Alabama QB competition article

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Think that came out the week of SEC Media Days. It seems to indicate Hurts will probably only play the 4 games allowed, redshirt, graduate and transfer with 2 years of eligibility remaining (all of this assuming Tua will start).

It also opens up the possiblity that he might try another position, but the majority opinion on the board is that's doubtful.
I think he makes it as QB or not at all. Don't think he has the elusiveness to play running back or the speed and moves to play WR. NFL is full of guys who looked awful their first 2 and even 3 years in college.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Lots of stuff I disagree with here especially the statement about them being fairly equal with their accuracy. That's insane and it's not even close when you look at game film.

Also, the annonymous coach forgets that Jalen hasn't proven he can lead us to a championship. Actually, he's proven otherwise.

Finally, it's bogus to make the point Tua will lose games because of TO's. It's an unproven point and the best proof is he'll win games with his arm.

Anybody could have written this article and most of what he wrote is dribble from message boards from those who think Jalen still should be the quarterback.
Or when they played against air during the summer camps this year. From observers on site the accuracy and timing difference between Tua and Jalen was very noticeable..

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
just my $0.02 worth but based on what you saw in the first half of the Championship game in the first half and then the second half,
would we have needed a once in a life time play if Tua had started the game....???

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I have very little doubt that Jalen is solid in the accuracy department throwing into nets. Unfortunately that has very little to do with accuracy within a game. Anticipation, timing, and confidence are significantly more important than being able to spot throw.
Exactly. Why I noted that "in the game" is the true standard of measurement. It's not even close!

just my $0.02 worth but based on what you saw in the first half of the Championship game in the first half and then the second half,
would we have needed a once in a life time play if Tua had started the game....???
Much has been speculated regarding how prepared Georgia was for Tua. Kirby said they prepared for him. To what extent we'll never know, I guess. All I know is that even with a slow start and INT, there was enough positive change to our offense to turn the game around and then once Tua got comfortable they weren't stopping us.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I believe we would have beaten UGA by a couple of TDs if Tua had played the whole game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think he makes it as QB or not at all. Don't think he has the elusiveness to play running back or the speed and moves to play WR. NFL is full of guys who looked awful their first 2 and even 3 years in college.
FWIW, again, I'm just saying that's what some believe it means. I agree with you that he probably can't play another position at Bama especially because the 4 and 5 start talent is steep. Just don't think he has a future as a QB in the NFL.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
there's more trust in [Hurts] than in Tagovailoa at this point to not make the big mistake that's going to lose you a game
I've felt for a long time that this is Jalen's strongest suit in the competition. He rarely makes that mistake. The crown of the helmet on his chinstrap he took versus Ole Miss 2016 being an obvious exception, but I don't know any player who could have taken that hit and not dropped the ball. Jalen popped up, dusted himself off, and went back to winning the game. Tough. I've always admired Jalen for that and I think Coach Saban does as well.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I've felt for a long time that this is Jalen's strongest suit in the competition. He rarely makes that mistake. The crown of the helmet on his chinstrap he took versus Ole Miss 2016 being an obvious exception, but I don't know any player who could have taken that hit and not dropped the ball. Jalen popped up, dusted himself off, and went back to winning the game. Tough. I've always admired Jalen for that and I think Coach Saban does as well.
No one, with half a brain, would dispute his toughness.

But do you think him not throwing to wide open receivers or running out of bounds on third downs to stall drives was not making a "mistake?"

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The article is a typical desperate summertime "will fall camp please start?" article. Nets have nothing to do with game accuracy. I'm sure could have beaten either of these kids throwing into a net, for sheer arm strength, not that it helped that much...

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
yep. someone mentioned LB..a physical specimen like Jerrell Harris couldnt make it in the NFL but some think Jalen could try. no chance. every college player doesnt play in the NFL.. Jalen will be another and there is nothing wrong with that.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
You are right. And I will admit I was one of the guys who was adamantly opposed to Blake playing QB at the time, as I saw him as a straight running QB and believed all the Coker hype. I was way wrong on that one for that season. Blake did an outstanding job for us, and Coker proved himself the following year. It all worked out.
I was really critical of Coker but he shut me up and he played very well starting with the UGA game, his toughness is what stood out to me.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
No one, with half a brain, would dispute his toughness.

But do you think him not throwing to wide open receivers or running out of bounds on third downs to stall drives was not making a "mistake?"
That is Jalen's weak suit.
But "that" mistake, the one I was referring to, was making the turnover that will lose the game. Jalen does not make that mistake.

Look, I'm not arguing that Jalen should start over Tua. What I said all last year was that Coach Saban values a QB that will not kill the team with a stupid turnover over one who may win the game by taking risks. I surmised (and this is completely conjecture on my part), that Tua was a bit of a gunslinger in practice (think about the play against UGA when everybody knew the play was a run, but Tua thought it was a pass) and Jalen was the steady one who was not necessarily going to win the game through his passing, but at least would not lose the game by being careless with the ball.
We all saw how that turned out against really good defenses: the D would crowd the line with seven, eight or nine in the box, shut down the running game and dare Bama to win by throwing the ball. Jalen barely got that done against Miss State, could not get that done against the Barn (and I hate losing to those slack-jawed bugger-eating morons as much as anybody), did not have to against Clemson, but against UGA, was obviously not going to get it done.
If Tua can show in practice he won't be careless with the ball, then he'll start I'd wager. The ceiling is obviously higher with Tua than Jalen, as much as I respect Jalen's toughness and speed as a runner, and unflappable calm as a leader.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That is Jalen's weak suit.
But "that" mistake, the one I was referring to, was making the turnover that will lose the game. Jalen does not make that mistake.

Look, I'm not arguing that Jalen should start over Tua. What I said all last year was that Coach Saban values a QB that will not kill the team with a stupid turnover over one who may win the game by taking risks. I surmised (and this is completely conjecture on my part), that Tua was a bit of a gunslinger in practice (think about the play against UGA when everybody knew the play was a run, but Tua thought it was a pass) and Jalen was the steady one who was not necessarily going to win the game through his passing, but at least would not lose the game by being careless with the ball.
We all saw how that turned out against really good defenses: the D would crowd the line with seven, eight or nine in the box, shut down the running game and dare Bama to win by throwing the ball. Jalen barely got that done against Miss State, could not get that done against the Barn (and I hate losing to those slack-jawed bugger-eating morons as much as anybody), did not have to against Clemson, but against UGA, was obviously not going to get it done.
If Tua can show in practice he won't be careless with the ball, then he'll start I'd wager. The ceiling is obviously higher with Tua than Jalen, as much as I respect Jalen's toughness and speed as a runner, and unflappable calm as a leader.
Good post. Unfortunately, because Jalen threw so few INTs many have assumed any INTs will be too many for Tua. But, a "healthy" TD to INT rate for leading passers in the NFL is around 4 or 3 to 1. We'll be OK if Tua throws a few (even an occasional pick 6) because he'll also account for another 2 or 3 TDs too.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Good post. Unfortunately, because Jalen threw so few INTs many have assumed any INTs will be too many for Tua. But, a "healthy" TD to INT rate for leading passers in the NFL is around 4 or 3 to 1. We'll be OK if Tua throws a few (even an occasional pick 6) because he'll also account for another 2 or 3 TDs too.
Very true.
Heck, Tua threw a [freshman] pick in the 2nd half of the national championship, and they still won.
If Tua throws a dumb pick in the 4th quarter and Bama's up by 27, Coach Saban will be mad for a minute, but he'll get over it.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Deshaun Watson was one of the best College QBs in recent memory and even he threw like 13-15 INTs a season but would make up for it by throwing 35-40 TDs. Only thing I would ask though is to not make any mistakes that would give the opposing team good field position.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
FWIW, again, I'm just saying that's what some believe it means. I agree with you that he probably can't play another position at Bama especially because the 4 and 5 start talent is steep. Just don't think he has a future as a QB in the NFL.
Not sure if he could pull it off, but I believe his best chance at NFL would be at strong safety. I think his athleticism matches up best with that position.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
One could argue that a stalled drive or a three and out that was the result of a pass NOT thrown (i.e. and could have been avoided by throwing the ball instead of holding onto it) is effectively a turnover with better field position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Not sure if he could pull it off, but I believe his best chance at NFL would be at strong safety. I think his athleticism matches up best with that position.
I think Jalen wants to live and die at the QB position, if he doesn't make it, he'll probably go the Jeremy Johnson route and coach High School Football.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
One could argue that a stalled drive or a three and out that was the result of a pass NOT thrown (i.e. and could have been avoided by throwing the ball instead of holding onto it) is effectively a turnover with better field position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jalen Hurts makes far more mistakes than does #13. I could list them all, but it's been noted over and over already.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.