Alabama QB competition article

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Re: Alabama QB competition article (ALL QB posts here, please)

after watching some of that youtube breakdown it's apparent that we literally could have scored 100 points on some teams last year if Tua had been the starter.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Thanks for pointing me toward that video - it was tough to watch. I question my own analysis of Jalen's play having watched that many poor decisions back to back to back. None of the issues brought up in the video came as a surprise to me, but the number of huge plays that Jalen's decision making cost Alabama did. I hope that Jalen figures out what he wants to do with his football talent, because he is playing the wrong position.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Thanks for pointing me toward that video - it was tough to watch. I question my own analysis of Jalen's play having watched that many poor decisions back to back to back. None of the issues brought up in the video came as a surprise to me, but the number of huge plays that Jalen's decision making cost Alabama did. I hope that Jalen figures out what he wants to do with his football talent, because he is playing the wrong position.
Ditto - seeing them put together like that was eye-opening for me, and I was already on the Tua-train. I just didn't realize it was that bad, likely because Bama pounded so many teams last year.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016

The glass half full reaction I have to that video is amazement at the job that the offensive line did opening holes with 8 or even sometimes 9 in the box. The running game was still good even with everyone walked up.

I did have the "you have to laugh so you don't cry" at his comments. I felt bad for the talented receivers that never got a chance to really shine. Foster especially with his injury issues leading up to his senior season.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Going to watch it later, but all of the posts about missed chances makes me question the overall film review. At what point in consistently seeing missed opportunities, does the staff finally say "Is he going to change? Or does he even understand what we're saying to him?"

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Going to watch it later, but all of the posts about missed chances makes me question the overall film review. At what point in consistently seeing missed opportunities, does the staff finally say "Is he going to change? Or does he even understand what we're saying to him?"
Probably resultant from looking back only one game before looking forward to the next. This guy broke down the entire season in one 53 minute video. Also, winning cures all. Saban is not going to be inclined to take chances at a critical position when the team just keeps winning in spite of his weaknesses. But I am totally with the guy who put this together in this - Alabama was blessed to have given up that late TD in the first half to GA. Without that late score, Saban leaves Jalen in the game down only 6-0 and you lose.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I have to admit, I have the same feelings. It's SO BAD. There's ZERO chance Tua couldn't have played better. Literally zero.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I think from Saban's live comment that was picked up during the Spring game, the staff was saying that but we kept winning and nothing was done about it.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

after watching some of that youtube breakdown it's apparent that we literally could have scored 100 points on some teams last year if Tua had been the starter.
Crazy to think. Jalen would have played a half in most games. It just would have been the 2nd half......

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

That's the real question. I'd say that his recent interview would argue for "no"...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I think from Saban's live comment that was picked up during the Spring game, the staff was saying that but we kept winning and nothing was done about it.
Don't get me wrong when I say this because I completely understand the issues in juggling all of the players during the season - while that is the most likely scenario, it also goes against what Saban preaches about doing things the right way and playing to the standard. In return, it has to send a mixed message to the rest of the team (or at least frustrate the heck out of them).

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Don't get me wrong when I say this because I completely understand the issues in juggling all of the players during the season - while that is the most likely scenario, it also goes against what Saban preaches about doing things the right way and playing to the standard. In return, it has to send a mixed message to the rest of the team (or at least frustrate the heck out of them).
This is why I just don't see any other option at this point. Tua has to play, and Jalen has to back up. I do not believe a token start is necessary either. Jalen should not play unless we're blowing out the opponent or God forbid, Tua gets hurt.

It would go against the entire ethos of the Coach Saban process.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

That's the real question. I'd say that his recent interview would argue for "no"...
I'll be careful in saying this, but what was often perceived as a look of "cool, calm and collected" may have been misconstrued as "I don't know what just happened."

As for the staff staying with Jalen (even until now, perception wise), there's a reason we say "hindsight is 20/20." This video collection is rather troubling, but it's the collection of his very worst plays, for the most part. As the staff reviewed each week's game film, they also were seeing some of the positive things he was doing. He did complete some good balls at times. He made game changing runs at times. He was generally safe with the ball. And then there's CNS's overall approach to being conservative and not fixing something that ain't broke attitude.

This video makes it look like an easy choice knowing what we know now - after the NC game last year and Jalen's struggles in the spring and now fall camp.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012

The Florida State, LSU, Clemson and Texas A&M games shouldn't have even been close, even Auburn game should've been a win. The Mississippi State game I understand though because of our LB situation and the fact that State held the ball for so long.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

The Florida State, LSU, Clemson and Texas A&M games shouldn't have even been close, even Auburn game should've been a win. The Mississippi State game I understand though because of our LB situation and the fact that State held the ball for so long.
I would argue that State wouldn’t have held the ball for so long, because we would have made many more first downs. They stacked 8-9 in the box the whole game, essentially saying, “You’re not running. You’ll have to prove you can pass to beat us.”

We couldn’t pass except at the very end. Jalen deserves both credit for the last 3 minutes, and blame for the first 57. That allowed State to make it a lot closer for a lot longer than it had any business being.

Last edited:

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

I'll be careful in saying this, but what was often perceived as a look of "cool, calm and collected" may have been misconstrued as "I don't know what just happened."

As for the staff staying with Jalen (even until now, perception wise), there's a reason we say "hindsight is 20/20." This video collection is rather troubling, but it's the collection of his very worst plays, for the most part. As the staff reviewed each week's game film, they also were seeing some of the positive things he was doing. He did complete some good balls at times. He made game changing runs at times. He was generally safe with the ball. And then there's CNS's overall approach to being conservative and not fixing something that ain't broke attitude.

This video makes it look like an easy choice knowing what we know now - after the NC game last year and Jalen's struggles in the spring and now fall camp.
After watching Jalen for two years and hearing his latest comments I have begun to feel that one reason he appears so calm is that he tends to internalize his feelings to a great degree. I feel concerned for the mental turmoil that he appears to be going through now. We see athletes like Tiger Woods for example, suffer a huge loss of confidence and be forced to battle back for years. For his sake I hope that he finds the right environment to allow him to become the best QB he can become. It will take him some time to recover from being in the constant glare of the spotlight at Alabama. This is all of course IMHO.

Tide99

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017

Entertaining video for sure and it is fair to point out that's a collection of his worst plays but is pretty damning. Forget the video and just look at the stats he mentioned. That's truly Game Over and should end any he led the Tide to a 26-2 record talk.

Ranked Games (1st Year)
Vs #3 USC - 6/11 (118 Yds) 54%
Vs #13 LSU - 10/19 (107 Yds) 52%
Vs #14 Fla - 11/20 (138 Yds) 55%
Vs #4 Wash - 7/14 (57 Yds) 50%
Vs #2 Clem - 13-31 (131 Yds) 41%

Ranked Games (2nd Year)
Vs #3 FSU - 10/18 (96 Yds) 55%
Vs #19 LSU - 11/24 (183 Yds) 45%
Vs #18 Miss St - 10/19 - 52%
Vs #6 Aub - 12/22 (112 Yds) 54%
Vs #1 Clem - 16/24 (120 Yds) 66%
Vs #3 Ga - 3/8 (21 Yds) 37%

Last edited:

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012

Entertaining video for sure and it is fair to point out that's a collection of his worst plays but is pretty damning. Forget the video and just look at the stats he mentioned. That's truly Game Over and should end any he led the Tide to a 26-2 record talk.

Ranked Games (1st Year)Vs #3 USC - 6/11 (118 Yds) 54%Vs #13 LSU - 10/19 (107 Yds) 52%Vs #14 Fla - 11/20 (138 Yds) 55%Vs #4 Wash - 7/14 (57 Yds) 50%Vs #2 Clem - 13-31 (131 Yds) 41%Ranked Games (2nd Year)Vs #3 FSU - 10/18 (96 Yds) 55%Vs #19 LSU - 11/24 (183 Yds) 45%Vs #18 Miss St - 10/19 - 52%Vs #6 Aub - 12/22 (112 Yds) 54%Vs #1 Clem - 16/24 (120 Yds) 66%Vs #3 Ga - 3/8 (21 Yds) 37%
Somebody needs to show Jalen Rose those stats cause he doesn’t understand.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

This is why I just don't see any other option at this point. Tua has to play, and Jalen has to back up. I do not believe a token start is necessary either. Jalen should not play unless we're blowing out the opponent or God forbid, Tua gets hurt.

It would go against the entire ethos of the Coach Saban process.
Truth be told, we've had this before. No way Christion Jones was better than every receiver on the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.