Alabama QB competition article

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
You must be at practice a lot to make this kind of assessment.
Like most of us I do not have an inside knowledge of the team. I did watch every bit of practice and analysis available to me. I may be overly exuberant in my comments but I am fairly certain about a couple of things .. A QB group will perform better being coached on all aspects of their position versus not being coached. This is true in all sports. I do feel strongly that every throw in warm up should be purposeful for a group of 18-20 year olds. They either develop good mechanics or fall into bad habits.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Oh yeah. I didn't pay attention to the picture. I read somewhere that Tua is actually right handed at most tasks. He might be a better passer right handed than Jalen.
It doesn't work that way. Phil Mickelson can't hit a golf ball right handed. He does everything else right-handed. I'm ambedextrous (ironic word), in that I do some things right handed and some left handed. When I've had to have hand or shoulder surgery, I've found that I'm inept at the tasks which have been assigned to the other side. I bat either way. Yes, I can do a better job than most on my off hand with throwing, etc., but not nearly well enough be really proficient...

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
It doesn't work that way. Phil Mickelson can't hit a golf ball right handed. He does everything else right-handed. I'm ambedextrous (ironic word), in that I do some things right handed and some left handed. When I've had to have hand or shoulder surgery, I've found that I'm inept at the tasks which have been assigned to the other side. I bat either way. Yes, I can do a better job than most on my off hand with throwing, etc., but not nearly well enough be really proficient...
Yeah. I didn't really think so. Being kind of flip.

I got pretty proficient in high school basketball shooting from either side, but was always better right handed.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
Joe Namath would like a word...

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Jack Coker predicts Alabama starting qb

Not sure if it's ok on this site to link to a pay site (free article), so if not then I totally understand the deletion. (In that case, it's Tua)

https://247sports.com/college/alaba...71-E5-1D-BF-34180324_124809AlabamaCrimsonTide
Totally agree. I feel Tua will start against Louisville. If Jalen is still with the team in the fall he will be backup with the opportunity to reclaim the starting role if Tua starts throwing too many INT's.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Ambidexterity (or dexterity in general) has to do with how one's brain is wired...some of that is innate (born with it) while other traits can be "learned" or developed. I am right handed, but my father taught me to switch hit...remember the 10,000 hour principle: if you are good at anything you have spent 10,000 hours doing it.

Years (decades) ago AU had a QB who could throw with either hand. He was supposed to be dangerous as he could roll out in either direction. Never heard much out of him for some reason...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Ambidexterity (or dexterity in general) has to do with how one's brain is wired...some of that is innate (born with it) while other traits can be "learned" or developed. I am right handed, but my father taught me to switch hit...remember the 10,000 hour principle: if you are good at anything you have spent 10,000 hours doing it.

Years (decades) ago AU had a QB who could throw with either hand. He was supposed to be dangerous as he could roll out in either direction. Never heard much out of him for some reason...
Maybe Tua is ambidextrous? This would be a pretty cool secret weapon.

I used to be. The bike accident from 2016 has made my left hand clumsy and I now get tendonitis pretty bad. Most people actually thought I was left handed. I can throw with either hand (no heat or accuracy with the left anymore). The only thing I did mostly right handed was write. I have had to learn to do things right handed. After almost 2 years I look natural doing things right handed.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-hitting-right-handed/?utm_term=.6b80f77e6ffe

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
My old man made me learn to play golf right handed so I didn't mess up my baseball swing (left). Later I inherited 3 full left handed sets of clubs from my grandpa. I tried out golf from the other side (thinking it would come naturally) and it was like I had never played the game before.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Same (in pretty much every respect) for Tim Couch. I seem to remember his high school video showing him throwing tight spirals with both hands simultaneously...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Totally agree. I feel Tua will start against Louisville. If Jalen is still with the team in the fall he will be backup with the opportunity to reclaim the starting role if Tua starts throwing too many INT's.
I wouldn't be surprised to see both QBs play against Louisville. Most Saban QB competitions aren't just over and done with by fall camp. He usually runs two QBs out there in the first game. Only notable time he didn't really do that was with Coker and Sims. Wouldn't surprise me to see him give Jalen one more chance in a live fire scenario. My prediction is he will look good and probably improved but just not as good as Tua. I just think that after all Jalen has given to this team that coach will let him fling the ball when it counts one more time. Could be wrong though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
My old man made me learn to play golf right handed so I didn't mess up my baseball swing (left). Later I inherited 3 full left handed sets of clubs from my grandpa. I tried out golf from the other side (thinking it would come naturally) and it was like I had never played the game before.
I can't imagine anyone making their kids learn to play golf...:smile:

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Another "Bingo!" for B1GTide - Tua's probably more elusive as well and not terribly far behind in the solid specimen status, either, powerlifting personal bests notwithstanding...
It is hard for me to forget the almost immediate change that happened on the field as Tua came onto the field during the NC game. Even after the first Offensive series of the 2nd half you could feel the upgrade. I am a Jalen fan, and my hope is that he has an incredible season, but the coverage reading and realease with accuracy is not likely to match Tua. Just how it is. Doesn't mean Jalen can't be successful. But our Defense went into the locker room on their heels and getting tired. To me....it looked like they came onto the field with more energy and confidence in the 3rd. They did their part.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised to see both QBs play against Louisville. Most Saban QB competitions aren't just over and done with by fall camp. He usually runs two QBs out there in the first game. Only notable time he didn't really do that was with Coker and Sims. Wouldn't surprise me to see him give Jalen one more chance in a live fire scenario. My prediction is he will look good and probably improved but just not as good as Tua. I just think that after all Jalen has given to this team that coach will let him fling the ball when it counts one more time. Could be wrong though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I wouldn't either but I hope it doesn't last that long. I rather Tua get all/most of the practice reps with the 1s earlier rather than later.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.