Alabama QB competition article

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Re: Alabama QB competition article (ALL QB posts here, please)

Good old Joey Freshwater................someone who should not throw stones considering his antics. I think he's probably campaigning for JH to come to FAU on the sly. He's really fortunate that no one has made public what he was about...........
It’s rich to hear him weigh in... Kiffin has as much or more to do with Hurts’s career derailment as anyone.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

My thoughts are that Saban’s comment about not knowing if Jalen would stay was based primarily on Jalen’s Dad’s comment; I was not aware of anything coming from Jalen after his Dad’s comment but before Saban’s, to clarify his position. His tweet after Saban’s comment should have, IMO, been a meeting with Saban instead to clear the air, and to make his feelings known.
If my first sentence is an accurate chronology of events, then I personally don’t fault Saban for any of this. I think it’s common knowledge how Saban feels (and probably all coaches) about parents making public comments like this. I saw this whole situation begin to spin out of control as soon as Dad opened his mouth, and if I’m correct about Jalen not speaking up until Saban’s comment, then this is on Jalen - and he can blame his Dad. And now Mom, too.
As far as who starts against Louisville, up until now I was willing to wager it would be Jalen. I saw part of the spring game, and one TD pass he missed on was, IMO (at the time) on the receiver. You never know, but that might have changed the outcome (at the very least, Jalen’s stats).
Regardless, Saban has traditionally gone with experience when competition was very close, but has never been reluctant (going back to his time in whoville) to use the hook when experience wasn’t paying off. Closest he’s come to that at Bama was with AJ/Sims, and I never doubted he would have done it had AJ faltered badly.
Now, after Jalen’s interview, I still think it’s 50/50 who takes the first snap unless one of them really struggles in camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

My thoughts are that Saban’s comment about not knowing if Jalen would stay was based primarily on Jalen’s Dad’s comment; I was not aware of anything coming from Jalen after his Dad’s comment but before Saban’s, to clarify his position. His tweet after Saban’s comment should have, IMO, been a meeting with Saban instead to clear the air, and to make his feelings known.
If my first sentence is an accurate chronology of events, then I personally don’t fault Saban for any of this. I think it’s common knowledge how Saban feels (and probably all coaches) about parents making public comments like this. I saw this whole situation begin to spin out of control as soon as Dad opened his mouth, and if I’m correct about Jalen not speaking up until Saban’s comment, then this is on Jalen - and he can blame his Dad. And now Mom, too.
As far as who starts against Louisville, up until now I was willing to wager it would be Jalen. I saw part of the spring game, and one TD pass he missed on was, IMO (at the time) on the receiver. You never know, but that might have changed the outcome (at the very least, Jalen’s stats).
Regardless, Saban has traditionally gone with experience when competition was very close, but has never been reluctant (going back to his time in whoville) to use the hook when experience wasn’t paying off. Closest he’s come to that at Bama was with AJ/Sims, and I never doubted he would have done it had AJ faltered badly.
Now, after Jalen’s interview, I still think it’s 50/50 who takes the first snap unless one of them really struggles in camp.

You never know..................but I think Jalen has lost his job, and wont get it back

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

I think the starting QB will be the player that performs the best in fall camp. That could be either one.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012

I don’t like how the media is trying to paint Coach Saban as the bad guy (there are no bad guys in this situation). Was there maybe a misunderstanding? Sure. But what was Saban supposed to do? Jalen himself said he wants to graduate in December so why is the media saying it’s Saban’s fault for not telling him to transfer in the spring?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I don’t like how the media is trying to paint Coach Saban as the bad guy (there are no bad guys in this situation). Was there maybe a misunderstanding? Sure. But what was Saban supposed to do? Jalen himself said he wants to graduate in December so why is the media saying it’s Saban’s fault for not telling him to transfer in the spring?
This is what the media does. Not sure why anyone listens, much less trusts them. Journalism died with the internet.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL

Exactly.

It was JH’s father who sent made statements about Jalen, making comments such as “He’ll be the biggest free agent in college football.” I’m quite certain his father is in his ear and Jalen hasn’t handed being the undisputed starter one minute to being QB2 the next very well. I think it was pretty apparent that JH lost his job in the second half of the CFPNCG, and you could tell he had mentally checked out by spring practice.

The only thing that he can do at this point is lay low, try to compete and win the job, or make a move for his future in December. All this other talk about feelings and what happened or didn’t happen is making him become a distraction and a target for the media. So with all that, what would anybody expect CNS to say at this point?

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

I think the starting QB will be the player that performs the best in fall camp. That could be either one.
Yes. Particularly with the fact that Tua was unable to participate in the Spring. .

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012

Interesting post, what *if* Tua has a less than stellar fall camp? Then what?

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014

Interesting post, what *if* Tua has a less than stellar fall camp? Then what?
A "less than stellar fall camp" would probably not be as bad as struggling every game vs good defenses. We have 2 years worth of live games to go on with Hurts. We'll pound the also rans though.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004

If a "less than stellar fall camp" means a bunch of risky throws, turnovers, and inconsistency, Jalen will be the starter. I don't expect that to happen, but you never know.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006

It's pretty easy to envision JH not being a part of the team this fall. A lot of potential for ugliness all the way around. The fans who have been on camera celebrating with his family in the stands might take a different tact now.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

Schlabach summed it up correctly when referring to Jalen's rant. “I think it diminishes Jalen’s chances of winning the starting job, which was pretty small to begin with. Saban doesn’t like having outspoken players (or assistant coaches), and I think Hurts probably crossed the line."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...back-battle-roundtable-jalen-hurts-nick-saban

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

It's pretty easy to envision JH not being a part of the team this fall. A lot of potential for ugliness all the way around. The fans who have been on camera celebrating with his family in the stands might take a different tact now.
The fact that now he, his dad and his mom have made public comments about Jalen's QB status is making more noise than anything he's done on the field in a long time. If more people try to weigh in it could get out of hand.

Jalen needs to ball out in camp and that's his only way of getting this turned around. The problem is Tua is not gonna give an inch.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I disagree. All Saban did was express the same life philosophy he has so many times about the past, present, and the future (tomorrow is a mystery). He didn't (doesn't) know, no more than any of the rest of us, whether Jalen will be in fall camp or not. Hell, Jalen doesn't know. It's unfortunate the juxtaposition of that Weltanschauung with the circumstances at the moment. He's the one being consistent...

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012

Well regardless of what side of the fence we're on, I'm sure everyone agrees that it's going to be awesome watching Tua this season. If I'm not mistaken, other than the UGA game, he was able to get some playing time in against some opposing 1s on defense right?

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

Too much to unpack, but all things considered, this is a good problem to have. I also think CNS will handle it as well as it can be handled. I am officially in the rotate two elite quarterbacks camp.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.