My first smartwatch...

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A Samsung Gear S3, paired up with a Galaxy Note 8 phone. I'll never learn all of its functions, since it's obviously smarter than I. One of the functions is to monitor sleep. Well, I haven't worn the damned thing to bed because I already know that I don't sleep enough. Well, today, I dozed off in front of the computer, it turns out over an hour. Without its asking my permission, I ended up with a bar graph of my nap, including "motionless," "restless," etc. IMO, it's spooky...

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
My friend at the office has one. Loves it. Good looking watch, and like you said, can do so many things. I guess what I like best (that I know of) is the ability to function completely as a stand-alone cell phone, just in case I were to leave my cell phone at home. Would love to have one.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
A Samsung Gear S3, paired up with a Galaxy Note 8 phone. I'll never learn all of its functions, since it's obviously smarter than I. One of the functions is to monitor sleep. Well, I haven't worn the damned thing to bed because I already know that I don't sleep enough. Well, today, I dozed off in front of the computer, it turns out over an hour. Without its asking my permission, I ended up with a bar graph of my nap, including "motionless," "restless," etc. IMO, it's spooky...
Recon for judgement day.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Big brother is watching. Samsung is a product of the CIA. Their TVs are always listening too. MUHAHAHAHAHAH!(Best Vincent Price scary laugh)

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
My wife is an IT person and really into every device that comes out.

When I first started seeing these watches that monitor your sleep, exercise, heart rate, etc. I just knew there would be an insurance company that would offer a discount to people that turned over their results. I haven't seen it yet, but I expect it any time.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My friend at the office has one. Loves it. Good looking watch, and like you said, can do so many things. I guess what I like best (that I know of) is the ability to function completely as a stand-alone cell phone, just in case I were to leave my cell phone at home. Would love to have one.
The LTE model is the one which operates as a free-standing cell phone and, for that, you have to open up a separate data line with your carrier, at a cost. Mine is the Bluetooth model. It has to hook through my phone or WiFi. Now, if you were out and in range of a hotspot, it should work. I carry my phone when out, so I don't have that enabled. For one thing, the watch set up Samsung Pay, again without permission. I'll probably disable that. At any rate, I would not want that set up and my watch automatically hooking up with hotspots, as I'm paranoid even about buying anything or having banking info on my phone...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Earle, Let me know if you find you hate this. I am looking to toss my fitbit to the trash and get a new smartwatch. Either I die several times a day or it is losing a connection to record my heartbeat.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Earle, Let me know if you find you hate this. I am looking to toss my fitbit to the trash and get a new smartwatch. Either I die several times a day or it is losing a connection to record my heartbeat.
I will. So far, I'm pleased, despite my humor about it. I don't really use it to keep up with heartbeat constantly. I have a little oximeter, like the ones they use in hospitals, on my desk and check occasionally. Also, I check BP every couple of days and that gives me pulse rate. I have read from other users that, in order to have an accurate pulse rate, the band has to be tight, almost uncomfortably so. There are a number of owners' forums for these phones. You might look one up and see what people say. I did that before I bought it...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Earle, we all know this is just to give you real-time data on your bionic body.
Well, not quite. I have a Seiko watch, made out of titanium, which runs by charging a capacitor, not a battery. Normally a capacitor lasts about 7 years but they don't respond well to not being charged, and it's a known fault with this watch. Of course, I couldn't take it to the hospital and, instead of 2 days, I ended up stuck in the hospital for 8. This capacitor was nearing the end of its life, anyway and, sure enough, when I got home, it wouldn't hold a charge. So, crossroads time. After major abdominal surgery, it's really hard to get up and get your butt moving on a regular exercise regimen again. My wife was trying to nag enough to motivate me but it wasn't working. Then's when I decided to try the smartwatch to track progress. It's worked well for me...

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I love my smart watch. I am on my second Apple Watch now and I love it. It is one of those things that you never thought you would “need”...but it definitely comes in handy. I always have it on and probably use it mostly for tracking my fitness. I am not sure I would ever go back to a “normal” watch.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I love my smart watch. I am on my second Apple Watch now and I love it. It is one of those things that you never thought you would “need”...but it definitely comes in handy. I always have it on and probably use it mostly for tracking my fitness. I am not sure I would ever go back to a “normal” watch.
I'm a fan so far. Every day, it hits me with something new and asks if I'd like to do it. OTOH, it's done a couple of things where I wish it'd've asked...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.