Alabama QB competition article - Page 146
Page 146 of 146 FirstFirst ... 4696136139140141142143144145146
Results 1,886 to 1,891 of 1891
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Alabama QB competition article

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    We've got 10 straight days of forecasted highs of over 100 in DFW so I decided to distract myself by going back to watch some of last year's game.

Watched the TAMU game. We had this game won handily with not much of a challenge from the Aggies until our inefficient offense bogged down even worse in the second half. The final score was probably closer than the game really was with us winning 27-19, but we were outscored 16-10 in the last half when A&M punched in a TD with 17 seconds in the game.

Paid close attention to Jalen. This is about the time several started noticing his lack of improvement/growth as a Soph. I must admit he looked a little better than I remember at times. This isn't saying he looked good, but he did have a few nice throws and one time he stepped up in the pocket and completed a 3rd down pass to Ridley. Had another nice pass dropped by Foster.

Except for a couple of big runs by Harris, we didn't run the ball very effectively in this game, which probably didn't help. Jalen was given lots of throwing opportunities, but, except for a few decent balls as noted above he struggled. He missed #1 on a fly route that was one of epic fail. There wasn't a defensive player within 20 yards of Foster. Overall, it was pretty much what we would expect from him in the last 2 years. He mainly targeted Riddley with first reads and he was a weak 13-22 for 123 yards and 1 TD.

One thing I noticed more than ever about Jalen though is he struggled to get the right reads even on the RPO. On several occasions he kept the ball when the RB could have made a huge gain and Jalen was tackled almost immediately. On one fourth down conversion, he tried to pull the ball back from Bo and almost caused a fumble, but Bo held on and converted easily. If Jalen would've pulled the ball back he would have been tackled for loss.

Just on observation, but I think Jalen's field vision limitations weren't just limited to passing, but even the RPO and seeing the right read.
    It may be because of field vision or other reasons, but there is no doubt that he often does not make the right decision.

2. Advertisement

If Tua outperforms Jalen in fall camp how does he not start? My stomach aches to think that wouldn’t be enough.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I've got a bad feeling that Saban is gonna Saban and start Hurts against UL.

Hope like crazy that this doesn't 'age well'...
    Never underestimate Saban's affinity for loyal veterans. We shall see.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Never underestimate Saban's affinity for loyal veterans. We shall see.
    But he also had loyal veterans last year that were totally frustrated with a lack of a proficient offense and played much better when #13 came into the game, so that's obviously important too, not to mention how recruiting skill position players was starting to be affected. The top wide receiver in the state last year wanted no part of it. Saban hasn't suddenly lost his mind. Team chemistry and recruiting are 2 things he thrives on.

Yeah. We're repeating the same things over and over, but folks are just kind of disconcerted about Saban's comments of a competition and the season is drawing nigh. I think it's gonna work out just fine.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson White View Post
    But he also had loyal veterans last year that were totally frustrated with a lack of a proficient offense and played much better when #13 came into the game, so that's obviously important too, not to mention how recruiting skill position players was starting to be affected. The top wide receiver in the state last year wanted no part of it. Saban hasn't suddenly lost his mind. Team chemistry and recruiting are 2 things he thrives on.

Yeah. We're repeating the same things over and over, but folks are just kind of disconcerted about Saban's comments of a competition and the season is drawing nigh. I think it's gonna work out just fine.
    When I was re-watching the TAMU game, I couldn't help but think about how Calvin Ridley must have been so frustrated last year. He got hurt in this game and missed some of the game with an injured knee cap, but he was frustrated for so many other reasons. Hardly anyone could cover him and he could have been an even bigger weapon.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    When I was re-watching the TAMU game, I couldn't help but think about how Calvin Ridley must have been so frustrated last year. He got hurt in this game and missed some of the game with an injured knee cap, but he was frustrated for so many other reasons. Hardly anyone could cover him and he could have been an even bigger weapon.
    Yes, Bama's offense (I don't blame Jalen. Really, I don't even blame the coaches - IMO, circumstances made it understandable.) cost Calvin Ridley many initial millions. Though it may turn out for the best since he is going to a team with a good O and QB. He could have been stuck in many worse places. Hopefully, he makes a killing on his 2nd and 3rd contracts.