Alabama QB competition article

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Re: Alabama QB competition article (ALL QB posts here, please)

I think you are confusing "good" with other words like "fast" but when I think about a good runner that means he's effective when he does it.

AJ was "good" in that he knew exactly when to take off. Now I'm not talking about "scrambling" ability and avoiding getting sacked under pressure. Yes, I think Tua will be much better than AJ about that.

But AJ had a good "feel" for when the called play was covered to the point that (when green grass was in front of him) he knew when he could take off and get a sizeable gain. I think he was very "good" at understanding this. He wasn't a "fast" runner (probably 4.8 on the 40 if I had to guess) but he was deadly at times to improvise and get an easy 5 to 10 yards when receivers weren't open.
I don't think you can ignore speed/agility when discussing how good a runner a QB is. AJ was good for his level of athleticism but Tua is on another level than AJ as a runner. Maybe calling AJ efficient would be better? idk but good feels like a huge stretch.

Also, I know you didn't say this but I think it would be a HUGE mistake to only have Tua run as a last resort. Dude is a threat running the ball and its a skill set that should be and likely will be used.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

I think you are confusing "good" with other words like "fast" but when I think about a good runner that means he's effective when he does it.

AJ was "good" in that he knew exactly when to take off. Now I'm not talking about "scrambling" ability and avoiding getting sacked under pressure. Yes, I think Tua will be much better than AJ about that.

But AJ had a good "feel" for when the called play was covered to the point that (when green grass was in front of him) he knew when he could take off and get a sizeable gain. I think he was very "good" at understanding this. He wasn't a "fast" runner (probably 4.8 on the 40 if I had to guess) but he was deadly at times to improvise and get an easy 5 to 10 yards when receivers weren't open.
For some reason I am now thinking about one of our QB's from the 80's. The guy was a fair enough passer, and I believe it was Gary Hollingsworth, but I could be mistaken thee. Anyway, apparently he was not fast at all. The announcer said something to effect that any time that guy started running with the ball, the refs should be allowed to automatically throw a flag for delay of game.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

If AJ had rolled to his right on that 4th down play at Auburn, who knows....

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

I saw on the video analysis that the players called a meeting today to discuss the QB situation/Jalen's comments. I believe Ross P stated that in his interview.

I wonder what exactly was said and if the players are ready to focus on practices. I hope it does not become more of a distraction and that it does not affect the locker room... easier said than done though.

I like Jalen but don't approve of him publicly making some of the comments. He should have done that privately. I do hope he stays through January, however, as long as he is not a distraction. (And I am all in for Tua to be our starter!)

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

For some reason I am now thinking about one of our QB's from the 80's. The guy was a fair enough passer, and I believe it was Gary Hollingsworth, but I could be mistaken thee. Anyway, apparently he was not fast at all. The announcer said something to effect that any time that guy started running with the ball, the refs should be allowed to automatically throw a flag for delay of game.
LOL - you're right it was probably Hollingsworth. That team had some decent players who were still pretty slow. From that same time I recall Lee Ozmit (sp) either intercepting a 2 point conversion or catching a blocked extra point in the end zone and returning it all the way for 2 points at legion field. I'm still not sure how he made it all the way, as it seemed to be the slowest ever 100 yd dash. I thought at the time that I could have started and finished my hotdog just during that play...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I don't think you can ignore speed/agility when discussing how good a runner a QB is. AJ was good for his level of athleticism but Tua is on another level than AJ as a runner. Maybe calling AJ efficient would be better? idk but good feels like a huge stretch.

Also, I know you didn't say this but I think it would be a HUGE mistake to only have Tua run as a last resort. Dude is a threat running the ball and its a skill set that should be and likely will be used.
I was just focusing on his ability to run when needed, not as a scrambler or on a designed run. But the point was he wasn't bad at it and "good" just seemed like an appropriate word. "Efficient" is probably better.

And I agree that Tua's skill set will allow him to be a better scrambler and rusher on some limited designed runs. But I'll tell you when we'll have some of our biggest plays this years. It'll be when Tua's been torching a secondary and then he'll be in the pocket and see 20 yards of green grass and he'll turn it into a 30 yard gain. Lot's of teams spied Jalen, but they won't be able to do that with Tua or he'll just pass 'em to death.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

LOL - you're right it was probably Hollingsworth. That team had some decent players who were still pretty slow. From that same time I recall Lee Ozmit (sp) either intercepting a 2 point conversion or catching a blocked extra point in the end zone and returning it all the way for 2 points at legion field. I'm still not sure how he made it all the way, as it seemed to be the slowest ever 100 yd dash. I thought at the time that I could have started and finished my hotdog just during that play...
Yes, Hollingsworth had cement in his shoes. On top of that, he was also our most slender QB in my lifetime. Dude was tough, as I recall, and could take a lick, but you worried he's break because he was so slim.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

I remember Hollingsworth torching Ole Siss for 63 points after being down 28-0

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I was just focusing on his ability to run when needed, not as a scrambler or on a designed run. But the point was he wasn't bad at it and "good" just seemed like an appropriate word. "Efficient" is probably better.

And I agree that Tua's skill set will allow him to be a better scrambler and rusher, a some limited designed runs. But I'll tell you when we'll have some of our biggest plays this years. It'll be when Tua's been torching a secondary and then he'll be in the pocket and see 20 yards of green grass and he'll turn it into a 30 yard gain. Lot's of teams spied Jalen, but they won't be able to do that with Tua or he'll just pass 'em to death.
Or when Tua is torching the secondary and we hand-off to Damien or Najee. The running lanes are going to be massive when the defense does not have 8 or 9 guys in the box.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I'm trying to remember who our OC was then. I want to say Homer Smith, but I thought that was a little later after Hollingsworth. But that was a fun offense to watch. It was the first time in my memory of watching Bama football that we used passing as a true weapon.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Your memory failed you a little (it is ok we cannot all be Selma). We were down 21-0 and scored 62 unanswered points. We ended up winning 62-27. Ole miss got a garbage TD at the end.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

Your memory failed you a little (it is ok we cannot all be Selma). We were down 21-0 and scored 62 unanswered points. We ended up winning 62-27. Ole miss got a garbage TD at the end.
It's been a long time ago.................of course, I won 100 bucks off that game

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.