Butch as offensive analyst?

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
There are lots of coaches like Mike Shula, and Derrick Dooley, who reach their pinnacle as a OC or DC. (PETER PRINCIPAL)

Butch, (Sergeant Carter), had the misfortune to reach his at Tennessee.
The SEC is a tough place to coach. You are thrust into the spotlight, and it never goes away until you do. (That spotlight returns every time you do anything, anytime, anywhere)
Mike Price is the perfect example. Had gotten away with his indiscretions for years because no one outside of the city limits of Pullman, Washington knew or cared who he was.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Just wondering, are there any limits on the number of analysts a team can hire? Could Coach Saban hire 50 guys, as long as they don't have contact with the players?

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Any final word on Butch? The latest I can find is that he is "expected" to join the staff.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You don't need geniuses - you need people who can watch film and note tendencies, weaknesses, etc.
To add, each of these guys has a very narrow and specific job. For instance, one would be focused on 3rd down offense (meaning the offensive plays run by the upcoming opponent on 3rd downs). And these guys get very specific instructions as to what they are expected to deliver, and when (film, stats, tells, etc.). Most of these guys are working a week ahead of the actual schedule, so they deliver their analysis and data immediately after the previous game is played. This allows the coaches and coordinators to use that data immediately in game planning. Sunday morning the coaches have this data in their hands.

These jobs are necessary to compete at the highest level today.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
To add, each of these guys has a very narrow and specific job. For instance, one would be focused on 3rd down offense (meaning the offensive plays run by the upcoming opponent on 3rd downs). And these guys get very specific instructions as to what they are expected to deliver, and when (film, stats, tells, etc.). Most of these guys are working a week ahead of the actual schedule, so they deliver their analysis and data immediately after the previous game is played. This allows the coaches and coordinators to use that data immediately in game planning. Sunday morning the coaches have this data in their hands.
Precisely. It definitely helps to have all those eyes and ears watching and listening to everything the other guys are doing

Last edited by a moderator:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Precisely. It definitely helps to have all those eyes and ears watching and listening to everything the other guys are doing
IMO, the main advantage is that the analysts are doing it - meaning that the coaching staff and coordinators are not. The coaching staff is freed up. They take the work of the analysts and prepare the game plan and players for the individual teams, one game at a time, because these analysts are doing all of the research. Teams that cannot afford these analysts simply cannot break down opponents as well. They are at a huge disadvantage. This is less important when facing teams that don't change much from one year to the next (think LSU with Miles), but it is critical when facing less known opponents (and in the playoffs).

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
IMO, the main advantage is that the analysts are doing it - meaning that the coaching staff and coordinators are not. The coaching staff is freed up. They take the work of the analysts and prepare the game plan and players for the individual teams, one game at a time, because these analysts are doing all of the research. Teams that cannot afford these analysts simply cannot break down opponents as well. They are at a huge disadvantage. This is less important when facing teams that don't change much from one year to the next (think LSU with Miles), but it is critical when facing less known opponents (and in the playoffs).
The extra eyes also help a lot during the games - they cannot have microphones, but they are sitting next to guys that do, and extra sets of highly trained eyes are incredibly helpful. IIRC, the alignment that led to the onside kick to Humphrey was noticed by an analyst and relayed to the staff.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Is Butch considered an offensive genius?
I'm torn on this one. On one hand, he wasn't terribly effective against good teams at UTe. On the other, he was a HC in the SEC for five years. Malapropisms aside, he's doing something right.

We're not looking for genius in this position. Those guys are already successful HCs. We're looking for someone who can diagnose.

There's a reason Saban uses this sort of thing as coaching rehab, so I'm also guessing that Saban also asks former HCs for perspective that only those guys have.

The NCAA will most likely pass this and it will forever be known as the "Alabama Rule". The NCAA seems to pass ridiculous rules every year.
I'm shocked....shocked, I tell you...SHOCKED!!

Last edited:

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

These jobs are necessary to compete at the highest level today.
Such detail to game prep reminds me of this classic :p

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I'm surprised this topic has drawn 12 pages worth of interest.

It's just another coach sitting in a box and breaking down film. What's the fuss?

Butch isn't going to be coaching anybody. He's gonna wear an Alabama shirt and turn scouting reports in to Saban.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Such detail to game prep reminds me of this classic :p

Heaven knows, I hate to slip the surly bonds here and extrapolate, but...but that mashup has really got me aiming for the stars as Dr. von Braun used to say. So what are the chances Botch goes through rehabilitation, and Saban gets him reassigned within the university system to become father of the UAH football program? Rename 'em the Huntsville Rockets and the ol' Botchtronaut can guarantee turning 'em into Champions of Alien Life Sciences. C'mon, Earle - there's a precedent here!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Heaven knows, I hate to slip the surly bonds here and extrapolate, but...but that mashup has really got me aiming for the stars as Dr. von Braun used to say. So what are the chances Botch goes through rehabilitation, and Saban gets him reassigned within the university system to become father of the UAH football program? Rename 'em the Huntsville Rockets and the ol' Botchtronaut can guarantee turning 'em into Champions of Alien Life Sciences. C'mon, Earle - there's a precedent here!

Somehow, I doubt it... :D

UAinAthens

Scout Team
Jul 5, 2001
gmail.com
I'm surprised this topic has drawn 12 pages worth of interest.

It's just another coach sitting in a box and breaking down film. What's the fuss?

Butch isn't going to be coaching anybody. He's gonna wear an Alabama shirt and turn scouting reports in to Saban.
Its March and there is nothing else going on.

I just wish I could get hired to head coach a team, get killed every year by Bama and CNS for 5 years, then get hired to watch Bama practice. Sounds like a dream career.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.