Alabama QB competition article - Page 2
Page 2 of 314 FirstFirst 1234567891252102 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Alabama QB competition article

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    No doubt, as teams get more film and make him the centerpiece of their defensive game plan, it will get tougher. But it's one thing to game plan and an entirely different animal going out there and executing it. It is MUCH, MUCH easier to execute a gameplan when you're facing a QB who struggles to see the field past his first read and also struggles with accuracy. The execution component is fairly simple.

However, when the defense is facing a quarterback who has great pocket awareness, field vision, a quick release and pin point accuracy. It severely, severely limits what they can do from not only a schematic standpoint, but an execution standpoint. When you're required to cover the entire field there are A LOT of one on one situations and more than likely at least one man running wide open. That's not even talking about what it does to the running game. It instantly gets defenders out of the box.
    This, and he will get better as well. So, even though teams will be able to game plan more for him his growth as a QB should match if not surpass the impact better game planning will have.

Quote Originally Posted by JTBama View Post
    I think this is one aspect that gets overlooked in Tuas game, I've said for a while the kid can run . He's always a threat to take off with the ball and opposing defences will not be able to prepare for him in a one dimensional scheme.
    He can definitely run. But personally, I hope he runs as little as possible or at least stops trying to run dudes over quite as much. I'm hoping that his willingness to be physical was in part because of the situation he was in. He needs to avoid big hits when possible.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Also keep in mind that you really don't lose much from Jalen to Tua as a running threat. Tua averaged 4.9 YPC last year as a runner. Jalen averaged 5.0 YPC his freshman year. Jalen is faster, but Tua is quicker.

IMO, every aspect of your offense will be more difficult to defend with Tua at QB. Love Jalen, but Tua is just better.
    I really don't want that kid running unless he just absolutely has to. I don't think we can afford to lose him, and he looks a lot less beefy than Jalen physically.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    This, and he will get better as well. So, even though teams will be able to game plan more for him his growth as a QB should match if not surpass the impact better game planning will have.

He can definitely run. But personally, I hope he runs as little as possible or at least stops trying to run dudes over quite as much. I'm hoping that his willingness to be physical was in part because of the situation he was in. He needs to avoid big hits when possible.
    I don't think you'll need to utilize his running threats as much due to his passing game but running over that defender in the Georgia game was probably something most QBs would attempt in that situation given youre in the midst of a possible game winning drive. There will be times when that toughness is needed
    "I could tell they really didn't want to play against us any longer." - Alabama defensive end Jesse Williams

BamaNation All-American

I don't think you'll need to utilize his running threats as much due to his passing game but running over that defender in the Georgia game was probably something most QBs would attempt in that situation given youre in the midst of a possible game winning drive. There will be times when that toughness is needed
    Oh yea I agree. I just hope he doesn't do it against someone like Mercer.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    No doubt, as teams get more film and make him the centerpiece of their defensive game plan, it will get tougher. But it's one thing to game plan and an entirely different animal going out there and executing it. It is MUCH, MUCH easier to execute a gameplan when you're facing a QB who struggles to see the field past his first read and also struggles with accuracy. The execution component is fairly simple.

However, when the defense is facing a quarterback who has great pocket awareness, field vision, a quick release and pin point accuracy. It severely, severely limits what they can do from not only a schematic standpoint, but an execution standpoint. When you're required to cover the entire field there are A LOT of one on one situations and more than likely at least one man running wide open. That's not even talking about what it does to the running game. It instantly gets defenders out of the box.
    And I think the decision will also have a big impact on Bama's running game. With Jalen at QB, defenses crowded the line and dared Bama to throw. With a more serious threat at QB, you have to back out of the box a bit and that opens running lanes for Damien, Najee & Co.
    Time will tell.
    If I was Jalen's father, I'd be asking NFL scouts to look at my son's measurables and film and given him some hard but honest advice as to where his future lies. Tim Tebow rode his "I refuse to play any position but QB" strategy all the way to the sidelines of SEC football games as a commentator. Antwaan Randle El had a successful NFL career as a receiver.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    And I think the decision will also have a big impact on Bama's running game. With Jalen at QB, defenses crowded the line and dared Bama to throw. With a more serious threat at QB, you have to back out of the box a bit and that opens running lanes for Damien, Najee & Co.
    Time will tell.
    If I was Jalen's father, I'd be asking NFL scouts to look at my son's measurables and film and given him some hard but honest advice as to where his future lies. Tim Tebow rode his "I refuse to play any position but QB" strategy all the way to the sidelines of SEC football games as a commentator. Antwaan Randle El had a successful NFL career as a receiver.
    Yep, I'd be doing the same thing. Doing that doesn't mean Jalen doesn't have a chance to still be a quarterback in college, possibly even at Alabama. Though I'd say it is a long shot at Bama. But at least you're getting information on what Jalen may have to do if he has dreams of the NFL. Yeah, Tebow stubbornly Tor-"Tebow"-ed his NFL career.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-SEC

Thing is, we can probably call the exact same plays for Tua as we did for Jalen with a lot of RPO stuff, but get different play outcomes. Tua's reads will tend more toward giving the ball to the RB and/or making the throw versus taking off and running. Toward the end of last season our 'RPO' really just turned into a light zone read play b/c Jalen almost never pulled the trigger on the "P" part of the plan.

BamaNation All-SEC

Time will tell.
    That's good advise. As great of an athlete as he is, I'd imagine he's got the foundation to be able to make the transition to a couple different positions.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Oh yea I agree. I just hope he doesn't do it against someone like Mercer.
    I really think we'd be just fine eliminating any called qb runs with Tua under center. I think we're going to be amazed at how much he will open up the offensive running lanes for our running backs because teams will be forced to honestly cover the entire field.

Tua will have to scramble and run some...that's football, but not anywhere like we did with Jalen. And yes, in a crunch sitation, run a naked bootleg or a QB draw, but only when the defense is not looking for it. His legs are good and he'll make yardage in those situations.

Foremost, let that boy spin that ball from the pocket. That's what he does!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I really think we'd be just fine eliminating any called qb runs with Tua under center. I think we're going to be amazed at how much he will open up the offensive running lanes for our running backs because teams will be forced to honestly cover the entire field.

Tua will have to scramble and run some...that's football, but not anywhere like we did with Jalen. And yes, in a crunch sitation, run a naked bootleg or a QB draw, but only when the defense is not looking for it. His legs are good and he'll make yardage in those situations.

The important thing is, he's got the wheels if needed:-)
    "I could tell they really didn't want to play against us any longer." - Alabama defensive end Jesse Williams

BamaNation First Team

Thing is, Jalen will have a good spring, like last year, but in real live games, against good defenses whose real intent is to take his head off, he'll struggle. When he's doing well in spring practices or scrimmages, though, some people will think he's all of a sudden better.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post

I think that you underestimate the value of having a QB who is a threat to run, running an offense that has him as a designed runner out of the same formations from which he can either hand the ball off or drop back to pass. Even the NFL has begun to adopt RPO plays because they really make plays more difficult to defend. Remove the designed QB runs and you make the job much easier for the defense.

Time will tell.
    I am in 100% agreement with these points. Running game will definitely take off with Tua handing off to actual running backs, who will now find real holes to run through, with the defenses backed off the LOS to respect our passing attack.

Nearly impossible for me to believe Jalen can suddenly change his MO. IMO, he needs to select the best alternative position, if he aspires to play in the NFL. I love Jalen and hope he stays at Bama regardless. But, the offense will be much more multifunctional with Tua. And, we will need the offense to carry the load next year until the defense comes around with more experience.