Alabama QB competition article

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Re: Alabama QB competition article (ALL QB posts here, please)

I don't understand it. I really don't. This is major college football so it seems kind of silly even saying it but some folks are sympathetic to Jalen's feelings, but what about Tua. I wonder how he feels when he proves over and over how much better he is, and you still have the head coach basically saying it doesn't matter and won't affect the almighty "competition".

There were the regular season games last year where Tua looked very good. Sometimes the offense would be struggling to move the ball, though comfortably enough ahead that he came into the game, and immediately the offense improved. Same offensive players, same defensive players, and we got better just because he's in the game.

He played and practiced well enough that the offensive coordinator wanted to play him at least by the Auburn game, but Saban nixed that.

Travis Reier and other accounts say Tua was "lighting up" our vaunted defense most of last year in practice.

Now you have this report that Tua was nearly perfect in practices leading up to the playoffs when Jalen was out, but still Jalen started. Not until the offense played horribly in the UGA game, and behind 13-0 at the half did Tua finally get a chance. Won the game, but afterwards we were informed that in spite of the fact that Tua keeps proving he's better, there will still be a qb competition.

Spring practice, Hurts continues to struggle. In the spring game, Mac Jones plays better. Saban informs us it didn't matter.

Fall scrimmage, Tua throws 3 tds, runs for another, and Hurts is 0 tds and 3 interceptions. Still dosen't matter and won't decide this "competition".

I mean, what does Tagovailoa have to do? How bad and how long can Hurts continue to struggle but still not only hang in this thing, but continue to be first in the drills and scrimmages, and just watch, he'll start the Louisville game.

This is the weirdest situation of the Saban era. Just strange.

Last edited:

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

I don't understand it. I really don't. This is major college football so it seems kind of silly even saying it but some folks are sympathetic to Jalen's feelings, but what about Tua. I wonder how he feels when he proves over and over how much better he is, and you still have the head coach basically saying it doesn't matter and won't affect the god almighty "competition.

There were the regular season games last year where Tua looked very good. Sometimes the offense would be struggling to move the ball, though comfortably enough ahead that he came into the game, and immediately the offense improved. Same offensive players, same defensive players, and we got better just because he's in the game.

He played and practiced well enough that the offensive coordinator wanted to play him at least by the Auburn game, but Saban nixed that.

Travis Reier and other accounts say Tua was "lighting up" our vaunted defense most of last year in practice.

Now you have this report that Tua was nearly perfect in practices leading up to the playoffs when Jalen was out, but still Jalen started. Not until the offense played horribly in the UGA game, and behind 13-0 at the half did Tua finally get a chance. Won the game, but afterwards we were informed that in spite of the fact that Tua keeps proving he's better, there will still be a qb competition.

Spring practice, Hurts continues to struggle. In the spring game, Mac Jones plays better. Saban informs us it didn't matter.

Fall scrimmage, Tua throws 3 tds, runs for another, and Hurts is 0 tds and 3 interceptions. Still dosen't matter and won't decide this "competition".

I mean, what does Tagovailoa have to do? How bad and how long can Hurts continue to struggle but still not only hang in this thing, but continue to be first in the drills and scrimmages, and just watch, he'll start the Louisville game.

Right now, I think that's just the public perception CNS is giving to everyone. If he truly means that internal competition will prove who should start, then Tua should rest in knowing that he'll be the starter when the season starts. It really isn't any different when we've had QB competitions previously.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Right now, I think that's just the public perception CNS is giving to everyone. If he truly means that internal competition will prove who should start, then Tua should rest in knowing that he'll be the starter when the season starts. It really isn't any different when we've had QB competitions previously.
I have no inside info or anything but I have a feeling that the people inside the program know its Tua's job.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I don't understand it. I really don't. This is major college football so it seems kind of silly even saying it but some folks are sympathetic to Jalen's feelings, but what about Tua. I wonder how he feels when he proves over and over how much better he is, and you still have the head coach basically saying it doesn't matter and won't affect the almighty "competition.

You know, I think I agree.

Jalen's "ability" to play so poorly all the way back to midseason last year, but still hold on to his job may be the reason he seemed dumbfounded that CNS has remained "quiet" to him. It makes me wonder if Jalen started to believe he could hold the position with seniority rather than superiority.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012

Tua went 54 or 58 leading up to the playoff ………. yet Coach would not put Tua in until the third quarter? That makes me wonder about our HC.
I just think Coach was stuck to Jalen kind of like how Urban Meyer was stuck to JT although Haskins may have been better but because JT was so accomplished and was a great leader, he wanted to reward JT.

Last edited:

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

I have no inside info or anything but I have a feeling that the people inside the program know its Tua's job.
I have no inside info either. But, logically to me, CNS has to be aware that he almost lost portions of his team last year over this battle. He's also aware that it would be better that he is able to keep Tua and Hurts on the team at least for this season in case of injury (particularly in light of how quickly Tua got hurt at the start of spring practice). He's respecting Hurts stated desire to graduate in December, which would allow him to grad transfer with 2 years to play 2 seasons (assuming he doesn't play in more than 4 games during this upcoming season). Finally, Hurts is clearly in a competition that has taken away his greatest on-field ability, and where he has to show vast improvements in the weakest part of his game. So, taking all of that into consideration, I just feel Tua will win out and be rewarded for it. As for "winning the team", well if they're all behind Tua anyways, then it'll show up in practice.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Tua went 54 or 58 leading up to the playoff ………. yet Coach would not put Tua in until the third quarter? That makes me wonder about our HC.
Despite the reputation that the media has built over the years, Coach Saban is loyal to his players and wants the best for them. I imagine he sees them as his own sons. He has been very patient with Jalen. In the end, as in the beginning of this season, I expect the right decision will have long since been made.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

the other day some football guru was talking on the radio (can't remember which one, but a well known one) and he talked about stats that don't exist but are really important in evaluating a QB.

he used Alex Smith as an example of how QBs are evaluated not only on the throws they make but also on the ones they don't make...as in passes they should have attempted but didn't.

he was saying that the biggest knock on Smith is that he is often too cautious and as a result fails to attempt passes he should attempt.

i think there is some of that in Jalen, although he seems to have more problems than that alone.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

FIFTY FOUR OF FIFTY EIGHT against Bama's D? 93% completion rate?

I'm still gobsmacked over here... gonna take me few more minutes to process that one...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

I'm still gobsmacked over here... gonna take me few more minutes to process that one...
I remember hearing rumors about the ball never hitting the ground but I thought that was simply hyperbole. Clearly, it wasn't. Kid is clearly special.

Also, this is jumping wayyyy ahead but can you imagine if he turns out to be as good as we all think and actually plays for 3 years not 2.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I don't know if this is rumor mill material that should be deleted but I have a good reckon that Mr. John Doe on YouTube is Kenny Bell.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

yep - with with Minkah, harrison, averett all being high draft picks and looking like early starters/contributors in the NFL, oh, and Evans, and Payne, and hand, and even wallace and brown getting NFL shots. That's just the guys who are gone to the league now. Don't bother with Thompson, Lewis, Miller, Kwon, Buggs and Mack who are looking pretty likely to get paid in the next draft.

Given that completion rate, had we NOT pulled Jalen, and if Tua is not the starter, I expect we'll see a LOT of WRs start to bail on the program. Why would a WR waste a year of eligibility to have the ball not thrown to him when he's WIDE open. I'd tell coach to either redshirt me or I transfer. No way I'd go through something like the 2017 season again knowing how much different it could easily be.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I went back and watched John Doe's video again and paid closer attention to the plays featuring Tua. When you get the camera angle from behind the QB on these plays, especially when he does it in slow motion, you are able to get a glimpse of what Tua is processing and it will blow your mind. The kid sees what is going to happen before it ever happens. I think he knows before the ball is snapped a lot of times, that this WR is going to cause this DB to do this, and he's going to be open at precisely this time.

buzzman

3rd Team
Jan 18, 2014
Madison, AL

From what I saw in the spring game I would say that Jalen is significantly worse than Mac Jones in the passing game. I could see this being a competition for #2. Put Jalen in a spread based running offense or a wishbone/veer and he could maybe excel over the others.

93% completion rate is crazy considering the receiver will just drop one occasionally.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006

I watched the ESPN thing last night and there was something that stuck out to me. Tua, speaking of Dan Enos, says that Jalen has never had a strictly QB coach. They go to Jalen who says that Enos is saying things he’s never heard of but he’s had all these other coaches and the positive of it is that he can pull something from each one. It makes me think that some of Jalen’s issues with the passing game come from the fact that he’s never had a real QB coach. Tua has been with the Elite 11 stuff and if I’m not mistaken was coached by June Jones?

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012

From what I saw in the spring game I would say that Jalen is significantly worse than Mac Jones in the passing game. I could see this being a competition for #2. Put Jalen in a spread based running offense or a wishbone/veer and he could maybe excel over the others.

93% completion rate is crazy considering the receiver will just drop one occasionally.
This is why I’ve said that Lane was the best thing to happen to Jalen. Daboll’s offense was clearly more suited for Tua’s game, and I’m sure Locksley’s offense will be as well. Tua could play in any offense in country from Texas Tech to Georgia Tech due to his elite passing ability and athleticism, Jalen is clearly limited in the passing part so he needs to be in a certain style of offense to succeed, am I making sense?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

I don't know if this is rumor mill material that should be deleted but I have a good reckon that Mr. John Doe on YouTube is Kenny Bell.
I'm sure his interview voice is different but anyone listen to interviews with him and compare the voices?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

He seemed to have a real love for Robert Foster and to a lesser extent Cam Sims at the very least. Two of the older guys that Bell would've known from either being on the team together or from recruiting visits.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.