Alabama QB competition article

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
The only I see Tua not starting the whole season (barring injury) is if Jalen balls out in fall camp and has a turnaround similar to Blake Sims in 2014 and if Tua just for some reason is less than stellar. Two things I don't see happening.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
That's where assumptions comes in for most of fans. I don't think He should change positions and he shouldn't be doing that just to benefit the program. He is talented QB, just not in the right offense at Alabama. He would do well at Oregon, SMU, Texas Tech, etc. Jalen may decide to play in all game with Tua.. or work with the coach to develop a plan for him to play in 4 games assuming if he lose his spot.

The system worked fine when Hurts started and Tua came in 2nd half to play. Both received just about equal playing time in most of the games.. why can't it work this year? IF the game is 30-0 at halftime, then it makes sense to pull one out for others. There are many logic in play, so it's best to leave it up to coach and watch it unfolds...
Texas Tech? Sling the ball 50+ times a game Texas Tech?

Is Kingsbury not running the offense there any longer?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Texas Tech? Sling the ball 50+ times a game Texas Tech?

Is Kingsbury not running the offense there any longer?
He possibly meant Texas or TAMU. I've heard both mentioned as possibilities/suggestions if Jalen transfers. Either of those would be close to home for him.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If Tua is the guy and Jalen is likely to transfer when he graduates then shouldn't all mop up and backup play go to Mac Jones? If Jalen understands this then why not go ahead and transfer before the season starts? Or just sit out this fall, graduate in December transfer and still have two years to play.
If Jalen takes a redshirt he will be sitting out this fall. He can then graduate in December and transfer to another school and be eligible to play 2 years. The better question is what benefit does it provide Jalen to transfer the season starts? He wouldn't be able to play an faster than if he just stays, redshirts and graduates..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
If Jalen takes a redshirt he will be sitting out this fall. He can then graduate in December and transfer to another school and be eligible to play 2 years. The better question is what benefit does it provide Jalen to transfer the season starts? He wouldn't be able to play an faster than if he just stays, redshirts and graduates..
He can play up to 4 games and redshirt.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
He can play up to 4 games and redshirt.
Right, but if the theory is that Jalen loses the QB competition and wants to stay, graduate and take a redshirt why would he want to play in 4 games unless Tua got injured? But, you're correct that he can play in up to 4 games but he would essentially be sitting out if he takes a redshirt considering we can play up to 15 games..

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Does anyone know if the 4 games includes the SEC champ and playoffs, or is it 4 games in just a regular season.

If we do make it to the SEC championship game, it will be good to have all 3 QB ready to go with lots of experience throughout the season. I want Tua to be the starter.

I'm wondering though if, Saban may play Jalen and Mac more in games such as Arkansas State, Citadel, etc and try to keep Tua healthy for the SEC games--maybe let Tua play just 1 quarter of those type non SEC games. I guess team chemistry with each QB will also be a factor.

I have a feeling that Jalen will play in more than 4 games though, at QB (some) and another position. We don't know what Saban has up his sleeve or what he and Jalen have actually discussed. Probably nobody knows except maybe Saban and Jalen, and maybe Jalen's dad. He's certainly not going to let the media/fans know right now.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Jalen won't burn a year of eligibility playing mop up duty. Just doesn't make any sense..
I agree, and as I said, if Jalen is redshirted and leaves in December why give him the mop up duty? The extra game reps should go to Mac Jones. 2016 SEC Offensive Player of the Year holding the clip board and signaling in plays. Who would have thought.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Jalen won't burn a year of eligibility playing mop up duty. Just doesn't make any sense..
Agreed. Which is why as soon as the decision is made (which I think it's already been made) on who the starter will be, I think a plan will be put in place (assuming Tua is named starter) that Mac Jones will get more practice reps and the bulk/if not all of mop up duty. The only way Jalen is actually inserted into a game is for emergency purposes only. Because as you've stated, no way Jalen agrees to stay, graduate yet burn up a year of eligibility on mop up duty. No way.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Agreed. Which is why as soon as the decision is made (which I think it's already been made) on who the starter will be, I think a plan will be put in place (assuming Tua is named starter) that Mac Jones will get more practice reps and the bulk/if not all of mop up duty. The only way Jalen is actually inserted into a game is for emergency purposes only. Because as you've stated, no way Jalen agrees to stay, graduate yet burn up a year of eligibility on mop up duty. No way.
Actually somewhat excited to see what Mac Jones can do and how he looks in whatever playing time he gets. He made some good throws at A day by standing in the pocket and letting the play develop..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.