Alabama QB competition article

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
I supported Jalen all year, but it became pretty evident a change needed to be made. He was taking off well before the pocket collapsed.

Let's not pretend he scrambled only because the OL missed a block.
Agreed. He made the tackles look really bad at times. To no fault of their own. They are blocking for a pocket, huge guys, their back is to the QB. I saw many times he left the o lineman in a can't win situation.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Agreed. He made the tackles look really bad at times. To no fault of their own. They are blocking for a pocket, huge guys, their back is to the QB. I saw many times he left the o lineman in a can't win situation.
I can't speak for the entire season but I can go ahead and tell you that the LSU and MSU games had almost all justified scrambles by the QB. The line was getting beat frequently both of these games and not in the sorta way where the QB can slide around a bit to extend the pocket. Have I seen Jalen Hurts abort the play too quickly in favor of a scramble run? Sure, but in some of our biggest games I've rewatched I'm just not seeing it. When the whiffs are that bad then you basically have to roll out and cut your field in half for potential scramble drill throws then probably run.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I am in the process of rewatching the MSU game and just got to the segment you mentioned that I highlighted above. We got in FG range next three plays:

1st and 10 MSU 16: Inside zone read, Hurts decided to keep because he thought he could make the corner with Irv Smith Jr engaged with his man kind of shielding the unblocked guy who was running inside towards the tailback at the time of the read. Irv Smith Jr got knocked on his behind after the keep decision, Hurts ends up with two guys chasing him when his read gave him the indication he could make the corner if Smith just did anything but fall down on his backside seal.

2nd and 9 MSU 15: Pre-snap motion pulls Damien out of the backfield, Irv Smith Jr comes across from strong to weak side for a block. I think this was run/pass option for the quarterback. The key I'm going on is that the strong side receivers are all looking towards the QB at the snap for an indication whether they should be cutting off their routes for blocks or not. Probably meant to be a quick throw behind the line of scrimmage to Damien Harris for a catch and run (because several of the linemen are firing up field off their blocks like a run play) OR a keep by Hurts to run wherever he's reading the blocks for an opening. What happens is the strong side safety goes right down into the flat to take the swing pass to the motion back away, Matt Womack flat out gets dominated by #94, this causes Hurts to try to scramble away to the right to attempt to get away from 94. His pre-snap identification told him they had too many guys on the left side to try to scramble that direction. Ended up unable to out-athlete #94 in a phone booth and got sacked for 4 yard loss.

3rd and 14 from MSU 19: Alabama gets in a 3x1 set, I think the staff decided to just let Hurts run to improve the FG attempt chances. Not a bad call if MSU decided to sit in zone but instead they call a double a-gap blitz which absolutely nullifies any attempt to run the blitzers up field then draw the QB.

What I see is three safe calls that within the context of how the game was playing made a ton of sense. Alabama had been gashing MSU on the ground the entire second half, MSU only had 1 timeout remaining, and they had the opportunity to potentially just drain the clock with a chip-in FGA. You just can't put that on Hurts. The 2nd down play is what blew that series of downs up and it was mostly the combination of an abundantly safe and obvious screen type throw and bad blocking. The 3rd down call is probably the call you make 90 out of 100 times unless Tom Brady or some other all-time great is taking the snap.

Also, wew lad. The pass protection was also pretty dang poor in this game following the rewatch of the LSU game. I really think we are going to see Leatherwood at LT and Williams at RT next Fall. Womack is just a guy on the tape. Williams is solid but I think he projects as an NFL RT anyway.
I hope so. Also, hope that Wills gets to start, either insider or outside. Probably inside, since they likely won't move Williams inside.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I can't speak for the entire season but I can go ahead and tell you that the LSU and MSU games had almost all justified scrambles by the QB. The line was getting beat frequently both of these games and not in the sorta way where the QB can slide around a bit to extend the pocket. Have I seen Jalen Hurts abort the play too quickly in favor of a scramble run? Sure, but in some of our biggest games I've rewatched I'm just not seeing it. When the whiffs are that bad then you basically have to roll out and cut your field in half for potential scramble drill throws then probably run.
I'll have to watch again, but that's not what I recall. What I remember is that at the first flash of pressure, Jalen has a tendency to flush to the side (mostly to the right), instead of stepping up into the pocket. This does two things first it takes half the field out of the pattern, second; it makes the blocking a lot worse than it really is since the OT is going to be pushing his man out and up to keep the pocket. If the QB flushes into that he makes it worse. jalen rarely stepped INTO the pocket - he usually flushed OUT of the pocket. The announcers in the national championship even talked about it with several plays as illustrations.
'

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
We can go back and forth on this, but the simple fact is that Hurts had a great game, and came through when needed. I think that should be easy to accept. That's one issue I have with the context of some discussions. Hurts had bad games, absolutely. The Miss. State game wasn't one of them. But, Daboll always loved the deep ball. One of the first things he did when he arrived was strip the underneath and institute more deep stuff. I'm not buying the idea that in year one Hurts was ok with the underneath and in year two he said screw this, I'm throwing downfield more and I absolutely refuse to throw underneath stuff. It doesn't make any sense to me that Hurts forgot to do something he was very good at during the year one, it seems much more likely that Daboll simply drew up different plays. That aside, on the most important play of the game, Hurts actually shortened a route, so once again we have Daboll trying to draw up a long pass.

I'm not saying Hurts wasn't without his flaws and I openly say now Tua should be the starter, but he played a great game against Miss. State and there clearly, obviously, were changes to the offense made from Kiffin to Daboll. I think that there had to be some issues with the Daboll/Hurts relationship, as it felt like square peg round hole. One big reason Tua looked so great against Georgia is that's how Daboll's offense was designed to work. It wasn't like Tua was always safe in the pocket either, but a lot of the best stuff was sit back there and wait for a long play to develop, and it clearly suited Tua better. The problem with that? Hurts was the starter, not Tua...
fundamentally disagree with that, so we'll have to agree to disagree. I see the reads Hurts didn't make as major issues, and it doesn't seem you do.

The only plays Daboll really took out were the jet sweeps. Most of the rest of the route tree stayed the same, it's just that defenses knew they could park on the short routes and that if that first route was not open that Jalen would run. Seems the MSU numbers validate that.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I see the reads Hurts didn't make as major issues, and it doesn't seem you do.
I see a lot of things with Hurts as major issues, I never stated otherwise. I just reiterate that he played a good game against Miss. State. I believe he played an excellent game under the circumstances. Read what rgw said, plenty of Hurts scrambles were not just ill advised and refusing to throw the ball. Some of those prevented sacks, or instead of throwing the ball away he gained a few yards.

Miss. State came to play, they were well coached, they outdid Alabama at a lot of things. Fortunately Jalen Hurts had a really good outing, and the fact that the worst thing he seemed to do was lose a few yards in field goal range says a lot. Not perfect, but still a great game. I really don't get this whole thing though, the if Tua had started Alabama beats Auburn (for the record I don't care one tiny bit that Alabama lost to Auburn, the championship is what matters), the offensive line always did a great job, if Hurts got pressured that was his own doing, Daboll (who ran to the NFL first chance he got) was calling a great game but Hurts just screwed it all up, if Alabama didn't burn a lot of clock that was all Hurts fault, etc...

The issues were not all the fault of Hurts. Some? Many? Sure, not disputing that. But, I really don't like the idea of kind of revising even his good games into lesser performances.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
When playing a really good team (like Georgia, LSU, Miss State and Auburn) and they stack the line with 8-9 man front what is the QB supposed to do? Pass enough to keep the run D honest? Run enough to keep the run D honest? This is not rocket science. When the pass is not respected, for whatever reason, it usually does not end well for the team who can't pass well.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Beating Auburn is great. Like how beating Tennessee, LSU, or any SEC team that tries to step to us is great.

This year just proves that Alabama isn't defined by the Iron Bowl any more than any other SEC game of importance.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I see a lot of things with Hurts as major issues, I never stated otherwise. I just reiterate that he played a good game against Miss. State. I believe he played an excellent game under the circumstances. Read what rgw said, plenty of Hurts scrambles were not just ill advised and refusing to throw the ball. Some of those prevented sacks, or instead of throwing the ball away he gained a few yards.

Miss. State came to play, they were well coached, they outdid Alabama at a lot of things. Fortunately Jalen Hurts had a really good outing, and the fact that the worst thing he seemed to do was lose a few yards in field goal range says a lot. Not perfect, but still a great game. I really don't get this whole thing though, the if Tua had started Alabama beats Auburn (for the record I don't care one tiny bit that Alabama lost to Auburn, the championship is what matters), the offensive line always did a great job, if Hurts got pressured that was his own doing, Daboll (who ran to the NFL first chance he got) was calling a great game but Hurts just screwed it all up, if Alabama didn't burn a lot of clock that was all Hurts fault, etc...

The issues were not all the fault of Hurts. Some? Many? Sure, not disputing that. But, I really don't like the idea of kind of revising even his good games into lesser performances.
If your posting history didn't go back so far, I would swear you are Jalen's father based on many of your posts. We all love the kid and I thank him for all he did for us. But if you can't see all the ways he fell short in so many games, despite the final scoreboard, then you really do have the blinders on. Without being an expert on the subject, I could easily see that he struggles passing, gives up on passing plays too quickly, and calls his own number in run options when the RB was the better read. I think that he was just used to always winning games by calling his own number than not all the way through high school, where he was likely always the best athlete on the field. But once that was no longer always the case, he struggled. He has achieved a lot, without a doubt, and there are so many things to admire about Jalen Hurts. But his ability to take over a game with his arm and keep teams honest, thus allowing some of his running magic to wow us, has proven to be unreliable at best.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think that he was just used to always winning games by calling his own number than not all the way through high school, where he was likely always the best athlete on the field. But once that was no longer always the case, he struggled. .
Jalen Hurts is the victim of his own success. No doubt he did what you say in HS and was very successful at it. He also threw the ball, especially the deep ball, quite well in some of the video's I've seen.

But when he came to Bama he said he came to learn how to be a drop back, passing qb. This would have entailed learning how to read defenses and go through progressions and learning better footwork in the pocket, etc.

Unfortunately, he landed here at a time when our first true freshman in decades was needed to take the field. He basically had to be who he was. A run first, first read type of QB. I don't hold that against him at all because you can only do what you know how to do.

If he would have redshirted and maybe played in limited backup roles his redshirt year (which would have been the past year), he would have probably been able to learn much more about the passing game, but such were not the circumstances. In a perfect world he could have played as a redshirt soph. (next year) and probably been much more balanced as a runner and passer, but that is not the way it worked out.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If he would have redshirted and maybe played in limited backup roles his redshirt year (which would have been the past year), he would have probably been able to learn much more about the passing game, but such were not the circumstances. In a perfect world he could have played as a redshirt soph. (next year) and probably been much more balanced as a runner and passer, but that is not the way it worked out.
Yep. Completely agree. He was baptized by fire and never got a chance to sit, study, watch and learn.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Yep. Completely agree. He was baptized by fire and never got a chance to sit, study, watch and learn.
So many of those kids want to get in and start their first year when sometimes it's the worst thing that could happen to them. I don't think Jalent beneefitted from Kiffin being in the state that he was or dealing with the changeover at the position.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
While I think Tua, from day one, was much more polished and advanced as a QB, his ability to be worked into games after the W was secure was a big blessing for him. I think he was probably good enough to help us win most games last year (discussed in another thread) if he would have had to played as a true freshman like JH the year before, but there's no doubt in my mind he was able to grow more in the way he was eased into game like situations and that came to a culmination against Georgia. And the slow learning curve from last year will likely pay off this year as his talent is worked into game plans!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.