Alabama QB competition article

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Re: Alabama QB competition article (ALL QB posts here, please)

"Ruggs over there building a campfire right now"

lol. This video is hilarious. Although it does make me realize that I've given Jalen more credit than he likely deserved. Still have a lot of respect for him but I feel worse for our receivers and running backs. Hopefully this season starts correcting that.
I feel the same way lol, it’s an eye opener, I’ve been drinking the Hurts Kool-Aid since 2016 but the tape doesn’t lie. Hurts cost Sims and Foster a lot of yards...and money.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN

I don’t think there will be any uncertainty internally with what’s going to happen with Jalen before the season starts. I think we are seeing already how it’s going to go. I think CNS will have the talk with Jalen and his role will be known before the first whistle blows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buzzman

3rd Team
Jan 18, 2014
Madison, AL

Well, Jalen wanted coach to talk to him so the conversation at this point probably needs to be "Jalen, do you want to play in four games or less this year so you can redshirt OR are you committed to staying at Alabama for the rest of your career?"

I think I know the answer Jalen will give, but right now, it sounds like the conversation he wanted to have about being the starter has been eclipsed by his play on the field.
Exactly. I think at this point if he doesn't get the starting job he has two options, 1) spend this redshirt year working on his passing fundamentals and move on or 2) spend this year on changing positions. The reality is that there is a very limited chance he can improve his throwing ability in order to be a pro QB. Blake Sims was a similar but better passing QB and he didn't stick in the NFL. Jake Coker had a bigger arm, better size and better down field passing and he didn't make the NFL. I've always thought that if you can't make the team you are on how are you going to make the NFL where the top in the entire country go.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

FIFTY FOUR OF FIFTY EIGHT against Bama's D? 93% completion rate?

I'm still gobsmacked over here... gonna take me few more minutes to process that one...
Those are some lofty stats. When Tua came into the Ga. game, it seemed to me the whole team perked up some. Our Defense got tougher, our Running Backs were quicker off the line, and all of our receivers just knew that Tua could get them the ball.
And... They may never admit it, but our Assistant Coaches knew that Tua could win the game.
My final thought on the matter, is that somewhere back in Alabama, Gus let out a sigh of relief, that Tua didn't play against Auburn.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

LOOK AT THAT LASER! LOOK AT THAT LASER - BOW!

Man, this guy is hilarious. It's sucks that's it about the Bama QB and it's so, well, depressing, but man, he is funny.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Y'all don't need to go watch his first video, which was done some time after the Florida State game last year in critique of the 2016 season. You will become even more frustrated.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

LOOK AT THAT LASER! LOOK AT THAT LASER - BOW!

Man, this guy is hilarious. It's sucks that's it about the Bama QB and it's so, well, depressing, but man, he is funny.
Where is this video?

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012

It’s like we had a triple option QB in a pro style/spread offense for the past two years...

I can stress enough how eye opening that video is, and I hate it had to be about Jalen.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

Where is this video?
What CA says above. Some context. The same guy made a video just after the Florida State game in September of 2017 saying he wasn't the answer at QB. Then he followed that up just now with another video critiquing the whole season of play.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

And... Somewhere on a beach in Florida... Lane Kiffin is smacking his head, and saying man what I wouldn't give to have had Tua.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

And... Somewhere on a beach in Florida... Lane Kiffin is smacking his head, and saying man what I wouldn't give to have had Tua.
I think we realize even more now in hindsight what a genius offensive mind Kiffin really is. The verdict is still out on his HC abilities and his "second chance change" but nobody can question he's brilliant as an offensive playcaller and stategist.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch

We all love Jalen's legs, leadership, unflappability, lack of mistakes, and just plain winning.

But it was pretty obvious that the jet sweeps in his first season padded his passing numbers to a deceptive degree, but you can bet that DC's were not deceived. You load the box and ignore his throws.

The final straw for me has been the success of Robert Foster and Cam Sims at the next level. I understand there have been injuries etc but I feel like they never really got their chance because Jalen glanced at Ridley and then bailed.

With the receivers we have, IMO the most exceptional set of WRs in all of college football, we need a passer, even if he makes more mistakes.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

We all love Jalen's legs, leadership, unflappability, lack of mistakes, and just plain winning.

But it was pretty obvious that the jet sweeps in his first season padded his passing numbers to a deceptive degree, but you can bet that DC's were not deceived. You load the box and ignore his throws.

The final straw for me has been the success of Robert Foster and Cam Sims at the next level. I understand there have been injuries etc but I feel like they never really got their chance because Jalen glanced at Ridley and then bailed.

With the receivers we have, IMO the most exceptional set of WRs in all of college football, we need a passer, even if he makes more mistakes.
The jet sweeps didn't just pad his stats - they forced the defense to play from sideline to sideline. The bubble screens did the same thing. When Daboll eliminated those things he made defending your offense with Jalen much easier than it was in 2016.

As much as I liked Daboll, he wanted Tua to play and called plays for Tua when he had Jalen in there. Daboll never let Jalen's limitations effect his play calling. That, my friends, was stupid. But if Daboll had Tua as his starter all season, you would have broken all kinds of Alabama offensive records last year.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

The jet sweeps didn't just pad his stats - they forced the defense to play from sideline to sideline. The bubble screens did the same thing. When Daboll eliminated those things he made defending your offense with Jalen much easier than it was in 2016.

As much as I liked Daboll, he wanted Tua to play and called plays for Tua when he had Jalen in there. Daboll never let Jalen's limitations effect his play calling. That, my friends, was stupid. But if Daboll had Tua as his starter all season, you would have broken all kinds of Alabama offensive records last year.
True, but even midway through the 2016 campaign, the jet sweeps got WAY less effective because DCs knew they could key on that and not have to have to defend the deep parts of the field. They could defend "edge in" with 7-8 in the box and one other deep player keying on the edge as read #1 instead of having to worry about other aspects of the offense.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Can't link it, too much language, but it's titled 'Jalen Hurts Vs Tua Tagovailoa (Season 2) Game Over' on youtube.
Thank you. I am only a couple minutes in and WOW.

I have said it before about 2016. The NOTs masked a lot of our problems with him and the offense as well.

Last edited:

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL

Just a few unconnected random thoughts on the QB situation. Disclosure: I've been a Tua fan since I first watched him play and have thought he should be playing since mid season last year. Our wife named a kitten after him, but mis-spelled it and result is Tula which I think is his brother.

Leadership....First of all, I'm not convinced Jalen was the leader he was thought to be, at least last year anyway. The comments (paraphrased) he made that make me think so are when he said "I'm built for this" and I think he once said "this is my team". The players notice this kind of talk to the press and I doubt they are impressed. Also the receiver reactions at times make me think they were very frustrated with him.

On demeanor.....Many times when everyone seemed to see him as calm and collected I would have preferred to see some emotion, maybe get the team fired up.

The competition....... After the championship game when the qb competition was first discussed, Jalen had to know Tua is/was extremely talented and holding his job could be really tough, unless as one poster mentioned he thought he would hold it by seniority, which is what I think. Why else would he choose not to use the summer to get some real professional coaching. Not getting coaching during the summer is my biggest disappointment in Jalen, I just don't understand at all, what in the world was he thinking?? Nuff said I guess on that. I will say I believe no amount of coaching would set him ahead of Tua, but he could have given it his best shot, which I say he did not. To be honest I am not 100% he didn't get coaching, but have seen no discussion saying he did.

My last thought is about the second string qb situation. CNS's obligation is to the team first. If Jalen turns out to be the backup, I think coach plays him anytime it's needed. I don't think coach makes a special arrangement with Jalen to play him only 4 games if he is the backup. Jalen may have to request to not play at all or even leave the team for the year.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Goodness, this video is even more brutal.

I mean, smh...

It's got to be Tua. GOT to be.
That part at the 10 minute spot...um Ruggs was wide open across the whole field. He still missed him at the end when he finally decided to throw to him.

This is brutal, because I like Jalen. But how could it not be Tua??

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Can't link it, too much language, but it's titled 'Jalen Hurts Vs Tua Tagovailoa (Season 2) Game Over' on youtube.
The language was rough, but the analisis was dead on.
I just watched that video three times. Conclusion... Jalen can't throw the ball.
Jalen is a very good athlete, but he can't seem to find receivers.
Jalen locked onto Ridley, and ignored many open receivers.
Jalen ran the ball when he would have been better off giving it to a Running Back.

Coach Saban was reluctant to start Tua, because Jalen is the one who helped get us here.

THAT WAS THEN, AND THIS IS NOW...

The age of Tua has arrived. Tua is a better pure passer, Tua can run, but he prefers to opt by passing the ball down field. Tua spreads the passes around among the receivers.

I believe that Tua has all but locked up the Starting Position, and everyone else is playing for the Second Position.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.