Alabama QB competition article

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Alabama QB competition article (ALL QB posts here, please)

So you don’t find it odd that in 16 he had more yards, more tds, and more ints than 17? That may seem like an improvement but it’s not when you factor that he was dinking and dunking and scrambling on just about every play in 17 with receivers running wide open down the side line. Point is when you play the Brady game with a QB incapable of hitting the deep ball you allow the defenses to cheat up because they don’t respect you. That’s what daboll did with Jalen. Kiffin tried misdirection and Jalen was more effective.
In 2016, Jalen made up 92% of the team's passing attempts, 91% of the completions, 88% of the passing yards, 88% of the passing TDs, 30% of the rushing attempts, 32% of the rushing yards, and 39% of the rushing TDs.

In 2017, Jalen made up 77% of the team's passing attempts, 75% of the completions, 77% of the passing yards, 61% of the passing TDs, 25% of the rushing attempts, 28% of the rushing yards, and 22% of the rushing TDs.

That explains why he had less yards in 2017 compared to 2016. Plus, the one less game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

In 2016, Jalen made up 92% of the team's passing attempts, 91% of the completions, 88% of the passing yards, 88% of the passing TDs, 30% of the rushing attempts, 32% of the rushing yards, and 39% of the rushing TDs.

In 2017, Jalen made up 77% of the team's passing attempts, 75% of the completions, 77% of the passing yards, 61% of the passing TDs, 25% of the rushing attempts, 28% of the rushing yards, and 22% of the rushing TDs.

That explains why he had less yards in 2017 compared to 2016. Plus, the one less game.
What percentage of the total number of plays run in each season had Jalen at QB? I remember Jalen playing a lot more in 2016 than he did in 2017, and not just because of the extra game. Maybe I am wrong, but Alabama really didn't have a backup in 2016, and you played a much more difficult schedule. Jalen had to play for a lot of reasons.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

What percentage of the total number of plays run in each season had Jalen at QB? I remember Jalen playing a lot more in 2016 than he did in 2017, and not just because of the extra game. Maybe I am wrong, but Alabama really didn't have a backup in 2016, and you played a much more difficult schedule. Jalen had to play for a lot of reasons.
I think that is the point RTR is making. Not speaking for him but I think that's the idea.

There are so many factors that go into this comparison but, again, the one consistent is that Jalen wasn't able to consistently pass the ball down the field, and if he did it was often under-thrown or behind the receiver with very little YAC.

That's why I can't put much energy into this section of the conversation. Jalen didn't operate well as a traditional QB in either system. Trying to figure out which system he was worse in is pretty frustrating.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

No clue. Not sure of a resource that provides that detailed stats for college.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

The guy was killing me. "Go into the kitchen, aks yo mama stop makin dinner, come here and make dat throw".

- except "here" sounded more like "nhyuh"
Even though it is brutal..I may have to watch it again for his comments. I hope he makes more videos down the road.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

Even though it is brutal..I may have to watch it again for his comments. I hope he makes more videos down the road.
Finally watched it -- and it is brutal on JH. What I wonder is what percentage of QB's miss open receivers anyway? I think even good QB's don't see everything on every play. However, that being said, I do believe that our collective frustration was real...We should have a much more balanced and productive offense this year. I also will say that LK must be an offensive genius to get JH to be the SEC OPOY. We were basically running the wildcat on almost every play...with a few have to passes thrown in.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

Offered FWIW. Just listened to the Capstone Report with DC over lunch discussing the first scrimmage.

Interesting comments on Jalen's performance that he did not perform so badly in the scrimmage and had the ball position at times where the offense was disadvantaged. More significantly he reported that sources are saying that Enos work with the QB's is paying off and JH is working through his reads and surprising receivers with getting some throws off to his second and third read.

Can be heard here:

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL

So you don’t find it odd that in 16 he had more yards, more tds, and more ints than 17? That may seem like an improvement but it’s not when you factor that he was dinking and dunking and scrambling on just about every play in 17 with receivers running wide open down the side line. Point is when you play the Brady game with a QB incapable of hitting the deep ball you allow the defenses to cheat up because they don’t respect you. That’s what daboll did with Jalen. Kiffin tried misdirection and Jalen was more effective.
I did notice a difference, but it seems more mental to me than x's and o's. I feel like Jalen has got into his own head. Take spring games for example... In 17, Jalen practically went throw for throw with Tua. This year he looked horrible. The kid was a baller in high school. I know college is a lot different, i sincerely feel like he's better than he has been playing. He needs to dig down deep in that noggin and figure out what's going on if he wants to continue to try to be a quarterback.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

No clue. Not sure of a resource that provides that detailed stats for college.
Had to dig around a bit, but here's what I found:

2016 :
JH: 191 rush attempts, 382 pass attempts - 573
Bama: 639 rush attempts, 417 pass attempts - 1,056
JH accounted for 54.6% of Bama's plays (483 plays without JH rushing or passing)

2017:
JH: 154 rush attempts, 254 pass attempts - 408
Bama: 612 rush attempts, 332 pass attempts - 944
JH accounted for 43.2% of Bama's plays (536 plays without JH rushing or passing)

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

2016 :
JH accounted for 54.6% of Bama's plays (483 plays without JH rushing or passing)

2017:
JH accounted for 43.2% of Bama's plays (536 plays without JH rushing or passing)
Yeah that's as good as we could get. Don't think we could get the exact number of plays where Jalen wasn't on the field like B1G mentioned. There's no doubt Jalen was on the sideline a higher percentage of the 2017 season compared to the 2016 season, though.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Offered FWIW. Just listened to the Capstone Report with DC over lunch discussing the first scrimmage.

Interesting comments on Jalen's performance that he did not perform so badly in the scrimmage and had the ball position at times where the offense was disadvantaged. More significantly he reported that sources are saying that Enos work with the QB's is paying off and JH is working through his reads and surprising receivers with getting some throws off to his second and third read.

Can be heard here:

I'll try to listen later, but the problem is he's already behind a guy that doesn't that stuff in his sleep.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

I'll try to listen later, but the problem is he's already behind a guy that doesn't that stuff in his sleep.
Unfortunately that guy is just one helmet hit away from a broken bone in his hand so any news about JH improving his game is way good in my mind!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Yeah, I'm not rooting against Jalen getting better I just fear that the good coaching he's finally receiving regarding technique is too late for it to pay off for him here. Get the distinct feeling that Enos is gonna be coaching him up for someone else's benefit in 2019.

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

2016 :

2017:
That is interesting because during the 2017 season I had the impression that we got worse at getting the ball out of Hurts’ hands than we did in 2016. Seemed like Hurts was just doing everything (as in keeping the ball). Maybe it’s just because I didn’t expect too much out of a true freshman.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Yeah that's as good as we could get. Don't think we could get the exact number of plays where Jalen wasn't on the field like B1G mentioned. There's no doubt Jalen was on the sideline a higher percentage of the 2017 season compared to the 2016 season, though.
I think that accounts for the higher scoring numbers in 2017. Tua > Jalen

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

That is interesting because during the 2017 season I had the impression that we got worse at getting the ball out of Hurts’ hands than we did in 2016. Seemed like Hurts was just doing everything (as in keeping the ball). Maybe it’s just because I didn’t expect too much out of a true freshman.
We had big leads early in most of those early games in 2017 -- played a lot of reserves....

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I tend to agree with B1G's assessment on the higher scoring in 2017. We had our best backup quarterback of the Saban era - because he was actually our best quarterback - so when he came in the offense couldn't even slow down really because he was too dang ahead of the game for a backup.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Yeah, I'm not rooting against Jalen getting better I just fear that the good coaching he's finally receiving regarding technique is too late for it to pay off for him here. Get the distinct feeling that Enos is gonna be coaching him up for someone else's benefit in 2019.
Exactly what I meant. Not convinced if Tua goes down it might not be MJ right now anyway.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I tend to agree with B1G's assessment on the higher scoring in 2017. We had our best backup quarterback of the Saban era - because he was actually our best quarterback - so when he came in the offense couldn't even slow down really because he was too dang ahead of the game for a backup.
Jalen played the entire game only six times in 2017. After he left the game, Alabama ran 226 plays. Of those, 74 were pass attempts for 623 yards and 11 TDs.

That would make a significant difference.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.