Alabama QB competition article

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Re: Alabama QB competition article (ALL QB posts here, please)

Instead of going out and "balling" and prove he is the guy at QB Jalen resorted to complaining before the media. That is not the way to win over your team, coaches, or fans. Going to social media to drum up support for your "brand" is an ill advised path. This isn't American Idol. His father was the one who started the transfer rumor, but he seems to be upset that people then speculated on that rumor or that CNS may have doubts whether he stays. He said the coaches weren't "bold" enough to deal with the situation. The coaches job isn't to stroke his ego. Why didn't he go the CNS and voice any concerns? That is what AJ did. The coaches did what they should have done. They gave him every opportunity to compete. Evidently, that is not good enough. After CNS had specifically stated he didn't want the QBs to draw attention to themselves, Jalen publicly defied him. That is certainly crossing the line. I think Jalen is bringing this to a head because he knows Tua will be the starter. He doesn't want to be labeled a "quitter" so he has opted to be labeled as someone that was unfairly treated. I am sure CNS's open mic comment was hurtful, but it was true. Danielson said it best. Jalen is a good athlete with a strong arm, but he doesn't know how to play QB. Fortunately for Alabama Tua and Mac do.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014

First, I meant to hit quote and accidentally hit "Thanks" and tapatalk won't let me undo it.

Second, to say you haven't seen Hurts demonstrate NFL quality athletic ability at all in the last two years is nonsense. You have. Critique his passing. Criticize his processing. His athletic ability at the QB position is world class and nearly unmatched. He is a superlative athlete.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
If he's a NFL caliber quarterback, world class and nearly unmatched, why does he struggle vs good college defenses?

I bet he will never play a minute at quarterback in the NFL.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012

I've not seen this Jalen Hurts the last 2 years
I don’t know what film you’re looking at but a guy who passed for over 2,000 yards and rushed for over 800 yards in his two seasons is pretty athletic to me.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012

Instead of going out and "balling" and prove he is the guy at QB Jalen resorted to complaining before the media. That is not the way to win over your team, coaches, or fans. Going to social media to drum up support for your "brand" is an ill advised path. This isn't American Idol. His father was the one who started the transfer rumor, but he seems to be upset that people then speculated on that rumor or that CNS may have doubts whether he stays. He said the coaches weren't "bold" enough to deal with the situation. The coaches job isn't to stroke his ego. Why didn't he go the CNS and voice any concerns? That is what AJ did. The coaches did what they should have done. They gave him every opportunity to compete. Evidently, that is not good enough. After CNS had specifically stated he didn't want the QBs to draw attention to themselves, Jalen publicly defied him. That is certainly crossing the line. I think Jalen is bringing this to a head because he knows Tua will be the starter. He doesn't want to be labeled a "quitter" so he has opted to be labeled as someone that was unfairly treated. I am sure CNS's open mic comment was hurtful, but it was true. Danielson said it best. Jalen is a good athlete with a strong arm, but he doesn't know how to play QB. Fortunately for Alabama Tua and Mac do.
Where in the interview did Jalen say he wasn’t going to battle for the starting job?

I still have yet to see where he said this.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL

If he's a NFL caliber quarterback, world class and nearly unmatched, why does he struggle vs good college defenses?

I bet he will never play a minute at quarterback in the NFL.
I think he is trying to say that also. That’s why he keeps saying “skill position” and “athletic ability”. He never said anything about him being a qb in the pros.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014

I think he is trying to say that also. That’s why he keeps saying “skill position” and “athletic ability”. He never said anything about him being a qb in the pros.
"His athletic ability at the QB position is world class and nearly unmatched."

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014

In any event, I haven't seen the nfl Jalen Hurts or the world class and nearly unmatched qb Jalen Hurts and I still wonder why that guy struggles vs good college defenses.

We tend to get off on a tangent in this thread, and now Hurts' comments have complicated the issue but I think the bottom line is that Tua Tagovailoa is just a better quarterback.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

In any event, I haven't seen the nfl Jalen Hurts or the world class and nearly unmatched qb Jalen Hurts and I still wonder why that guy struggles vs good college defenses.

We tend to get off on a tangent in this thread, and now Hurts' comments have complicated the issue but I think the bottom line is that Tua Tagovailoa is just a better quarterback.
As far as I am concerned there has been no QB controversy since the second half of the playoff with Georgia. I have read the threads and scratched my head at those who think Jalen could somehow learn how to pass consistently before the season starts. The controversy will be who backs up Tua.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

"His athletic ability at the QB position is world class and nearly unmatched."
It is. He's an amazing athlete. He's just not a gifted passer or have a great mind for the position.

But the things he can do as an athlete compared to other QBs is outstanding. But if he cant throw it well none of that matters.

The guy runs around a 4.5 40, is an accomplished weight lifter and can evade defenders with relative ease. He's got a great nose for seams in the defense when running. As far as athletic ability he is great.

He's just not the best all around QB on the team. If he switch positions now I'd wager he had enough athletic ability to sniff and NFL team. But that's not really what this is about.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

I finally watched the video of Jalen's interview. I think I have a different take than a lot of people. I don't think it was that bad. I think that when Jalen said, "this thing in uncontrollable" he was referring to trying to control what the media and fans say about the QB situation. In that case, he's right. The coaches can't control it. They also can't control what his family says. The media will try to play it up as a huge controversy and a potential problem for the team, but that's what they always do. They sensationalize everything in an attempt to sell newspapers and increase readership on their web sites. But I don't think this will be a problem.

Jalen has said that he's not leaving. I take that to mean he's committed to competing for the starting job. It also means he's committed to being the backup if that's the way things work out. We'll see. I'm sure he's been frustrated and he got a chance to vent a little. OK, fine, no harm done as long as it doesn't become the norm. And I don't think Saban will allow that to happen.

IMHO, The bottom line is this - Saban is going to play the QB who he believes gives us the best chance to win. The players understand that and that's what they want, also. I don't think the team will be divided over the QB competition.
Excellent post.

Thanks for not getting caught up in all the drama here.

Go get 'em Jalen....keep charging!

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

Where in the interview did Jalen say he wasn’t going to battle for the starting job?

I still have yet to see where he said this.
I guess you have heard actions speak louder than words....Battling for the QB job doesn't entail "bawling" to the media instead of "balling" on the field. It doesn't entail drumming up support from social media. It doesn't entail having your father threatening that you will transfer if you aren't anointed the starting QB. It doesn't entail defying the specific instructions of your head coach. Jalen lost the QB battle in the NC game and he lost the QB battle during spring game. If he really wanted to win the QB battle he would do it on the field and not in the media.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

No way you can keep him apart of the team going forward. At this point, who's right or wrong doesnt matter. Nothing about this is going away as long as he's on the team. Its time to part ways.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

No way you can keep him apart of the team going forward. At this point, who's right or wrong doesnt matter. Nothing about this is going away as long as he's on the team. Its time to part ways.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
You mean “a part”?

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

I don’t know what film you’re looking at but a guy who passed for over 2,000 yards and rushed for over 800 yards in his two seasons is pretty athletic to me.
Really? I would need to look at the stats to be sure 2000 and 800 is right. But let's assume it is. What does that come out to per game?

Over the two years on the team, he has played in 28 games and has 4,861 yards passing. That works out to 173 yards per game. Those are not numbers that are going to make the pros say "wow, I must get this guy on my team." It won't even get the scouts to say "wow, I want this guy holding the clipboard on my sidelines." Add in the fact that many of his yards on 2016 came on those jet screen/shuffle passes, and you can easily deduce that any claim to him having any NFL passing skills is incorrect. Athletically, yes. He certainly has that. Unfortunately, his QBing skills have not developed and I am guessing he is being a bit stubborn about the possibility of switching roles. Not certain if Saban has even mentioned the idea to him, but to me, it is what he needs to do if he wants a shot at the NFL.

As for the video, I am going to withhold judgment for now. This kid has had his named mentioned so many times over the last 6 months or so, with much of the talk being negative, and he could not respond to any of it. He finally got to say something and a lot of his emotions came out. I don't blame him for feeling the way he feels. And though it was ill-advised, I am not going to plaster him for saying what he did.

However, I will maintain my position that what is probably in the best interest of everyone is for him to take a redshirt this year, transfer, and play out the rest of his college career elsewhere. Preferably, at another position and at a school where he can get playing time and develop at that position. It would be a shame to let all of his talent go to waste.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.