Alabama QB competition article

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Re: Alabama QB competition article (ALL QB posts here, please)

So barring injury, I think it will be crystal clear after the next scrimmage who the QB is going to be, unless WL and others are dead wrong (yeah, no).
No one knows what JH is going to do, but I have a question:
Since he came to Bama, his passing ability has been a known deficiency; despite all manner of off-season QB camps and assistance from professionals, it hasn’t gotten any better (and may be getting worse) so my question is:
Has it ever worked? Has their ever been (anywhere) a situation like this with an athlete coming out of high school with similar skills (and deficiency) and all assistance brought in to remedy the passing issues failed?
I cannot recall recall anyone similar to JH’s pros and cons at all...Selma?
Not DP - his issue, IIRC, was accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

He definitely over states how easy some throws are but it really does show how JH missed some WIDE open TDs in almost every game. At times WRs dropped balls they shouldn't but mostly because they were bad throws and thrown reallllllly late.

The 2 biggest things that stood out to me (not finished yet only on A&M game) were how the OL and Daboll probably deserve more credit than they received last year.
What I learned most from the video is how patient Calvin Ridley is.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Wow! That was interesting. Also, I just had to go measure my hand size. 9 inches. Can't believe Fromm's is only 8 3/4 inches. Tua's
10 1/2 is big. What is Jalen Hurts' hand size?

This just makes me want to grab a football even after 7 or so decades.
Probably the largest hands of any QB I have ever seen in my lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

He definitely over states how easy some throws are but it really does show how JH missed some WIDE open TDs in almost every game. At times WRs dropped balls they shouldn't but mostly because they were bad throws and thrown reallllllly late.

The 2 biggest things that stood out to me (not finished yet only on A&M game) were how the OL and Daboll probably deserve more credit than they received last year.
Amen to this. Lots of folks acted like Daboll called a different set of plays for jalen V tua, or that for some reason the OL didn't block for Jalen. I don't think either are true. Jalen just didn't make the reads that were there for open receivers or for receivers who were breaking open. They were there ALL YEAR, but jalen didn't see them. Same for the OL. Jalen scrambled way, way earlier than he needed to, making the OL looks worse than it was.

Lassr4Bama

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Hazel Green, AL

Saw this today:
First scrimmage is in the books. Tua passed for 4 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. Jalen has 0 touchdowns and 2 interceptions.

Former player tweeted this out (Will Lowery): "Disclaimer: this is the first scrimmage of camp, and the only practice I've seen. But from what I watched today, I'll be shocked if Tua isn't day 1 starter, and it isn't close. Don't expect an announcement prior to opening kickoff tho.."
uh, I see someone linked the article several pages back. Doh!

buzzman

3rd Team
Jan 18, 2014
Madison, AL

This video is hilarious! It kind of validates what my AU coworker has been saying...he's a running back playing QB.

pastorbt

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 9, 2017

That video was painful to watch...then infuriating....then dumbfounding....with the plays back to back to back to back Jalen's lack of passing skill is....well...painful to watch. I often got frustrated with him during the season, but we were winning. So I really didn't analyze him that closely. But goodness!!!! We sure made an opposing DC's job easy.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

SIAP but I had never heard this before. Wow, Tua went 54 for 58 against our D in practice before the playoffs.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/ https://twitter.com/LandonBeamon11/status/1028643918886449153?s=19

Oh and here is the video

Welp, just when I thought I couldn't be more excited about Tua then we learn last year Tua goes 54 of 58 against our defense!!!

I guess the most surprising thing at this point is how Jalen is still sharing snaps with Tua with all the evidence that Tua's just light years ahead of Jalen.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Amen to this. Lots of folks acted like Daboll called a different set of plays for jalen V tua, or that for some reason the OL didn't block for Jalen. I don't think either are true. Jalen just didn't make the reads that were there for open receivers or for receivers who were breaking open. They were there ALL YEAR, but jalen didn't see them. Same for the OL. Jalen scrambled way, way earlier than he needed to, making the OL looks worse than it was.
Yah, there were only a few of us that didn't want to run Daboll out of the stadium last season - he was calling plays with both hands tied behind his back. Just look at how effective his offense was when Bama had a QB back there that could distribute the ball - it was fantastic.

If Tua had started against UGA the game likely would have been over in the third quarter.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I've got the cart WAAAAY before the horse right now, but I'm becoming more and more confident Tua is going to be our next Snake and/or Broadway Joe.

There's a reason, despite not even being named the starter on his own team just yet, that he's been named the favorite to win the Heisman. Right now, the greatest hindrance to winning it is probably his own running back core and the fact he won't have to throw for 400 yards a game for us to dominate.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Yah, there were only a few of us that didn't want to run Daboll out of the stadium last season - he was calling plays with both hands tied behind his back. Just look at how effective his offense was when Bama had a QB back there that could distribute the ball - it was fantastic.

If Tua had started against UGA the game likely would have been over in the third quarter.
And in some of these clips of Jalen missing open WRs you can see that there was scheme involved in getting them open. And often they didn't seem like all that difficult of reads (sometimes I think Jalen would make the right read but just not throw it).

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

SIAP but I had never heard this before. Wow, Tua went 54 for 58 against our D in practice before the playoffs.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/ https://twitter.com/LandonBeamon11/status/1028643918886449153?s=19

Oh and here is the video

This would explain why there was talk of the team being so frustrated at halftime, too. If Tua did that during practice, they clearly would have confidence in him to make the plays against Georgia.

Imagine the WRs' frustration. Going from Tua being 54-58 in practice to this:

I'm thrilled to have Enos on staff and am not sure if he comes to Tuscaloosa if Daboll is still here. But there was a reason Daboll left. He knew what the offense could be with Tua, and he wasn't completely sure Tua would be the starter this year.

Can see why he also would have had plenty of frustrations with the way the offense went in 2017.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al

And in some of these clips of Jalen missing open WRs you can see that there was scheme involved in getting them open. And often they didn't seem like all that difficult of reads (sometimes I think Jalen would make the right read but just not throw it).
I saw that more than once as well. After watching that video all I can do is shake my head and say i'm a believer.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

My thought has been how in the world did CNS manage to get through that without losing it! He was enormously patient with JH through all of last season. No one could ever say that Jalen didn't get all of the reps and opportunities to develop into a more complete QB.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

This would explain why there was talk of the team being so frustrated at halftime, too. If Tua did that during practice, they clearly would have confidence in him to make the plays against Georgia.

Imagine the WRs' frustration. Going from Tua being 54-58 in practice to this:

I'm thrilled to have Enos on staff and am not sure if he comes to Tuscaloosa if Daboll is still here. But there was a reason Daboll left. He knew what the offense could be with Tua, and he wasn't completely sure Tua would be the starter this year.

Can see why he also would have had plenty of frustrations with the way the offense went in 2017.
Tua went 54 or 58 leading up to the playoff ………. yet Coach would not put Tua in until the third quarter? That makes me wonder about our HC.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.