Alabama QB competition article

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
For those who believe Hurts should stay as an insurance policy for 4 games; do you see any games besides, TAMU, LSU, MSU and auburn he would be needed? Could Mac Jones win the other 8 games on his own if Tua misses all or parts of these games?
Ole Miss could score a lot of points, even though they didn't last year. We could win with Mac at the helm though, sure.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
For those who believe Hurts should stay as an insurance policy for 4 games; do you see any games besides, TAMU, LSU, MSU and auburn he would be needed? Could Mac Jones win the other 8 games on his own if Tua misses all or parts of these games?
My thought is that we would need a properly prepared Mac Jones to beat LSU, AU, UGA, and 2 CFP teams at the end.

We would need Jalen early in an emergency against the teams we can just 'Out Talent' so he could guarantee wins with a low risk gameplan...

While during those games Mac starts playing more meaningful snaps and possessions in the 1st half and other critical situations to be ready to fully take over once Jalen's 4 games are up.

Four games where Jalen and Mac almost equally split time if possible.... a transitional period so to speak.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I’m sure this has been discussed somewhere, but I’ll post it here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl...sf/2018/07/gary_danielson_explains_his_ja.amp

I think Gary hits the nail on the head. People act like Jalen can’t throw the ball, and I think that’s false. He’s got decent mechanics and has proven to have a strong arm on down the field throws. He has the physical talent to be an elite quarterback in even in a prostyle offense.

Where there seems to be a gap is on the mental side. His timing never seems quite right, which is why he tends to underthrow his receivers. He can’t throw his receivers open, which is why his stat lines on 5-20 yard throws are abysmal. He can’t read a defense, which is why instead of working through his progressions, last year he either threw it to Ridley or tucked the ball.

None of those challenges are news to anyone. we all know them, they’ve been beaten to death on here. I do appreciate that Gary is at least acknowledging the physical ability which tends to get lost in this discussion. That’s why I’m not ready to give up on Jalen as quickly as some are, especially those advocating demoting him to 3rd string. You can’t teach a guy physical talent, but you can teach him the mental aspects in many cases. Anyone who knows a thing about Jalen knows he’s one of the hardest workers on the team. If anyone would put in the work to better themselves, it’s him. Has he put it together at this point? As of the A-Day game signs were no. Will he put it together at any point? Perhaps not, but with the right coaching there might be a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I think Jalen could play a position similar to the one played by Phillip Lutzenkirken or Chandler Cox at Auburn.

I don’t think you play Jalen at all except for our 4 most difficult regular season games as an added dimension for those teams to prepare for. This will allow Jalen to maintain his RS and still transfer out on a high note with the program.

If take this approach then Mac is your No2 QB and then in these 4 games you could actually have Tua and Jalen on the field at the same time if you so desired.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
I think Jalen could play a position similar to the one played by Phillip Lutzenkirken or Chandler Cox at Auburn.

I don’t think you play Jalen at all except for our 4 most difficult regular season games as an added dimension for those teams to prepare for. This will allow Jalen to maintain his RS and still transfer out on a high note with the program.

If take this approach then Mac is your No2 QB and then in these 4 games you could actually have Tua and Jalen on the field at the same time if you so desired.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Do those four games matter only in the regular season? Do the post season games count in the 4 game restriction? If Jalen is going to hang with the Tide, I would hate to see Bama needing him in the post season, and not be able to use him because he would lose a year of eligibility.
That being said, whatever Jalen chooses to do, I will always appreciate what he has done, and will wish him all of the success in the world (unless he would transfer to one of Bama's rivals, in which case, all bets are off).

Roll Tide!

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Ran into this video this morning on AJ McCarron highlights in the BCS vs Notre Dame. Just another data point on how a team with similar level of talent to the current team performs with a QB that can distribute the ball. This against an arguably talented defense.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I’m sure this has been discussed somewhere, but I’ll post it here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl...sf/2018/07/gary_danielson_explains_his_ja.amp

I think Gary hits the nail on the head. People act like Jalen can’t throw the ball, and I think that’s false. He’s got decent mechanics and has proven to have a strong arm on down the field throws. He has the physical talent to be an elite quarterback in even in a prostyle offense.

Where there seems to be a gap is on the mental side. His timing never seems quite right, which is why he tends to underthrow his receivers. He can’t throw his receivers open, which is why his stat lines on 5-20 yard throws are abysmal. He can’t read a defense, which is why instead of working through his progressions, last year he either threw it to Ridley or tucked the ball.

None of those challenges are news to anyone. we all know them, they’ve been beaten to death on here. I do appreciate that Gary is at least acknowledging the physical ability which tends to get lost in this discussion. That’s why I’m not ready to give up on Jalen as quickly as some are, especially those advocating demoting him to 3rd string. You can’t teach a guy physical talent, but you can teach him the mental aspects in many cases. Anyone who knows a thing about Jalen knows he’s one of the hardest workers on the team. If anyone would put in the work to better themselves, it’s him. Has he put it together at this point? As of the A-Day game signs were no. Will he put it together at any point? Perhaps not, but with the right coaching there might be a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a fair post and you may be right, but what you would call "the mental side" I think has more to do with "the physical" than you indicate.

What you call "timing" is actually a struggle he has with "accuracy." And his inability to "read the defense" and "go through progressions" indicates he doesn't have good field vision. These are more physical than mental IMO.

I think he really struggles with accuracy and that's what causes him to be tentative and it affects his timing on throws. And, he just doesn't see the play developing and there's no way to explain why he can't and Tua can except to say one "sees" things and the other doesn't. It's the same reason there are point guards and then there are guys like Magic Johnson or John Stockton...they just see better...much better.

These are typically things that can't be taught. You either are accurate or you are not and you either see it or you don't. Two years of trying to get better for Jalen leave him basically where he was when he arrived.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Perfect meme is perfect. Hoping you are also a fellow 9gag aficionado because this is a dank meme.
You sir are everything wrong with the internet.

Although there was a post about me on 9gag once that got a couple hundred replies. Someone directed me there and one of the adds tried to give me a virus. That was my last foray into that inane place.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If Tua stays injury free the entire season with Jones as his backup then Hurts, may not getting any playing time at all. To prepare Jones he would need to get all the mop up duty after Tua is through in any game leaving Hurts to hold the clipboard.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
You sir are everything wrong with the internet.

Although there was a post about me on 9gag once that got a couple hundred replies. Someone directed me there and one of the adds tried to give me a virus. That was my last foray into that inane place.
It's an issue that I enjoy the humor of 9gag? Perhaps I've missed something. I thought the joke in the meme was funny and accurate.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
If Tua stays injury free the entire season with Jones as his backup then Hurts, may not getting any playing time at all. To prepare Jones he would need to get all the mop up duty after Tua is through in any game leaving Hurts to hold the clipboard.
Considering that college football is a game that is largely driven by emotion, played by a group of mostly 18-22 year old young men at different levels of maturity, I don't quite understand how a team would be expected to perform at its best with their previous starting QB being sort of on the team for a transition year. When a player is in the trenches in hand to hand combat he has to know that the guy behind him has the same do or die attitude. I can't see this working on a team challenging for number 18. I don't see CNS entering the season with a QB in uniform but planning to move on unless Tua is injured or falls on his face.
If that situation (four game limit) is ultimately adopted it is certainly a new age in college football for me!

Last edited:

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I am not talking about his skill or lack thereof when it comes to passing. You seem to be confusing the two things. To be clear, we are in agreement that Tua should be our guy, and I have been thinking Jalen was in way over his head for a long time. But he is still a cool customer when it comes to his demeanor on the field. I have no idea what is going on in his head, but his expression almost never changes. Maybe you have too much anti-Jalen bias to be objective about this.
My bias is against poor performance during games. Honestly, if our starting QB ran up and down the sidelines screaming and waving his arms - it wouldn't be my preference, but I wouldn't care if he was moving the offense consistently and scoring points on designed plays, rather than mostly on flukes and busted coverage's.

No offense, just my honest opinion.
That, and my Opinion that it's beyond TIRESOME to deal with people who can't seem to grasp the concept that you can dislike an as[ect of a person's athletic performance based on OBJECTIVE FACTS, Without "hating" the person, or being "Biased" against them.

The numbers back me up on virtually every criticism I've made of our offense over the past two seasons.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.