Jalen Ramsey "calls out" Aggies' assistant coach for using him as a recruiting tool.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Jalen Ramsey "calls out" Aggies' assistant coach for using him as a recruiting tool.

Again, it's the offseason so this looked like something we'd all enjoy delving into. What are y'alls thoughts on this?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22593204/jalen-ramsey-jacksonville-jaguars-calls-texas-aggies-assistant-recruiting-post

Aggies tight end coach Tim Brewster on Monday night tweeted what appears to be a recruiting poster featuring all of the former defensive backs who played under head coach Jimbo Fisher at Florida State and are now playing in the NFL. The poster also includes their total career earnings.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Jalen Ramsey "calls out" Aggies' assistant coach for using him as a recruiting to

I suspect we'll do something similar with Kuligowski's guys in the near future. Pruitt did something similar when he arrived at Tennessee. Teams do it, but the posters typically highlight the position the coach knows best. This particular poster infers Jimbo being the DB coach, which as we all know is completely false.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Re: Jalen Ramsey "calls out" Aggies' assistant coach for using him as a recruiting to

I do know when an athlete plays for a school they agree to allow the school to use them (even after they have graduated) as advertisement for the school. However, I do wonder if there could be any legal issues when a coach (as in this case) goes to another school to coach but uses players' image, names etc. that he coached at another school to advertise and benefit the current school in which he's coaching?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

I do know when an athlete plays for a school they agree to allow the school to use them (even after they have graduated) as advertisement for the school. However, I do wonder if there could be any legal issues when a coach (as in this case) goes to another school to coach but uses players' image, names etc. that he coached at another school to advertise and benefit the current school in which he's coaching?
I would think rather than an open ended, " Yeah, you can use my image ", the kid would have to somehow be able to stipulate that his image could only be used for the benefit of the school for which he played. Don`t even know if that`s possible from a legal standpoint.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

I would think rather than an open ended, " Yeah, you can use my image ", the kid would have to somehow be able to stipulate that his image could only be used for the benefit of the school for which he played. Don`t even know if that`s possible from a legal standpoint.
I can understand a coach sitting in a recruits home and telling the recruit and his parents "Hey, I coached Jalen Ramsey when I was at Fla St. and he now plays in the NFL and makes millions of dollars." But to go as far as putting the guy's name and image on a poster and hanging it up as a public display at a school he never went to and that school benefiting probably BOTH monetarily and competitively? Granted, I'm sure it would be hard to prove a direct monetary benefit from this, but somewhere down the line there is a monetary benefit to the school he never attended.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

This is going to be interesting. The SEC has a "voluntary" waiver, which the player can sign, allowing the use of his image in endorsements. IDK if it's a waiver to the school, in this case ACC, or not. In any event, it seems a bit dicy for an SEC school using one given to the ACC, in any event. I'm pretty sure that Jalen gave no personal waiver to either coach. A similar image case is under litigation right now. I think TAMU was foolish...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Give him 2 years here and he'll have more than enough material for a poster.
Above, I meant waiver to the school, FSU or the conference, ACC. At any rate, I doubt it was drafted so as to be "portable" to go wherever his coach wanted to use it...

Last edited:

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

Above, I meant waiver to the school, FSU or the conference, ACC. At any rate, I doubt it was drafted so as to be "portable" to go wherever his coach wanted to use it...
I figured as much. I was more following CA's line of thinking - no need to pull examples from other schools. He'll have plenty of Bama specific poster material soon enough.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

Does anyone remember if Coach Saban used players he had coached from LSU, Michigan State, etc., or even the Dolphins, in a recruiting poster when he first got here? I doubt it, but I'd believe it if I saw it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Does anyone remember if Coach Saban used players he had coached from LSU, Michigan State, etc., or even the Dolphins, in a recruiting poster when he first got here? I doubt it, but I'd believe it if I saw it.
Not in his personality to claim personal credit for hands-on coaching, even when he's - unlike Jimbo - really the one responsible...

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017

I highly doubt now Saban needs a poster. Bigger trophy case maybe...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I highly doubt now Saban needs a poster. Bigger trophy case maybe...
Maybe, but Saban leaves nothing to chance. Some of the Alabama posters are amazing, though I prefer the artist that you were using before the change this past season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.