Alabama QB competition article

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: Alabama QB competition article (ALL QB posts here, please)

Jalen played the entire game only six times in 2017. After he left the game, Alabama ran 226 plays. Of those, 74 were pass attempts for 623 yards and 11 TDs.

That would make a significant difference.
Yah, as I posted earlier - here are JH's scoring numbers for both seasons:
2016: 31.2 (15 games, 2 OCs)
2017: 30.6 (14 games, 1 OC)

Not significantly different.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

Exactly what I meant. Not convinced if Tua goes down it might not be MJ right now anyway.
Based on the ability demonstrated in the Spring Game ( and I realize it was just a scrimmage), Mac Jones looked better in many ways.............with Enos' tutelage, who knows how good he will be?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Based on the ability demonstrated in the Spring Game ( and I realize it was just a scrimmage), Mac Jones looked better in many ways.............with Enos' tutelage, who knows how good he will be?
To that point, I'm especially worried about losing him because there is a good chance he'd be the stop gap between Tua and Tualia or Tyson but the way this world goes he'll probably transfer out and we'll be starting Tualia or Tyson ahead of schedule. Neither seem to be likely to be ready to go from day 1 as Tua...might even take a few years for them.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

To that point, I'm especially worried about losing him because there is a good chance he'd be the stop gap between Tua and Tualia or Tyson but the way this world goes he'll probably transfer out and we'll be starting Tualia or Tyson ahead of schedule. Neither seem to be likely to be ready to go from day 1 as Tua...might even take a few years for them.
There's always that chance...........but if in the event JH left, I think he might stick around trying to win the job..............but I'm just an armchair analyst, and have no clue ; )

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012

Exactly what I meant. Not convinced if Tua goes down it might not be MJ right now anyway.
We have not seen Mac against the 1st string defense. Yes, Jalen was awful in the spring game and he hasn't shown significant improvement but I feel like we're making way too much out of MJ's spring game performance.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

We have not seen Mac against the 1st string defense. Yes, Jalen was awful in the spring game and he hasn't shown significant improvement but I feel like we're making way too much out of MJ's spring game performance.
He's playing really well right now in practice and had a better scrimmage Saturday than Jalen. At this point we know Jalen has hit his ceiling while Mac looks to potentially be AJ McCarron level good.

The Spring Game was eye opening because he was making window throws and hitting WR's in stride/throwing them open. Things Jalen doesn't do..... and I mean he was named Co-MVP of the game so CNS was impressed I'd say.

I have no doubts that Mac Jones (with some seasoning and game experience) would fare better than Jalen at the end of the year against LSU, AU, UGA, Clemson, tOSU, Oklahoma etc etc.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016

Finebaum had Blake Sims on today and from the reaction I heard on the way home from work he seemed to have said that he believes Jalen is the starter still. I didn't have a chance to listen once I got home. Anyone hear any of this?

Someone that will admit to listening to Finebaum???

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Finebaum had Blake Sims on today and from the reaction I heard on the way home from work he seemed to have said that he believes Jalen is the starter still. I didn't have a chance to listen once I got home. Anyone hear any of this?

I only listen to Pawl during the football season. In the off-season he becomes a rumor mongering moron.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

I didn't hear but I don't see how that could even remotely be possible.

Even for those of us who think Tua is clearly leading the race if not has already won it..... there is CNS saying that it's ongoing and not decided by last week or the scrimmage.

He's making it sound like the decision might not be made until the very end of camp either way...

But if Blake Sims said that then I'm about to get nauseous with heartburn simultaneously.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016

Even for those of us who think Tua is clearly leading the race if not has already won it..... there is CNS saying that it's ongoing and not decided by last week or the scrimmage.

He's making it sound like the decision might not be made until the very end of camp either way...

But if Blake Sims said that then I'm about to get nauseous with heartburn simultaneously.
I'm not sure what Blake said. Missed the segment. I was just going by the reaction of the callers as to what he said. I'm hoping someone else heard it to confirm my suspicion that Blake was defensive of Jalen and people took it the wrong way.

I don't see any way that Tua doesn't start based on all the metrics coming out of scrimmages and practices. If Jalen trots out against Loserville I would be floored.

I also heard that we won't get any more updates from folks outside the athletic department with the increased security at scrimmages. :eek:

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

He believes JH is still the starter, but doesn't know it for a fact.................I don't see it honestly. I think Blake was taking up for JH...............to start him would be a mistake

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

I don't see any way that Tua doesn't start based on all the metrics coming out of scrimmages and practices. If Jalen trots out against Loserville I would be floored.

I also heard that we won't get any more updates from folks outside the athletic department with the increased security at scrimmages. :eek:
Well we won't hear anything more from Will Lowery that's for sure....lol

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Well if anyone from Louisville's coaching staff is reading this, prepare only for Jalen. Don't even bother preparing for Tua.

no one tell them what blue font means.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012

Blake did not insist that Jalen was the starter at all. He just said that fans need to support both QBs regardless of who wins and loses.

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

He believes JH is still the starter, but doesn't know it for a fact.................I don't see it honestly. I think Blake was taking up for JH...............to start him would be a mistake
Well that makes me feel better. It's just his opinion and he's probably just siding with the Experienced Upperclassmen there.

So far all information coming out is that Tua is performing leagues better right now to the point that the real competition is between Jalen and Mac.

Good lord I wish the Louisville game would get here already and us see #13 lead the offense onto the field right away.

I just can't fathom the RB's, OL, TE's and WR's putting up with more of last year. We will have MASS departures if the right call isn't made.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

Well that makes me feel better. It's just his opinion and he's probably just siding with the Experienced Upperclassmen there.

So far all information coming out is that Tua is performing leagues better right now to the point that the real competition is between Jalen and Mac.

Good lord I wish the Louisville game would get here already and us see #13 lead the offense onto the field right away.

I just can't fathom the RB's, OL, TE's and WR's putting up with more of last year. We will have MASS departures if the right call isn't made.
Honestly if Hurts starts and/or they do that silly rotating possessions game, I’m not sure how much football I can watch this year. I am done watching the QB run to the right, go out of bounds or throw it away 9/10 passing attempts. It’s painful.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012

That was my take as well..............
You also got to understand that he’s had a terrible spring game and terrible first scrimmage before too and ended up being a starter, with that said Blake was a much better passer than Jalen and didn’t depend so much on his legs but he did use them when needed.

I think the more interesting comment from the interview was when Paul asked him about Jalen’s comments and what Saban said to Blake when he was in the running for the job. Blake said what he tells every QB and that is to “go out there and win the team” so I believe that the coaches did talk to Jalen but they didn’t tell Jalen anything that he wanted to hear.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

Honestly if Hurts starts and/or they do that silly rotating possessions game, I’m not sure how much football I can watch this year. I am done watching the QB run to the right, go out of bounds or throw it away 9/10 passing attempts. It’s painful.
I agree.................I don't see that happening, but if it does then Saban will have made a colossal mistake that will affect many things.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

JohnDoe/Kenny Bell that you??

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.