Alabama QB competition article - Page 142
Page 142 of 155 FirstFirst ... 4292132135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149152 ... LastLast
Results 1,834 to 1,846 of 2010
    BamaNation All-American BamaHoosier's Avatar

Re: Alabama QB competition article

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaTide View Post
    I no longer remember who Jake Coker was competing against, but CNS let that competition go until the Ole Miss game to decide who would be the starter for the season.
    Blake Sims his first year, which he lost despite being favorite of a good chunk of the fan vote. Second year he competed with Cooper Bateman, Alec Morris, and David Cornwell. Jake won after it dragged out to the start of the season, but then was pulled when he started performing less than admirably.

Funny thing is, him getting pulled for CB in the Ole Miss game and then reinserted in hindsight seemed to be what galvanized the team in winning a championship. I'm pretty sure if Tua were benched for Jalen (let's say in the A&M game) and we lost, this board and every other might actually crash from our fan base collectively losing their minds.
    Last edited by BamaHoosier; July 12th, 2018 at 03:49 PM.
    Formerly BamaBomber

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American

This is competition isn't really all that similar to any previous one under CNS. I also find it interesting that Kirk Herbstreit seems convinced Tua is the guy. I don't think that his him simply assuming Tua will win the job based on his own opinion of Tua's abilities. Remember Saban's A-Day comment?

BamaNation All-American

Tua has already won the team and coaches over. The players' unfortunate obvious on-field discontent w/Jalen's passing and run distribution, which we know is only a tip of the iceberg, to the obvious infusion of energy to both the O and D upon Tua's game entrance coupled with his performance only confirmed what they thought - he gives them the best chance to win. The coaches including CNS know, but how can they say it at this point? Frankly, it was a relief to Jalen when he was lifted - though he's not going to give up, nor should he.

But because of the way Spring worked out with the injury, he may not be the starter coming into Aug. But unless he has fallen apart or hasn't recovered from the injury, he should quickly reestablish his superiority. CNS's desire to reemphasize the pro-style approach, without totally abandoning RPOs, the hiring of Dan Enos, CNS's constant, from CMA forward, desire to throw the ball downfield, to the obvious benefit Tua is to the running game, to CNS's stated desire for the QB to be a point guard/ball distributor, to the last 5 pass-first type QBs Bama has recruited from Tua, MJ, Tulia, Tyson, Hatcher, all scream that Tua will be the starter soon. CNS is understandably and IMO rightly giving his 26-2 starter who is a great kid, great competitor and hard worker, he is giving him every opportunity to make his case. But it looks like he has no chance unless Tua has imploded, which is more unlikely than Mt. St. Helens erupting before the first game.
    Last edited by BamaInBham; July 12th, 2018 at 03:59 PM.

BamaNation All-American tusks_n_raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    This is competition isn't really all that similar to any previous one under CNS. I also find it interesting that Kirk Herbstreit seems convinced Tua is the guy. I don't think that his him simply assuming Tua will win the job based on his own opinion of Tua's abilities. Remember Saban's A-Day comment?
    I do but somehow in 3 months others have forgotten. Here's a reminder...

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...41huo3kgkz1nqm

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by tusks_n_raider View Post
    I do but somehow in 3 months others have forgotten. Here's a reminder...

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...41huo3kgkz1nqm
    I always found it funny that he referred to Jones as the 3rd team QB but says "we don't have a depth chart."

BamaNation Hall of Fame colbysullivan's Avatar

If Jalen is the starter for the Louisville game, then something is VERY wrong.

The difference in this year vs 2016 is we had not seen Barnett or Jalen take real snaps yet, so they were both going to play. We have seen Tua and Jalen take real snaps, and Ray Charles could see one is better than the other...

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    If Jalen is a better QB than Tua I will give up football. Maybe me and Herbstreit can hang out together.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    If Jalen is a better QB than Tua I will give up football. Maybe me and Herbstreit can hang out together.
    The offensive coordinator of last year's team might want to join you guys hanging out

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

Jalen had a golden opportunity to take control in the spring. Tua was out with the injury so Jalen had to know that A-day was his best chance to shine. He failed and we saw the same Jalen from the last two years. I guess I don't understand what else anyone needs to see.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

We cannot count on A day game....
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    I agree, but he looked pretty bad. IMO.

He did look bad but so did the o line he was running for his life on several passing plays but I'm with most of you here I believe Tua is the choice and my opinion doesn't just come from the championship game, the vandy and vols game stand out to me as well

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    We can count on all the games vs good defenses when he struggled for 2 years.