Alabama QB competition article

pastorbt

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 9, 2017
Thank you Jalen for the hard work you put in. For being the starting quarterback at the University of Alabama! You came in as a true freshman, put the team on your back and led the Tide to 26 victories in two seasons. There were times that you frustrated me with decisions that you made on the field. But, so did the guy that played quarterback for my high school team! There were times I would look at him in the huddle and jump his case! There were times when I would scream at my TV and jump yours! But through it all he was, and you were my quarterback! If you stay at Alabama, I will cheer you on. If you leave Alabama, I will be thankful for what you have accomplished for this team, my team. And wherever you go, I will cheer you on, and never forget what you have done. I wish that you wouldn't have said some of the things you said, but at 20, I wish I hadn't said a ton of things that I said. With all of this, I will hope that you will give it everything you have on the field, and in life. But I also, believe that there are times when you must realize your limitations, and maybe do something different. Don't be afraid to change positions if you need to. You will find that life has a crazy way of changing your position for you sometimes. Roll Tide Jalen. I'm not mad at you! I'm for you! I'm for Tua! I'm for the Crimson Tide!

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Re: Alabama QB competition article (ALL QB posts here, please)

Was it a rumor or did Tua or his family actually say after the CG last year that he was going to transfer if he didn’t get put in for the second half? .
I don't think it was necessarily the 2nd half, but that he wanted a chance to prove himself before the end of the season, rather than sitting on the bench behind a guy that wasn't as good. And yes, I think he would have transferred had he not gotten that chance. He did get the chance, of course, in spectacular fashion, and judging not only by his 2nd half performance in the title game, but the fact that he played well nearly every chance he got last year, plus the fact Hurts always struggles vs good defenses, Tua deserves to be the starting qb. Evidently Jalen and his family can't deal with that.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I don't think it was necessarily the 2nd half, but that he wanted a chance to prove himself before the end of the season, rather than sitting on the bench behind a guy that wasn't as good. And yes, I think he would have transferred had he not gotten that chance. He did get the chance, of course, in spectacular fashion, and judging not only by his 2nd half performance in the title game, but the fact that he played well nearly every chance he got last year, plus the fact Hurts always struggles vs good defenses, Tua deserves to be the starting qb. Evidently Jalen and his family can't deal with that.
Particularly the mother...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think it's important to him to get his degree. However, I mentioned before that one possibility might be that he would withdraw from the team and just finish his degree as an academic student. I think the odds of that soared yesterday...
I had not even considered that possibility. That would be the most selfish thing that he could possibly do. It would be totally self-serving. Not saying that it isn't his right to do so, but if the team isn't pushing him out I hope he stays on the team. You just don't know what might happen over the course of a season, and it is entirely possible that Alabama might need him at some point this season.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
I had not even considered that possibility. That would be the most selfish thing that he could possibly do. It would be totally self-serving. Not saying that it isn't his right to do so, but if the team isn't pushing him out I hope he stays on the team. You just don't know what might happen over the course of a season, and it is entirely possible that Alabama might need him at some point this season.
I could see a scenario where he stays on the team and assuming Tua is the starter, he asks not to play in mop up duty. I believe he can play up to 4 games and maintain his RS under the new rules. If Tua gets hurt, all bets are off and he is needed. But, if Tua stays healthy, and Jalen is only used where/if needed, he can remain and preserve 2 more years of eligibility, possibly at FAU.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I could see a scenario where he stays on the team and assuming Tua is the starter, he asks not to play in mop up duty. I believe he can play up to 4 games and maintain his RS under the new rules. If Tua gets hurt, all bets are off and he is needed. But, if Tua stays healthy, and Jalen is only used where/if needed, he can remain and preserve 2 more years of eligibility, possibly at FAU.
This is what I have been assuming would happen.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

I think Tua being the starter and easing up the fronts for the run game is the main reason Harris came back. He's no Derrick Henry. He'll benefit from an offense that has balance because he's a great single cut runner and pass catcher. He won't have to dance around the line of scrimmage much.
His one or two cut ability, as we are seeing more and more, really makes him a big play threat. In terms of explosiveness, Damien is that as a RB.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
I think one of the things we may be overlooking is one 'Mac Jones'. How well is he improving? I like Jalen, I want him to hang in there. But, if he does decide to leave, would Bama really be in trouble?I have been impressed with Mac, and I'm not convinced the fall off would to the side of detrimental. Jalen must do what he thinks is best for Jalen. I wish him the best whatever he decides.

Roll Tide!

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Has the point been reached, as far as the board is concerned, that it will now be a surprise if Tua is not the starter against Louisville?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think one of the things we may be overlooking is one 'Mac Jones'. How well is he improving? I like Jalen, I want him to hang in there. But, if he does decide to leave, would Bama really be in trouble?I have been impressed with Mac, and I'm not convinced the fall off would to the side of detrimental. Jalen must do what he thinks is best for Jalen. I wish him the best whatever he decides.

Roll Tide!
Mac Jones absolutely looks like a talent, but you need a 3rd QB. Injuries happen.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I try to look at this stuff from all sides.

But the breaking point for me was when his daddy shot off his mouth about being the best free agent in history.

I've attempted to realize, 'Hey, we're dealing with a kid only four months older than my own son is. I spotted Jalen making "freshman mistakes" well into his sophomore year.

The bizarre fact is that if Jalen was just able to complete ONE pass to Calvin Ridley early in the UGA game, we might not be here at all. He might possibly be 0 for 2 for national titles, but I think Tua would be gone anyway.

The part I don't understand from the rational point of view (which you'd hope his coach daddy would take) is this: if you can't complete passes to the receivers at Alabama when you throw the ball, how in the hell are you going to be able to do it elsewhere with a lesser O-line and lesser receivers? Amari Cooper often made Blake Sims look like Phil Simms in his better NFL days.

I'm reminded of the wisdom of Gil Grissom:
"Sooner or later, everyone gets replaced."

I also concur with Earle that something somehow should have been done to make sure both knew expectations and how they would factor (at least as much as possible) into the decision.

That much I can put on Nick Saban and admit, "Hey, he's NOT perfect as a head coach."

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
That much I can put on Nick Saban and admit, "Hey, he's NOT perfect as a head coach."
I'd say Saban made bigger mistakes by #1-not taking the OC's advice and playing Tua earlier (including the Auburn game), and #2- fostering this "competition" this long.

He's arguably the greatest college coach ever (Bryant?) but he's human, so he's not infallible.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
My take on the whole sit down with the two QB's is every position has competition attached to securing the job. Coach Saban and every other coach will preach to the players that jobs are up for grabs from day one. Are QB's so fragile that he has to have a sit down knee to knee conversation with them to ensure that they are all on the same page? I am willing to bet he doesn't have to do that with the "Big Nasty OL". I am just trying to view things from another perspective here.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

The mother's comments are a problem with the insinuation that Jalen has been controlled and corralled for two years. That's a shot at Saban, and whatever mistakes CNS has made, it's an unnecessary one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
One thing I don't understand is why Jalen didn't clear up a few things much sooner. For example, ever since the championship game there was so much uncertainty about whether Jalen would stay or transfer. So much uncertainty that Coach Saban wasn't even sure what Jalen was going to do. So many articles written speculating what he might do. Jalen Hurts does have a twitter account. Rather than leave everyone wondering what his future was he could have tweeted something to let everyone know and thus avoid the confusion. Same thing if he saw stories printed about him that were false. He could have corrected some of them via Twitter. Coach Saban does not ban players from posting on twitter and he probably doesn't care if they tweet about football as long as they don't use twitter to attack the coaching staff or university.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This lowkey may end up being one of the most important things to what footing the Final Stage of the Saban Era starts on...

This just feels like something if not handled adeptly could end up dividing a locker room and affecting performance.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.