Alabama QB competition article

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

Nick Saban: Why wouldn't we utilize both QBs' talents?

“I’ve said this many times -- somebody’s got to win the team,” Saban said Tuesday morning. “And both of these guys have done things in the program to create value for our team. That’s going to be the challenge. And if both guys can play a role and help us win, why wouldn’t we utilize both guys’ talents?”

https://247sports.com/college/alaba...talents-Tua-Tagovailoa-Jalen-Hurts-120044468/

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Nick Saban: Why wouldn't we utilize both QBs' talents?

“I’ve said this many times -- somebody’s got to win the team,” Saban said Tuesday morning. “And both of these guys have done things in the program to create value for our team. That’s going to be the challenge. And if both guys can play a role and help us win, why wouldn’t we utilize both guys’ talents?”

https://247sports.com/college/alaba...talents-Tua-Tagovailoa-Jalen-Hurts-120044468/
I'm not sure what he has in mind, without there being a clear-cut starter. If it's a two QB scheme, those just don't usually work. I've heard some rumors about Jalen working out some at other positions. I guess it'll stay a mystery, for the time being...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm not sure what he has in mind, without there being a clear-cut starter. If it's a two QB scheme, those just don't usually work. I've heard some rumors about Jalen working out some at other positions. I guess it'll stay a mystery, for the time being...
An H-back that presented a real threat to throw could be interesting...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Well, remember at one point in time Saban did use the wildcat. I can't imagine a better wildcat formation than using Hurts, and there are some specific scenarios in which Hurts might make more sense anyway. I remember in the championship game they brought in Hurts just to set up positioning for the field goal. There were also plays where someone other than the QB threw the ball, like Maze.

Other than that though I'm having trouble imagining a lot of use for Hurts. If it isn't you know, QB sneaks/wildcat, or trick plays, I think clearly Tua should be the guy. May be they could use Hurts as an occasional halfback or something and in doing so kind of set up his use for other plays or trick plays. All the sudden he has the ball and he's about to throw, or he's under center. It would take a lot to do that, but if Alabama can have Stewart, Maze, etc... throwing, why not have some plays for Hurts?

Last edited:

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN
I'm thinking it will be like others have said. He will ask Coach Saban to keep him within the games so that he can redshirt. In return, he will stay on as a contingency of an injury to Tua. We will know if Mac comes in during blowout time.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
After these statements by Jalen, I'm glad he will stay. He and Mac can get mop up duty in blow out games and with coaching from Enos, possibly improve his passing game. He can graduate in December and then make a decision to stay at Bama for his senior year or transfer and play one more year. He will be able to make good money in the CFL or coaching. With his class, character, and athletic ability, an NFL team may take a chance on him at some position.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The more I think about it the more this quote sounds like Hurts already knows how this is going to shake down.
More than likely Jalen knows in his heart who the better quarterback is, you could see that admission on his face when Tua went in the NCG and afterwards when interviewed. It was written all over his face that even he knew who the better QB was. After reading this quote in the article I believe he stays, graduates, works something out with CNS to ensure he keeps his two years of eligibility available to him when he transfers. Mac Jones (behind the scenes) will get a lot more practice reps, IMO.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Maybe this is just me but I don't think a wildcat package with Jalen would be all that successful. Teams were already crowding the LOS when he was back there at QB because they knew he couldn't throw down the field with any consistency. If Jalen lines up in wildcat, everybody, including the defense, knows whats coming. Kind of defeats the purpose IMO. As far as Jalen playing another position - I'm sure he could but I'm just not sure what position he can get playing time in at Bama. I mean he could transfer to a lot of places and maybe play RB or S but I just don't see it at Bama with the talent we have everywhere..

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Maybe this is just me but I don't think a wildcat package with Jalen would be all that successful. Teams were already crowding the LOS when he was back there at QB because they knew he couldn't throw down the field with any consistency. If Jalen lines up in wildcat, everybody, including the defense, knows whats coming. Kind of defeats the purpose IMO. As far as Jalen playing another position - I'm sure he could but I'm just not sure what position he can get playing time in at Bama. I mean he could transfer to a lot of places and maybe play RB or S but I just don't see it at Bama with the talent we have everywhere..
I tend to agree but I think the upside is that teams wouldn't necessarily be preparing for it the way they are now. When its just a piece of the offense as opposed to the whole thing its harder to be prepared for that kind of thing.

We could use him at ILB

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Maybe this is just me but I don't think a wildcat package with Jalen would be all that successful.
It's why I mentioned H-back - put both of them out there and you have a killer QB and talented open-field runner with a good arm.

Imagine a toss-sweep where JH pulls back and hits the receiver after the secondary come crashing towards the LOS.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Maybe this is just me but I don't think a wildcat package with Jalen would be all that successful. Teams were already crowding the LOS when he was back there at QB because they knew he couldn't throw down the field with any consistency. If Jalen lines up in wildcat, everybody, including the defense, knows whats coming. Kind of defeats the purpose IMO.
Maybe if he actually pulls the trigger once in a while on those pop passes at the line of scrimmage. You know, like the illegal linemen downfield passes that Ole Miss and Auburn beat us on a few years ago, when the officials didn't call it. The kind of plays that probably had to do with Saban utilizing (perhaps reluctantly) the RPO spread formation and plays. Crazy thing is, though, we haven't successfully completed that play, though it's been there sometimes.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree, anyone expect Kerryon Johnson or Sony Michel to pass??

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
An H-back that presented a real threat to throw could be interesting...
He's a threat in the open field as well. Too much talent to sit.
Maybe something similar to Meyer’s use of Leak & Tebow during Tebow’s freshman season
If there is a way to use him at another position effectively it may show Jalen that his real potential going forward is to spend two years learning that.

He could obviously be effective at QB somewhere else, but it's not getting him into the NFL without an incredible leap forward in his development.

But, as has been said, being able to learn to block or catch passes in the open field might show NFL teams his value. And then there's always the possiblity to have a H-back who could also throw.

Also, despite what others have said, he could occasionally shift over into the backfield and take direct snaps on designed QB runs.

AND/OR (just for fun): On the above scenario if Jalen shifted to QB and Tua shifted to the slot, Jalen could throw a backward pass to Tua and Tua's hitting someone going deep! :wink:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Sometimes it won't matter that the defense knows it's coming. In a bleed the clock scenario defenses expect a run anyway.

And USCe knew Mark Ingram was getting the snap in the Wildcat and they couldn't stop it even when they knew it was coming. Being saracastic cause I know Jalen's not Mark Ingram, but if Jalen is decisive and he knows the hole he's supposed to hit, he could be effective in that role.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
It's why I mentioned H-back - put both of them out there and you have a killer QB and talented open-field runner with a good arm.

Imagine a toss-sweep where JH pulls back and hits the receiver after the secondary come crashing towards the LOS.
I don't trust him to throw it well enough on the run. The conundrum is he doesn't throw it as well as Tua or run as well as Najee or Damien. So what's the use other than 1 trick play a game or every other game or something. He's basically best used as a decoy. It's a wrinkle, but probably not one we'd even need. I hate to say that but I just don't see enough upside to take the time to install it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.