Alabama QB competition article

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Re: Alabama QB competition article (ALL QB posts here, please)

I could be way off base here, but I think Coach has his mind made up but he's just simply putting off the inevitable.
Coach made up his mind a while back. That's why Jalen was upset. There were no complaints from Tua about lack of communication. Complaining is something a guy might do when he's been demoted but not something he's likely to do if he's going to be the starter. Tua seemed confident and ready to get the season started while Jalen was frustrated how things turned out. I think they both knew who's starting.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I could be way off base here, but I think Coach has his mind made up but he's just simply putting off the inevitable. We know how much he cares for these players and Jalen is a good kid thats done a lot for this team in the last two years. This type of thing is why CNS is paid big bucks but that doesn't make it any easier.
I fully trust Coach and I would be shocked if anyone but Tua starts against UL. We just need to be patient and let it play out! It's only 2 more weeks! RTR!
Two thumbs up, gtown.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Coach made up his mind a while back. That's why Jalen was upset. There were no complaints from Tua about lack of communication. Complaining is something a guy might do when he's been demoted but not something he's likely to do if he's going to be the starter. Tua seemed confident and ready to get the season started while Jalen was frustrated how things turned out. I think they both knew who's starting.
That is a very good point and very, very true. Most things the coaches know more than I do about and I'll admit that. But who the starter should be is not one or them. I know who it should be and I will add that I knew after LSU who it should have been.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

He now has a real QB

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
He got to Alabama in 2014, so he had Blake, Jake, and Jalen. We can criticize Jalen, but he wasn't the only QB throwing the ball while Cam was on campus.

I'm not sure Cam was ever fully healthy when at Alabama. When he was healthy, he was playing behind talented WRs. By the time his senior season came around, he had the trio come to town.

We never fully saw what Cam could do for various reasons. Hopefully, he gets his shot to shine in the NFL.

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018

He probably won himself a roster spot last night.
He catches everything that hits his hands. While he wasn't consistently targeted, he did make some remarkable catches last year, especially at the side line. He can stretch, and will sacrifice to get the ball, I see him as a match up nightmare, if he can stay healthy

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

He catches everything that hits his hands. While he wasn't consistently targeted, he did make some remarkable catches last year, especially at the side line. He can stretch, and will sacrifice to get the ball, I see him as a match up nightmare, if he can stay healthy
He had a bad drop early in the game last night but really bounced back after that. I was worried after the drop that he might be in trouble but what he did after that was really impressive. The TD catch that called back was fantastic.

I follow the Redskins pretty closely and I would have given him a little over 50% shot of making the team before last night but now I think its much closer to 100%. I think he is very likely to be our 5th or 6th WR. I can tell you the fan base is all on board. A lot of Redskins fans fell in love with him last night.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

He had a bad drop early in the game last night but really bounced back after that. I was worried after the drop that he might be in trouble but what he did after that was really impressive. The TD catch that called back was fantastic.

I follow the Redskins pretty closely and I would have given him a little over 50% shot of making the team before last night but now I think its much closer to 100%. I think he is very likely to be our 5th or 6th WR. I can tell you the fan base is all on board. A lot of Redskins fans fell in love with him last night.
Never been a Skins fan, Packer through and through, but with all the Bama flavor they are becoming my 2nd team.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I felt like he went from probably being cut after the bad drop that turned into an INT to almost certainly making the team with 3 spectacular catches throughout the rest of the game including the back should fade to set up the game winning field goal. I think he can seal his roster spot with another good performance in the next preseason game..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Finally finished watching the Jon Doe video. Thought I had when watching the clip of Robert Foster not making a sliding catch against Clemson in NOLA - how many of the drops on third down in the championship game against Clemson were legitimate drops and how many were due to poor passes?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

I felt like he went from probably being cut after the bad drop that turned into an INT to almost certainly making the team with 3 spectacular catches throughout the rest of the game including the back should fade to set up the game winning field goal. I think he can seal his roster spot with another good performance in the next preseason game..
Thats exactly how I felt. I actually turned the game off for a second after the drop because I can only stand so much preseason football nowadays. It helps that another WR he was competing with got hurt last week but his only real competition at this point is Brian Quick. And Quick is pretty garbage but he helps on ST. I feel pretty confident that he will make the team. But agree that 1 more strong preseason game should lock it up.

One thing seems pretty certain, he will likely be on a roster at this point. No way he makes it to the practice squad.
Finally finished watching the Jon Doe video. Thought I had when watching the clip of Robert Foster not making a sliding catch against Clemson in NOLA - how many of the drops on third down in the championship game against Clemson were legitimate drops and how many were due to poor passes?
Good question. Also, how many drops were concentration drops because WRs weren't expecting the ball.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

He got to Alabama in 2014, so he had Blake, Jake, and Jalen. We can criticize Jalen, but he wasn't the only QB throwing the ball while Cam was on campus.

I'm not sure Cam was ever fully healthy when at Alabama. When he was healthy, he was playing behind talented WRs. By the time his senior season came around, he had the trio come to town.

We never fully saw what Cam could do for various reasons. Hopefully, he gets his shot to shine in the NFL.
Saw this tweet, was reminded of this thread:

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1030492946112630784

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va

Ben Standig
✔ @BenStandig

Cam Sims on whether Nick Saban made a mistake by not using him more at Alabama: "Nah, he never make no mistakes. See, I got two rings. He ain’t making no mistakes. I went to the college playoffs four years in a row. Nah, he ain’t making not mistakes. He’s doing something right."​
12:33 PM - Aug 17, 2018

• [*]

• I like that. That shows a lot of understanding on his part. I wish him the absolute best.

Roll Tide!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I finally watched the first 20 minutes of the John Doe video.

Didn't actually think the language was that bad. I've heard infinitely worse, over coffee, at work, at an S&P 500 bank.

Acknowledging that it was lowlights, it was brutal. Nobody playing QB at Alabama should have that many mistakes. I understand now both why Ridley was openly showing frustration, and the rumors of near-mutiny in the WR room, especially as the 2017 season went on.

The main takeaway is that a QB can make a mistake without throwing an interception. We're forever hearing about 17 touchdowns / 1 interception. We hear nothing about the childishly open, yet missed, receivers. We hear nothing about the passes that 5* receivers dug out of the ground, or reached high, low, behind or in front, to make a circus catch that should have gone for many yards more, maybe even a TD.

Like a Roman Catholic's sins, a QBs mistakes are of both commission and omission. Jalen makes very few mistakes of commission, and that goes a long way against 125 of the 135 or so FBS teams. Mistakes of omission? An altogether different story, and especially telling against an elite defense.

I expect Tua to make marginally more of the commission variety, and far fewer of the omission type. Net, I expect fewer mistakes out of Tua than Jalen.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Didn't actually think the language was that bad. I've heard infinitely worse, over coffee, at work, at an S&P 500 bank.
When he gets worked up near the end he starts letting it flow more freely. Still nothing you won't hear in most any movie nowadays, but definitely beyond PG.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Acknowledging that it was lowlights, it was brutal. Nobody playing QB at Alabama should have that many mistakes. I understand now both why Ridley was openly showing frustration, and the rumors of near-mutiny in the WR room, especially as the 2017 season went on.

The main takeaway is that a QB can make a mistake without throwing an interception. We're forever hearing about 17 touchdowns / 1 interception. We hear nothing about the childishly open, yet missed, receivers. We hear nothing about the passes that 5* receivers dug out of the ground, or reached high, low, behind or in front, to make a circus catch that should have gone for many yards more, maybe even a TD.

Like a Roman Catholic's sins, a QBs mistakes are of both commission and omission. Jalen makes very few mistakes of commission, and that goes a long way against 125 of the 135 or so FBS teams. Mistakes of omission? An altogether different story, and especially telling against an elite defense.

I expect Tua to make marginally more of the commission variety, and far fewer of the omission type. Net, I expect fewer mistakes out of Tua than Jalen.
The thing is, conservative, defensive-minded coaches like CNS will forgive sins of omission much more quickly than sins of commission...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Feel like I'm back in the confirmation classes I took in middle school right now.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.