Alabama QB competition article

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Re: Alabama QB competition article (ALL QB posts here, please)

Truth be told, we've had this before. No way Christion Jones was better than every receiver on the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's not a great comparison because he was the third receiving option on those teams and didn't control the game....and I think he was one heckuva blocker.....

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Going to watch it later, but all of the posts about missed chances makes me question the overall film review. At what point in consistently seeing missed opportunities, does the staff finally say "Is he going to change? Or does he even understand what we're saying to him?"
Don't watch it. It's bad. I wasn't going to, but I did, It's beyond frustrating. What makes it worse is this guy is finding the gaping holes in Jalen's game with ESPN FOOTAGE. I mean he's breaking down TV footage and it's mind boggling at the missed opportunities and points left on the field, not to mention conversions and stalled drives. Ugh ugh ugh

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

[URLT][/URLT]
Thanks for pointing me toward that video - it was tough to watch. I question my own analysis of Jalen's play having watched that many poor decisions back to back to back. None of the issues brought up in the video came as a surprise to me, but the number of huge plays that Jalen's decision making cost Alabama did. I hope that Jalen figures out what he wants to do with his football talent, because he is playing the wrong position.
I let my father watch that video, and his first comment was "I'm not surprised"..............And to echo another post, I too am not sure Jalen is the 2nd best QB. He'd probably fare better at another position

Last edited:

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al

I remember hearing rumors about the ball never hitting the ground but I thought that was simply hyperbole. Clearly, it wasn't. Kid is clearly special.

Also, this is jumping wayyyy ahead but can you imagine if he turns out to be as good as we all think and actually plays for 3 years not 2.
UMMMMM Wowza!!!!!!! And RTR

buzzman

3rd Team
Jan 18, 2014
Madison, AL

Entertaining video for sure and it is fair to point out that's a collection of his worst plays but is pretty damning. Forget the video and just look at the stats he mentioned. That's truly Game Over and should end any he led the Tide to a 26-2 record talk.

Ranked Games (1st Year)
Vs #3 USC - 6/11 (118 Yds) 54%
Vs #13 LSU - 10/19 (107 Yds) 52%
Vs #14 Fla - 11/20 (138 Yds) 55%
Vs #4 Wash - 7/14 (57 Yds) 50%
Vs #2 Clem - 13-31 (131 Yds) 41%

Ranked Games (2nd Year)
Vs #3 FSU - 10/18 (96 Yds) 55%
Vs #19 LSU - 11/24 (183 Yds) 45%
Vs #18 Miss St - 10/19 - 52%
Vs #6 Aub - 12/22 (112 Yds) 54%
Vs #1 Clem - 16/24 (120 Yds) 66%
Vs #3 Ga - 3/8 (21 Yds) 37%

Facts are facts...and they don't care how you feel about it. These are HORRIBLE completion percentages. MissSt was an okay team last year but lets be real we should have buried them in the first half.

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al

Facts are facts...and they don't care how you feel about it. These are HORRIBLE completion percentages. MissSt was an okay team last year but lets be real we should have buried them in the first half.
Wow when you see those numbers all at one time on a page its painful to read

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Entertaining video for sure and it is fair to point out that's a collection of his worst plays but is pretty damning. Forget the video and just look at the stats he mentioned. That's truly Game Over and should end any he led the Tide to a 26-2 record talk.

Ranked Games (1st Year)
Vs #3 USC - 6/11 (118 Yds) 54%
Vs #13 LSU - 10/19 (107 Yds) 52%
Vs #14 Fla - 11/20 (138 Yds) 55%
Vs #4 Wash - 7/14 (57 Yds) 50%
Vs #2 Clem - 13-31 (131 Yds) 41%

Ranked Games (2nd Year)
Vs #3 FSU - 10/18 (96 Yds) 55%
Vs #19 LSU - 11/24 (183 Yds) 45%
Vs #18 Miss St - 10/19 - 52%
Vs #6 Aub - 12/22 (112 Yds) 54%
Vs #1 Clem - 16/24 (120 Yds) 66%
Vs #3 Ga - 3/8 (21 Yds) 37%
Some other stats to show how he does against a good defense:

In his two years on campus, Jalen has faced 14 teams with a top 50 passing efficiency defense.

In those games, he averages 12-21, 139 yards, 1.1 TD, .5 INT, and a 122.2 QB Rating.

In the 15 games against weaker pass defenses, he averages 15.1-22.6, 194.3 yards, 1.7 TD, .2 INT, and a 177.5 QB Rating. If we take out the two FCS games (Mercer and UT-Chattanooga, his stats go to 16.7-23.9, 199.9 yards, 1.5 TD, .2 INT, and a 156.3 QB Rating.

His stats are somewhat inflated from those weaker defenses.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012

I was guilty of doing this but it reminds me of the whole Tebowmania stuff in 2011 where people were treating him like a god but he was winning games completing 4 passes and stuff (the exception being the Wild Card game against Pitt). So yeah while he did win 26 games as a starter, the defense bailed him out of a lot of those games.

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL

I looked for YAC stats but i couldn't find any. If that was taken into consideration we would be talking peewee football numbers.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

There's a saying that football people - especially analysts - like to use about quarterbacks: "throwing your receiver(s) open." The thing is, that's technically impossible. If your guy isn't open, no throw you make will make him so. However, what is possible is anticipating the first moment and/or the window in which your guy WILL be open and getting the ball to him in that window. Often, this requires letting go of the ball while your receiver is still covered. While this skill - anticipating when your receiver WILL become open - can be learned some guys just seem to feel it, naturally. It was obvious, early in 2016, that Jalen didn't naturally feel his receivers coming open. However, he obviously had enormous talent, great poise, and natural leadership ability and the hope was that he would develop his skills as a passer.

I'm certain that at least once last season I expressed on this forum my frustration with the offensive coaches because the play-calling was seemingly ignoring Jalen's weaknesses and not adapting, at all, in order to mask those weaknesses while still taking advantage of his strengths. Simple things like narrowing the field with vertically layered route trees, multiple check-downs, etc. - stuff coaches do in high school and college on a regular basis - we never seemed to try with Jalen. The question I always had was "why did the coaches seem so unwilling to change the play-calling?" The obvious, most likely answer is that Jalen was executing those plays well in practice and then struggling in the games and the coaches kept assuming the light bulb would eventually come on during the game for Jalen. Any other answer points to a coaching problem.

Perhaps there was a coaching problem. Perhaps a top-down emphasis was placed on certain aspects of quarterback play that hampered Jalen's development. Perhaps Daboll really wanted Tua to start the whole time and never could win that argument with Saban. We'll probably never know. However, if - as was asserted earlier - it's true that Jalen's never had a true quarterback coach working with him on how to be a QB then maybe Jalen will finally turn the corner and become a great passing quarterback.

However, even if he does the problem then becomes what appears to be the best thing for the team, overall. It's painfully obvious, in hindsight, that at least much of the team and certainly the OC felt more confident in Tua than in Jalen in the Georgia game. It certainly appears as though Tua has a much greater potential as a pure passer than does Jalen. It also almost certainly appears as though Tua's current development as a pure passer is far beyond Jalen's at the moment. At this point, you would assume that there isn't much difference between the two in terms of their knowledge of the playbook. While Jalen has the intangibles you want to see in a QB in spades, e.g., leadership, poise, toughness, etc., those intangibles are what separates quarterbacks when their upside, current development, AND knowledge of the playbook are relatively equal. While Jalen's prowess as a runner is almost certainly better than Tua's, it's not as if Tua is a liability running with the ball in his hands; he's just a slightly lesser strength. So, at this point, even if Jalen is able to turn the corner as a passer this season it's most likely too late for his opportunity as the starting quarterback at Alabama, barring an injury to Tua.

So, in my opinion, no matter how Jalen eventually develops our coaching staff let him down last year by either failing to give him the tools and instruction needed to develop in time for his best opportunity at Alabama or else by failing to give him a proper analysis of his limitations.

Personally, as a Jalen fan and for his sake, I would love to see him turn that corner and become a first-round draft pick in a couple years as a quarterback. Whether that will or even is likely to happen none of us can truly know and it really isn't worthwhile to debate.

Watching that video, I had flashbacks to sitting in the stands, seeing routes develop, yelling "pull the trigger" or "see him" over and over. The weird thing is that I don't really remember doing as often as I actually did. It seems winning does affect my memory and allowed me to gloss over Jalen's shortcomings more than I realized as the season was progressing.

Of course, it's really unfair for me to make any judgments about Tua, Jalen, and our coaching staff's decisions since I have a very limited view and am not a part of our daily practices. However, if just most of what we've heard about practices last year and thus far this offseason are true, then it really should be Tua's job to lose.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

This 2nd video is sooooo BRUTAL. There is so much to unpack here.

One of the 1st things is how EVERY team is playing us with ONE single high safety and stacking the box because they don't respect the pass threat AT ALL. It's amazing Damien had 1,000 yards rushing.

Then you start seeing all the BAD throws. If it's a sideline pass..... forget it....incomplete.....WAY incomplete.

You start to see OL and WR's getting frustrated on plays where he rolls out and gets 0 to negative yards.

He had so much time in the pocket with WR's beating their coverage and he just will not pull the trigger and just scrambles around until the play is dead.

OMG this play at the 10:00 mark. Jeudy AND especially Ruggs III are both WIDE OPEN from the jump and he just looks....and looks...and looks.... and looks.... I'm sitting here screaming at the TV "Throw the damn BALL!!!!"... he finally does and it's late and behind Ruggs III.

There are so many badly thrown balls. They are SKY HIGH..... or low and in the dirt.... or late and behind.....*ugh this is frustrating*

I feel so bad for Calvin....he's having to try and catch all kinds of crazy bad passes when he's WIDE OPEN.

14:45 and Foster is Wide....WIDE OPEN with no one in the Area Code but it's a sideline throw.....so you know it's high and outside and that turns him around and he can't find it.

Might as well forget about the Fade route my goodness. He can't thrown it. Just awful ball placement.

17:30 dear lord busted coverage Ruggs III is WIDE OPEN in the endzone from the jump and he sees him after staring down Calvin but won't throw it. This is the play where Ruggs is building a campfire.....LOL or tears I'm not sure. Calvin was open on the snap too but Jalen didn't throw then either.

Our WR's are getting so much instant separation on a lot of these plays but he won't put it up unless it's SUPER Wide Open and even then he might not.

John Doe making a great point here at the 20:00 mark. Tua makes window throws or Dilfer Dimes.... Jalen won't even attempt something that's not Wide Open. You're not ever going to get a window throw from #2.

Now he's covering the 'panicky' plays that emerged during the LSU game. Here WR's are open but Jalen feels like there is pressure and takes off running even though he SEES a guy Open..... he still rather tuck and run.

29:00 mark against AU 3rd and 5 and Cam Sims runs a slant and is WIDE OPEN but Jalen is staring down Ridley and then takes off running *smh*

35:30 near the end of the AU game 3rd and 22 and Jeudy whips his man and is WIDE OPEN for a TD but Jalen is staring at Calvin who IS open too and the throw is still off the mark...... good grief...

Still 15 mins left to watch but I don't even know what to say at this point. HOW did we not switch to Tua sooner than the 2nd Half of the NCG??

How/WHY is there even a 'Competition' still ongoing for QB1. This thing isn't even CLOSE.

Tua sees a guy get open and gets him the ball. Jalen does not. After watching so many of these plays back to back I question #2's eyesight and I don't say that to be mean..... I legitimately am concerned that he's not seeing the field clearly with so many WR's Open.

As John Doe says "This is Chess not Checkers"..... Tua is the vastly superior QB and it's not even remotely close.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I finally watched the video everyone is talking about. I cannot repeat anything I said while watching it. My language would have made John Doe blush.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

Need a refresher. At the college level, has coach ever replaced an established starter at QB? I don't recall coach ever being confronted with a situation like this. If not that could have had some bearing coach being so reluctant to make the change.

Its obvious by now but we know that coach puts a lot of value in game experience and playing fundamentally sound rather than seniority. Otherwise guys like Henry would have had a bigger role on the team earlier than they did.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012

Need a refresher. At the college level, has coach ever replaced an established starter at QB? I don't recall coach ever being confronted with a situation like this. If not that could have had some bearing coach being so reluctant to make the change.

Its obvious by now but we know that coach puts a lot of value in game experience and playing fundamentally sound rather than seniority. Otherwise guys like Henry would have had a bigger role on the team earlier than they did.

Cardale Jones?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Henry was going to transfer, if he didn't get carries. IF you're talented enough, that works...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

It was obvious from the start that it was only a matter of time. Tua has a golden arm.

I did honestly expect Hurts to improve as a passer. That didn't happen like it needed to happen and Tua stepped up on the biggest stage as a freshman and took the game away from Georgia. Just took it away (with plenty of help).

The past is the past. The future is Tua.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.