Alabama QB competition article - Page 141
Page 141 of 314 FirstFirst ... 4191131134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148151191241 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,833 of 4079
  1. #1821
    BamaNation Second Team bamaltc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Florence, AL
    Posts
    138

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    JMHO, but I think it would be a huge risk to not start Tua against Louisville, especially considering the near revolt within the team last year. Some of the team really wanted to see Tua at QB, and they finally got their wish. To retreat from that has a high risk of back firing.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #1822
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Arlington, Tx
    Posts
    1,391

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Basically. I just hope it doesn't take 4 games. At the very very least I hope we have named Tua starter by the A&M game.

    I still think there is a shot Tua is the starter before the Louisville game or maybe by the end of that game. But that's just because I think there is a clear gap between Tua and Jalen.

    The reason I think there is a shot Tua is starter before the game is because CNS has never been in this situation. The argument for a competition seems to be "that's how he has always done it" but that's what people said about starting Jalen and benching Jalen for Tua too. Saban had never done those things because he had never been in those situations not because he has one way of doing things. I realize I could be completely off though.
    If you were Tua, after doing what he did in the NCG, and knowing how he performed in practices (according to reports), and it took Coach 4 games to decide, would you not be tempted to go ahead and make that decision easy on him by leaving yourself? I might do that in his shoes. You know what he can and can't do. You also know by now what Jalen can and can't do. If I am Tua, and you can't show me that you want me to be your QB, I go to someone who will want me in that spot (namely, any other team in college football). And to be frank, I would likely do the exact same thing if I were Jalen, but would have less options of places to go. Jalen's resume is all there. Saban has to know whether that is or is not what he wants out of that position. Playing the two against each other might work to our detriment.

  4. #1823
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    9,931

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by RedWave View Post
    If you were Tua, after doing what he did in the NCG, and knowing how he performed in practices (according to reports), and it took Coach 4 games to decide, would you not be tempted to go ahead and make that decision easy on him by leaving yourself? I might do that in his shoes. You know what he can and can't do. You also know by now what Jalen can and can't do. If I am Tua, and you can't show me that you want me to be your QB, I go to someone who will want me in that spot (namely, any other team in college football). And to be frank, I would likely do the exact same thing if I were Jalen, but would have less options of places to go. Jalen's resume is all there. Saban has to know whether that is or is not what he wants out of that position. Playing the two against each other might work to our detriment.
    Don't think that will happen. Family didn't move down here just for him to transfer.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

  5. #1824
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    9,931

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by RedWave View Post
    If you were Tua, after doing what he did in the NCG, and knowing how he performed in practices (according to reports), and it took Coach 4 games to decide, would you not be tempted to go ahead and make that decision easy on him by leaving yourself? I might do that in his shoes. You know what he can and can't do. You also know by now what Jalen can and can't do. If I am Tua, and you can't show me that you want me to be your QB, I go to someone who will want me in that spot (namely, any other team in college football). And to be frank, I would likely do the exact same thing if I were Jalen, but would have less options of places to go. Jalen's resume is all there. Saban has to know whether that is or is not what he wants out of that position. Playing the two against each other might work to our detriment.
    Didn't hurt us in the past.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

  6. #1825
    BamaNation All-American tusks_n_raider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,296

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    It's not going to play out over the 1st 4 games.....that just won't happen.

    If it's still a competition for that long I'll eat my 2017 NC Hat with a bottle of A1 sauce.

    It's going to be over in early August. We won't ever hear that officially and a starter won't be named before the Louisville game. CNS isn't going to tip his hand.

    If Tua doesn't start Game 1 I will be completely stunned. If it's not clear by game 2-3 that he's QB1..... again I'll eat a hat.

    *Disclaimer* this is barring anything like an Injury situation.

  7. #1826
    BamaNation Hall of Fame KrAzY3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,111

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    At this point I think people are basically making things up to worry about.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

  8. #1827
    BamaNation All-SEC PA Tide Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    1,843

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    Don't think that will happen. Family didn't move down here just for him to transfer.
    Since Tua did talk about transferring if I was coach I wouldn't want to test him to see if he was bluffing. Tua and family probably thought it would be easier winning the starting job than it's turned out to be. If he doesn't start the opener it's like coach saying "I know you won us a championship Tua but I still don't trust you full time at QB." Obviously Tua and family would not be happy. It wouldn't matter if both guys would stay but in this situation a decision has to be made about which guy we want leading the team the next two seasons and which guy we're willing to give up. I don't think either player is willing to compromise.

  9. #1828
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    9,931

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by tusks_n_raider View Post
    It's not going to play out over the 1st 4 games.....that just won't happen.

    If it's still a competition for that long I'll eat my 2017 NC Hat with a bottle of A1 sauce.

    It's going to be over in early August. We won't ever hear that officially and a starter won't be named before the Louisville game. CNS isn't going to tip his hand.

    If Tua doesn't start Game 1 I will be completely stunned. If it's not clear by game 2-3 that he's QB1..... again I'll eat a hat.

    *Disclaimer* this is barring anything like an Injury situation.
    Disagree: Saban will try and do it as long as he see fit. Look at his track record starting with AJ McCarron. Someone has to win the team over. Maybe it'll end in August.. maybe not.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

  10. #1829
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3,158

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    I highly doubt CNS lets it get to a point where Tua transfers.

  11. #1830
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    9,931

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by PA Tide Fan View Post
    Since Tua did talk about transferring if I was coach I wouldn't want to test him to see if he was bluffing. Tua and family probably thought it would be easier winning the starting job than it's turned out to be. If he doesn't start the opener it's like coach saying "I know you won us a championship Tua but I still don't trust you full time at QB." Obviously Tua and family would not be happy. It wouldn't matter if both guys would stay but in this situation a decision has to be made about which guy we want leading the team the next two seasons and which guy we're willing to give up. I don't think either player is willing to compromise.
    Kinda wanted to touch on that alittle. That transfer interview was taken out of context. That was already explained. Several Bama players over the years thought about transferring from Alabama, but didn't. Henry, Evans, and others. I don't see nothing in which Tua's situation was different from others. 2. Last year, It was known Tua was turning over the ball in the practices and got better throughout the year. Tua has to show that he has improved a lot on ball security and better decision making and he has a chance to do that in the fall. Saban doesn't promise players that they will start. he promised them competition and that's what Tua will get.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

  12. #1831
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3,158

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    Kinda wanted to touch on that alittle. That transfer interview was taken out of context. That was already explained. Several Bama players over the years thought about transferring from Alabama, but didn't. Henry, Evans, and others. I don't see nothing in which Tua's situation was different from others. 2. Last year, It was known Tua was turning over the ball in the practices and got better throughout the year. Tua has to show that he has improved a lot on ball security and better decision making and he has a chance to do that in the fall. Saban doesn't promise players that they will start. he promised them competition and that's what Tua will get.
    Is this true? I had hear people mention he may turn the ball over more than Jalen but did he turn it over a lot in practice?

    It also sounded like he was really shining leading up to the playoffs in practice IIRC.

  13. #1832
    BamaNation All-American tusks_n_raider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,296

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    Disagree: Saban will try and do it as long as he see fit. Look at his track record starting with AJ McCarron. Someone has to win the team over. Maybe it'll end in August.. maybe not.
    I agree.... and it happened already in Dec-Jan.

  14. #1833
    BamaNation All-American CaliforniaTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    3,471

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    Disagree: Saban will try and do it as long as he see fit. Look at his track record starting with AJ McCarron. Someone has to win the team over. Maybe it'll end in August.. maybe not.
    I no longer remember who Jake Coker was competing against, but CNS let that competition go until the Ole Miss game to decide who would be the starter for the season.
    It's the edge of the world
    And all of Western civilization
    The sun may rise in the East
    At least it settles in its final location
    It's understood that Hollywood
    Sells Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers in Californication

    Look at that dude go all Dareus on that colt...

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!