Alabama QB competition article

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
A lot of people have suggested that he "Should" transfer. I think it's the worst thing he could do, IF he still wants to take a shot at an NFL Career.

IF his goal is just to play in college, then yea - he should leave as soon as possible. And I fully expect he WILL transfer - the only question in my mind is whether he moves on in August or waits until January.

But IMO the BEST thing Jalen could do is try to learn another position. I realize NOT ALL AGREE.

But the bottom line is that Jalen has a ZERO Chance of playing QB in the NFL - it's just not going to happen for him. IF he could learn some other position, MAYBE he'd at least have a chance...... And the best possible place for him to learn and get positive exposure would be at Alabama. There's nowhere he could go and have a better "supporting cast" around him - and that makes Everyone look better.
You tell me what position he could play, has the size/strength/athleticism/etc and also has the ability to quickly overtake all of the 4- and 5-star talent that was recruited to play that position. I think he could definitely play other positions. His talent level is very high, without a doubt. But I doubt he could get into the rotation at any other position ahead of guys who have far more experience at the position as well as the talent. Jalen doing some other position at, I don't know, La Tech might be about to get into the two-deep. But not at Alabama.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I can't believe this is even a part of the conversation here. I am a huge proponent of Tua starting who thinks it would be best for everyone if Jalen transferred, but to imply in any way that Jalen gets rattled easily is crazy. His demeanor seems to never change, whether he runs a TD or throws an incompletion. I haven't seen that kid rattled yet. His coolness under pressure is one of the big things I have always appreciated about him.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
You tell me what position he could play, has the size/strength/athleticism/etc and also has the ability to quickly overtake all of the 4- and 5-star talent that was recruited to play that position. I think he could definitely play other positions. His talent level is very high, without a doubt. But I doubt he could get into the rotation at any other position ahead of guys who have far more experience at the position as well as the talent. Jalen doing some other position at, I don't know, La Tech might be about to get into the two-deep. But not at Alabama.
The more I've thought about this the more I think Jalen's best thing to do (position wise) is to transfer (with two years to play) to a school that runs an offense that plays to his strengths. There are a lot of those out there. Most schools run a HUNH/spread type offense with simple one look reads. Alabama's offense is almost a rarity today's college football. It is more of a pro style offense that requires read progressions after the ball is snapped and quick decision making to boot. Most of these kids coming out HS have never been in an offense like that. Will he get drafted to the NFL as a QB? I have no clue, but if I'm Jalen's dad I'm telling him not to worry about that right now. That we first have to get you on the field on the college level. Then worry about any pro aspirations. It's very hard to make the pros sitting on the bench.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The more I've thought about this the more I think Jalen's best thing to do (position wise) is to transfer (with two years to play) to a school that runs an offense that plays to his strengths. There are a lot of those out there. Most schools run a HUNH/spread type offense with simple one look reads. Alabama's offense is almost a rarity today's college football. It is more of a pro style offense that requires read progressions after the ball is snapped and quick decision making to boot. Most of these kids coming out HS have never been in an offense like that. Will he get drafted to the NFL as a QB? I have no clue, but if I'm Jalen's dad I'm telling him not to worry about that right now. That we first have to get you on the field on the college level. Then worry about any pro aspirations. It's very hard to make the pros sitting on the bench.
This absolutely right. Except, what's best for Jalen and his family is probably not what is best for Alabama. If Tua were to go down with an injury early in the season, we would probably be better off with Jalen, even with his limited passing skills. We'd still be in the same predicament as the last couple of years, but we'd still probably make the playoffs with him.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I have said this more than once, and totally agree with Buzz, that Hurts needs to transfer to a program that will use his strengths. Yes, there are quite a few programs that would like to have him at QB.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I have said this more than once, and totally agree with Buzz, that Hurts needs to transfer to a program that will use his strengths. Yes, there are quite a few programs that would like to have him at QB.
Difference between where you two stand versus where I stand is that, in my opinion (which is pretty worthless, actually), he should transfer to play a different position if he wants to make it to the NFL. Figure out what position gives him a real chance. Go to a school where he can break into the rotation, and get some solid experience doing that. I don't think it can happen for him at Alabama. And I don't think getting into the NFL is going to happen for him at the QB position no matter what school he is coming from.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
This absolutely right. Except, what's best for Jalen and his family is probably not what is best for Alabama. If Tua were to go down with an injury early in the season, we would probably be better off with Jalen, even with his limited passing skills. We'd still be in the same predicament as the last couple of years, but we'd still probably make the playoffs with him.
Honestly I think we'd have a better chance at making the playoffs and winning the NCG with Mac Jones at this point.

He was very impressive in the spring. Stayed in the pocket and went threw progressions and threw his WR's/TE's open and put the ball in position for YAC instead of guys having to turn back and low to catch a slider.

There would be growing pains along the way but by time the end of the season came around I think he'd fair better against LSU, AU, UGA, tOSU, and Clemson etc etc than Jalen.

It's jmo of course but the book is out on how to shut Jalen down and by association our offense.

Mac OTOH has lots of potential/a Higher ceiling.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Honestly I think we'd have a better chance at making the playoffs and winning the NCG with Mac Jones at this point.

He was very impressive in the spring. Stayed in the pocket and went threw progressions and threw his WR's/TE's open and put the ball in position for YAC instead of guys having to turn back and low to catch a slider.

There would be growing pains along the way but by time the end of the season came around I think he'd fair better against LSU, AU, UGA, tOSU, and Clemson etc etc than Jalen.

It's jmo of course but the book is out on how to shut Jalen down and by association our offense.

I don't disagree. I'm torn on what would be best if Tua goes down with an injury. Wouldn't even surprise me if MJ got the call over Jalen in that scenario, but if MJ can't perform, it sure would be nice to have Jalen waiting in the wings. It's why I said what is best for Jalen (probably transfering and playing somewhere else) might not be best for Alabama.

I also think CNS might agree that he'd prefer to have Jalen around, just in case.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I don't think I can go so far as to take Jalen from 1st to 3rd team QB with a guy that took us to two straight NC games.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

While I agree with you, let's don't lose sight of the fact that the defense Jones was facing was not as strong as the one Jalen was playing against, or even close, really. I do think Jones could develop into a better passer and has a higher ceiling on that front, given the time to get there, though.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I don't think I can go so far as to take Jalen from 1st to 3rd team QB with a guy that took us to two straight NC games.
The TEAM took us to two straight NC games. There came a point where a lot of our success was in spite of the QB play.

CNS remarked during the spring game near a hot mic that 'The 3rd team QB could move the team right down the field passing..... yet in two years Jalen still can't do it'.

I'm paraphrasing but that's pretty much what he was saying in a very agitated manner.

So maybe Mac is working his way up and Jalen is falling behind.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

This is only true if Mac is your #2 QB this year. He needs game snaps, and a lot of them. If Jalen is #2, Jones will not be ready. Heck, he might not see 20 plays.

Tua would not have been able to save your season against GA's defense without the regular season play. When Tua was in the game, Daboll turned him loose. Tua ran an aggressive offense when in - he was not asked to run out the clock.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
The TEAM took us to two straight NC games. There came a point where a lot of our success was in spite of the QB play.

CNS remarked during the spring game near a hot mic that 'The 3rd team QB could move the team right down the field passing..... yet in two years Jalen still can't do it'.

I'm paraphrasing but that's pretty much what he was saying in a very agitated manner.

So maybe Mac is working his way up and Jalen is falling behind.
I know Jalen is flawed and has weaknesses but I don't think you can make that judgment based on a spring game against the 2's with no contact while the other was playing MSU, LSU and Auburn.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
While I agree with you, let's don't lose sight of the fact that the defense Jones was facing was not as strong as the one Jalen was playing against, or even close, really. I do think Jones could develop into a better passer and has a higher ceiling on that front, given the time to get there, though.
That's true but I was more keying in on how they played the position and not so much just the success and stats.

Mac was really in command of the pocket and stepping up and making throws to 2nd, 3rd, and 4th reads.

Jalen was flinching and rolling out looking to take off running or throw the ball away whether other WR's were open or not.

If they had switched sides Mac would have had less time to make a choice but I willing to bet he'd make one good or bad. He take some chances with tight windows trying to make plays.

Jalen would have more time to make a decision against the 2's but if Read #1 is blanketed I bet you he'd still take off running once pressure eventually got there.

He just won't pull the trigger. I have no idea why.... he's got a live arm but he doesn't trust himself to make throws for some reason and keeps falling back on his running ability.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This is only true if Mac is your #2 QB this year. He needs game snaps, and a lot of them. If Jalen is #2, Jones will not be ready. Heck, he might not see 20 plays.

Tua would not have been able to save your season against GA's defense without the regular season play. When Tua was in the game, Daboll turned him loose. Tua ran an aggressive offense when in - he was not asked to run out the clock.
No doubt in my mind that as long as Tua stays healthy, Jones ought to be getting 2nd team snaps for his development. I think we'll have several games where Jones would play for most of the second half.

If Tua's the starter, Jalen will not want the mop up play because if he stays and he's not the starter he doesn't want to burn a year of eligibility doing that.

With Tua injured (especially early in the season), it's totally different IMO.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
No doubt in my mind that as long as Tua stays healthy, Jones ought to be getting 2nd team snaps for his development. I think we'll have several games where Jones would play for most of the second half.

If Tua's the starter, Jalen will not want the mop up play because if he stays and he's not the starter he doesn't want to burn a year of eligibility doing that.

With Tua injured (especially early in the season), it's totally different IMO.
This situation is why the other day I was saying that Jalen should basically be in a 'Only Break Glass in Case of Emergency' role.

So that IF some type of injury situation arises with Tua, Jalen could play in 4 games in a 2QB system with Mac to help steady things and while Mac plays in more and more critical situations getting ready to take over.

That would be my plan. Don't play Jalen over 4 games so he can still RS and have 2 years somewhere else.....Play Mac a TON starting in Game 1.

Basically have the hierarchy as:

Tua: QB1

Mac: QB2A getting all the late 'Mop' up work

Jalen: QB2B effectively RS'ing but ready to help in up to 4 games in an emergency.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
For those who believe Hurts should stay as an insurance policy for 4 games; do you see any games besides, TAMU, LSU, MSU and auburn he would be needed? Could Mac Jones win the other 8 games on his own if Tua misses all or parts of these games?

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This situation is why the other day I was saying that Jalen should basically be in a 'Only Break Glass in Case of Emergency' role.

So that IF some type of injury situation arises with Tua, Jalen could play in 4 games in a 2QB system with Mac to help steady things and while Mac plays in more and more critical situations getting ready to take over.

That would be my plan. Don't play Jalen over 4 games so he can still RS and have 2 years somewhere else.....Play Mac a TON starting in Game 1.

Basically have the hierarchy as:

Tua: QB1

Mac: QB2A getting all the late 'Mop' up work

Jalen: QB2B effectively RS'ing but ready to help in up to 4 games in an emergency.
I really don't think that plan hurts Jalen and may help him. A year under Enos won't hurt. Just enough PT to get more experience but not play over the 4 game limit. Then he can graduate (have a degree from Bama) and still go somewhere else and play two years and get a graduate degree or two.

Time is not the issue for Jalen. This year wouldn't be wasted at Bama at all. If there's any chance of him playing QB in the NFL, he needs as much time as possible in the collegiate system.

This situation would be a win/win for everyone IMO. I'm not the least worried about Jalen causing disharmony on the team if he stays. I just don't think he's that kind of person.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.