Alabama QB competition article

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Re: Alabama QB competition article (ALL QB posts here, please)

That video is harsh, and illustrates why there was reported unrest on this board from our skill players. It begs the question - why so late in making the switch ?

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

Don't get me wrong when I say this because I completely understand the issues in juggling all of the players during the season - while that is the most likely scenario, it also goes against what Saban preaches about doing things the right way and playing to the standard. In return, it has to send a mixed message to the rest of the team (or at least frustrate the heck out of them).
From what I read on here last year, it sounded like it dang near caused a mutiny last season when the clearly better QB was kept on the bench. Just IMO.

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia

I'm surprised that Gary Danielson didn't make more analysis like this guy did in the video. Like someone else stated, this guy saw all of this with ESPN footage. No wonder the team had frustrations. Geez...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Cardale Jones?
He was forced into action by the injury of Miller and Barrett ahead of him. Meyer would never have played him without those injuries.

But Spurrier replaced his QBs all the time. As a former QB, he was not interested in the ego of his QBs. He wanted someone on the field who could perform. Most head coaches do not change QBs for poor performance once they have won the starting job.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

But Spurrier replaced his QBs all the time. As a former QB, he was not interested in the ego of his QBs. He wanted someone on the field who could perform. Most head coaches do not change QBs for poor performance once they have won the starting job.
Yup, and that's what's puzzling to me about this whole situation - we've all heard Saban preach over and over that every position is up for grabs, no one is assumed to be the starter, and the guy who puts the team in the best position to win will play.

No better way to undermine your recruiting prowess than to preach about how everyone competes for playing time then benching the obviously better player. It's not just Bama fans who see this happening.

Last edited:

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

Yup, and that's what's puzzling to me about this whole situation - we've all heard Sbana preach over and over that every position is up for grabs, no one is assumed to be the starter, and the guy who puts the team in the best position to win will play.

No better way to undermine your recruiting prowess than to preach about how everyone competes for playing time then benching the obviously better player. It's not just Bama fans who see this happening.
I was exactly in this position after watching CR run routes all season and be missed on the most basic passes. I felt after the Auburn game that the receivers had to be deeply concerned that they had made a wrong decision coming to Alabama.

Another point was seeing the way the Clemson defense was able to run down Bo continuously on wide plays. It is literally impossible to run on a talented defense that can stack the box and dare JH to beat them over the top. We have done that in spades against LSU's running game.

I did feel that JH would mature and improve tremendously over the off season but unfortunately that is not the case. Difficult to understand but unfortunately it hasn't happened.

Coach Bryant had to change his approach tremendously if we look at the amazing differences in the teams from 1966 to 1978. Change is the one constant in our lives.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch

14:45 and Foster is Wide....WIDE OPEN with no one in the Area Code but it's a sideline throw.....so you know it's high and outside and that turns him around and he can't find it.
I don't think there is a football term for openness of that magnitude. The camera is zoomed out and Foster is the only player in the frame. JK could have punted it more accurately.

I'm considering buying into the conspiracy theory that Daboll was giving Jalen plays that he knew Tua could make.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch

One of Tua's best throws is actually at 47:45. It is zone coverage and the eventual target (Ruggs) is closely double-covered, but when the coverage peels off and hands over to a deeper man, Ruggs is open for a split second and Tua hits him - beautiful. Only Rugg's toe going 1 inch out of bounds prevents a TD right there. Meanwhile Tua was pocket-aware and was moving around helping his protection.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

From what I read on here last year, it sounded like it dang near caused a mutiny last season when the clearly better QB was kept on the bench. Just IMO.
From what I was told, that is exactly what happened and the young WRs were on the verge of leaving.
Yup, and that's what's puzzling to me about this whole situation - we've all heard Saban preach over and over that every position is up for grabs, no one is assumed to be the starter, and the guy who puts the team in the best position to win will play.

As Prof mentioned earlier, Saban is loyal to players (Christion Jones and Trey DePriest being the two best examples). However, the plays Saban tends to be loyal to are the ones entering their third or fourth year in the program. Jalen had been in Tuscaloosa a year. He didn't know the system that much more than Tua, especially since their was a new OC.
I don't think there is a football term for openness of that magnitude. The camera is zoomed out and Foster is the only player in the frame. JK could have punted it more accurately.

I'm considering buying into the conspiracy theory that Daboll was giving Jalen plays that he knew Tua could make.
Or Daboll was running his pro-offense, which is what Jalen and his dad wanted him to learn and why he came to Alabama.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012

I mean he didn't make the switch to Star Jackson or McCarron in 09 when GMAC had that awful stretch, I didn't expect he would've last year, except of course in the Title Game when there was no choice but move on to Tua.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Or Daboll was running his pro-offense, which is what Jalen and his dad wanted him to learn and why he came to Alabama.
I think that this is spot on, but should he have been? Saban picks the starting QB. He picked Jalen. Daboll needed to change his play calls to leverage Jalen's strengths when it became apparent that Jalen simply could not run his offense.

IMO, Daboll, for all his abilities, limited the effectiveness of your offense when Jalen was in there. He wanted Tua to play (and he wasn't wrong), but when the boss makes a call you get behind that call and make it work. Daboll didn't even try to make it work. He kept calling the same plays expecting Jalen to get better and when that didn't happen, Daboll refused to adjust (or simply didn't have the ability to adjust?).

What Jalen or his father wanted should not come into play. You do what is best for the team. You make it work. Daboll didn't even try. We can all fault Kiffin for his idiocy off the field, but he played to the strengths of his players. Daboll didn't even try to do this.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Hurts inability to instill confidence into the WR room is very likely a contributing factor in why Ardarius Stewart left for the NFL and TJ Simmons transferred out. I've heard that Stewart had to kinda make a family decision on his draft declaration but you gotta figure that the unlikelihood of improving on his 2016 numbers only helped his decision to give up a drive for the 1st round money after 2017. TJ Simmons had all those freshmen come in and a QB who wasn't likely to put it in the air much either...kinda makes his decision easy too.

I'll put it this way: we didn't sign 3 1st round quality WRs for the 2017 class to come play with Jalen Hurts; they came to play with their classmate QB signee.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

The thing Saban says about "winning the team" to me really seals it for Tua because so many of the guys we're relying on now as sophomores were mulling their transfer options due to the ineptitude of the offense in 2017. We all heard the low-burn rumors that the WR room was discontent. There have been several articles about WRs, RBs, and a certain QB floating their transfer options in December. It seems to me that there would be only one choice because picking Hurts again would very likely lose some of these guys we're now relying on for production.

That is why I find the theory that Kenny Bell under an assumed name posting these videos so interesting. He's got to be close to the program still...he's probably venting the same kind of stuff going on in the WR room when the door is closed for group film study.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

I have to admit that after knowing how this past week and 1st scrimmage went in combination with watching the John Doe video.... I'm starting to get really antsy.

There is pretty much no reason not to go ahead and start giving Tua 100% of the 1st string reps. No official announcement needs to be made but behind closed door make the dang change.

Of course a few people are saying that this HAS happened and that now the battle is between Jalen and Mac for the Backup role and that Mac is playing better in that battle too.

It's frustrating though to know just how far apart Tua and Jalen are in this competition yet it's still seemingly playing out.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I have to admit that after knowing how this past week and 1st scrimmage went in combination with watching the John Doe video.... I'm starting to get really antsy.

There is pretty much no reason not to go ahead and start giving Tua 100% of the 1st string reps. No official announcement needs to be made but behind closed door make the dang change.

Of course a few people are saying that this HAS happened and that now the battle is between Jalen and Mac for the Backup role and that Mac is playing better in that battle too.

It's frustrating though to know just how far apart Tua and Jalen are in this competition yet it's still seemingly playing out.
Remember, the media sees a very tiny portion of the practice. For all we know, Tua is getting all of the 1st team reps when they are not around.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

I think that this is spot on, but should he have been? Saban picks the starting QB. He picked Jalen. Daboll needed to change his play calls to leverage Jalen's strengths when it became apparent that Jalen simply could not run his offense.

IMO, Daboll, for all his abilities, limited the effectiveness of your offense when Jalen was in there. He wanted Tua to play (and he wasn't wrong), but when the boss makes a call you get behind that call and make it work. Daboll didn't even try to make it work. He kept calling the same plays expecting Jalen to get better and when that didn't happen, Daboll refused to adjust (or simply didn't have the ability to adjust?).

What Jalen or his father wanted should not come into play. You do what is best for the team. You make it work. Daboll didn't even try. We can all fault Kiffin for his idiocy off the field, but he played to the strengths of his players. Daboll didn't even try to do this.
watching through that 53 minute video - what exactly are the strengths of Jalen we should leverage? I mean, there were LOTS of examples of the FIRST read being wide open and Jalen not pulling the trigger on all sorts of routes, slants, stops, seams, outs, whatever. Should we have just switched to a pure read option? Would that have worked for the other 5 skill players on the field and used their abilities? Would Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith and others stick around for that or transfer out? With Jalen's propensity to also keep the ball on read options when he should hand off, what do Harris, harris, Robinson and Jacobs do? Are they willing to stay? Long term, are we able to recruit players who want to get to the NFL if we are running a system that doesn't match the skills they need to show to the league?

Also, Saban went on record saying they'd simplified the read progressions for Jalen, in many cases only having Jalen read one side of the field / formation, so Daboll did adjust. The challenge this presents is that other teams are able to very easily diagnose what Jalen is reading since it's so simplified, and then give looks that take that read away. Against a lot of teams we can just overpower that, but against the top tier teams the numbers speak for themselves.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I'm not sure I agree with this as Bama's offense was more effective in 2017 than 2016.
2016 (minus NOTs): 32.6 PPG
2017 (minus NOTs): 36.1 PPG

Hurts overall passing numbers were down, but his overall efficiency was essentially unchanged from 2016 to 2017:

I think you're giving Daboll a bad rap here - the 2016 Bama offense wasn't as effective as it was in 2017. It just could have been SO MUCH BETTER in 2017 if Bama had played the QB that could throw the ball effectively.

And that's not even mentioning that Kiffin had the advantage of playing Hurts against teams that hadn't diagnosed his weaknesses yet.

Attachments

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I'm not sure I agree with this as Bama's offense was more effective in 2017 than 2016.
IMO that was for one reason - Tua. You ran an aggressive offense when he came into the game every time, no matter the score. You did not try to shorten games or run out the clock - you attacked. Add Tua's amazing talent and you produce a ton of points that you would not have produced in previous seasons.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

watching through that 53 minute video - what exactly are the strengths of Jalen we should leverage?
Look at your offense in 2016 for the answers. You have to keep 8 players out of the box. When they are not afraid of the vertical passing game, you have to spread them out horizontally. You did that with great effect in 2017, even against the best defenses in the country. You did not even try to do that in 2017.

Remember those bubble screens and jet sweeps that Jalen ran to perfection? They had a purpose.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.