cliches as long as he could. The problem for the UT folks is that it took five years before they realized the inspirational cliches never were going to make a difference on the scoreboard. There is no doubt he was promoted waaaaay above his abilities and was in over his head. I'm just glad it came at the expense of UcheaT. My heart stays warm at night during the winter because of it.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
:smile: You are right, there is much we may not know, but I think we do know that Coach Jones was in WAY over his head as the UT HC. The first time you saw him on the sideline, you were delighted to know that UT had thrown away another 4 or 5 years. He had simplified his public life by boiling it down to 37 clichés, one of which he would choose as the response to any situation that arose. Not sure if it was really his voice or a tape because they were uttered verbatim every time. There was not even any variation in voice inflection. Maybe CNS's real intent is to have CBJ hold cliché seminars for Bama players to use in their media appearances. That way they can focus more on football and not have to worry about making a faux pas; just punch up the most suitable cliché, if it doesn't quite fit, lean on the media's usual understanding with college kids.
I agree.............I think he was barely treading water midway through, and was sinking near the end...........way over his head

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
For a second after reading the thread title, I thought CNS was contemplating hiring a manly appearing female for offensive analyst!

I guess ole Botch can occupy his time searching out the source from which Sweet Home Alabama is playing like he did when he got to Knoxville!

Seriously though, I trust CNS decisions and have no problem retaining rocky flops HC that they forked out millions for, as an analyst for mid-low 5 figures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Oh my! At least he's wearing neutral clothing...

Butch seems like a good guy from what I have read. I am sure he will be helpful as an analyst for Saban. I just hope he can be trusted with information about plays, etc. Saban must trust him if he is hiring him. I just hope it works out and he doesn't do something to betray Saban and Bama.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Butch seems like a good guy from what I have read. I am sure he will be helpful as an analyst for Saban. I just hope he can be trusted with information about plays, etc. Saban must trust him if he is hiring him. I just hope it works out and he doesn't do something to betray Saban and Bama.
Well, if he`s that stupid to do that he might well be committing professional suicide.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Jones is not a TN man, he is just a former head coach. Like most head coaches, his loyalty to that program died the day he walked out the door. He certainly isn't going to sabotage his coaching future by attempting to undermine Saban, and if he did, why would he do so for a school that just fired him?

RollTARDIS

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2017
What in the world could or would he do to betray us? If he takes a job here then it is a chance given at the lowest point in his career. I don’t think that would be an issue.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I'm mystified by what he adds that plenty of others would or could not.

That said, the next game for which i am head coach will be my first. Next Nat Champ also will be my first, so. . .

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
It will be weird to see him in Alabama gear. They need special clothes for all the coaches that go through the “Saban rehab program”.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
It will be weird to see him in Alabama gear. They need special clothes for all the coaches that go through the “Saban rehab program”.
I agree. Plus, intel is Butch already promised to bring his own polka-dotted pugil sticks, with the polka dots matching his florid cheeks (almost Pantone PMS 201 [crimson] in case you didn't know...).

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
TBH, it was pretty weird to first see CNS in crimson and white. I'll throw in first seeing CLK in our gear, too. Same as it will be with CBJ.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
If Butch comes on board, that'll need a name change to "The Saban Rehab Program for Coaches Who Can't Coach Very Good." New gear entirely!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.