Alabama QB competition article - Page 3
Page 3 of 314 FirstFirst 123456789101353103 ... LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 4079
  1. #27
    BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    4,817

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    Like everyone here, I want nothing more than a repeat of a championship season, then another, then another. But I will say that just because Tua had the magic hand against Georgia doesn't mean he is going to win the Heisman. Once people have film on him and gameplan for his abilities he will have days where he does not get to be the highlight reel, but of course, that's why the other 84 guys are there, right?

    I don't expect CNS to say one word about who is going to start against Louisville, period. Not even the day of the game. I think you are going to see another McCarron/Simms deal where he will just say that we have good qb's who we have trust in and leave it at that. If one of these guys is going to transfer it will not be because of anything Coach says publicly.

    rtr
    Tell me how you game plan for accurate throws, looking off safeties, and understanding defenses. That's what a quarterback does. We've forgotten that because frankly the last one we had was AJ. That offense was almost unstoppable. He knew defenses and changed plays and therefore began to dictate the pace of the game. Tua has shown the potential to be the same. There is no game plan to stop execution, it comes down to your guy being better than our guy. I like our chances in those battles.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

  2. Advertisement
  3. #28
    FB Moderator Bamabuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Posts
    23,365

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I think that you underestimate the value of having a QB who is a threat to run, running an offense that has him as a designed runner out of the same formations from which he can either hand the ball off or drop back to pass. Even the NFL has begun to adopt RPO plays because they really make plays more difficult to defend. Remove the designed QB runs and you make the job much easier for the defense.
    Agreed, I'd just add with any designed runs, they need to be done in a judicious manner. They need to be ran enough for the other team to have to spend practice time defending it and it's in the back of their minds. But not so much that they aren't surprised or caught off guard when we do it.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

    "It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

    "If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

  4. #29
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    10,200

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I think that you underestimate the value of having a QB who is a threat to run, running an offense that has him as a designed runner out of the same formations from which he can either hand the ball off or drop back to pass. Even the NFL has begun to adopt RPO plays because they really make plays more difficult to defend. Remove the designed QB runs and you make the job much easier for the defense.
    Or maybe the state of QB play in the NFL is suffering from a lack of true, drop back, pocket passers coming out of college. I think we've seen so much of this RPO stuff in recent years in college that we've forgotten what a qb that beats people with his knowledge of the game, pocket presence and arm talent really looks like.

    You may be correct and I could be underestimating the RPO impact. Not doubting for a moment that Tua can do it, either. But, my point is I think we'd be just fine running a standard pro-set offense with a player like Tua.

    I think CNS has experimented with the dual threat QB since AJ, but based on his recents comments, I think he's moving back toward his preference of a tactician at QB.

  5. #30
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    10,200

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderFan View Post
    Tell me how you game plan for accurate throws, looking off safeties, and understanding defenses. That's what a quarterback does. We've forgotten that because frankly the last one we had was AJ. That offense was almost unstoppable. He knew defenses and changed plays and therefore began to dictate the pace of the game. Tua has shown the potential to be the same. There is no game plan to stop execution, it comes down to your guy being better than our guy. I like our chances in those battles.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This! Didn't see your post before I posted.

  6. #31
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    10,200

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Agreed, I'd just add with any designed runs, they need to be done in a judicious manner. They need to be ran enough for the other team to have to spend practice time defending it and it's in the back of their minds. But not so much that they aren't surprised or caught off guard when we do it.
    This is what I was referring to earlier. We don't need a QB having 10 rushes a game. 1 or 2 that keeps the defense honest with a QB like Tua would be just fine IMO.

  7. #32
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    456

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderFan View Post
    Tell me how you game plan for accurate throws, looking off safeties, and understanding defenses. That's what a quarterback does. We've forgotten that because frankly the last one we had was AJ. That offense was almost unstoppable. He knew defenses and changed plays and therefore began to dictate the pace of the game. Tua has shown the potential to be the same. There is no game plan to stop execution, it comes down to your guy being better than our guy. I like our chances in those battles.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Plus, Tagovailoa could actually read the defenses and he was a true freshman.

  8. #33
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    17,186

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    This is what I was referring to earlier. We don't need a QB having 10 rushes a game. 1 or 2 that keeps the defense honest with a QB like Tua would be just fine IMO.
    I agree that the 15 that Jalen ran was too many, but 2 would be too few. Defenses would spend zero time preparing for that, and the defenders would just accept a few longer runs from Tua if they only happened twice per game. In other words, you either have your QB run the ball 5+ times/game, or you scrap it altogether. I just don't see Saban scrapping it altogether. It is too valuable a weapon.

    You can't be afraid of injury. Part of Tua's game is his ability to run the ball. You make him a weaker QB if you take that away.

  9. #34
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    10,200

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post

    Part of Tua's game is his ability to run the ball. You make him a weaker QB if you take that away.
    I'll have to totally disagree with you on this. He doesn't need to be able to "run" to be a great QB. Unplanned scrambles aside, Tua can be a great, drop back passer if he's never asked to run a RPO.

  10. #35
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    17,186

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I'll have to totally disagree with you on this. He doesn't need to be able to "run" to be a great QB. Unplanned scrambles aside, Tua can be a great, drop back passer if he's never asked to run a RPO.
    Nope - he is too short. Move him around or he will get 5+ passes knocked down at the LOS every time he faces a decent defensive line.

    ETA - we just have to agree to disagree. You want Tua to become a different player. He is great just the way he is. Let him play.
    Last edited by B1GTide; February 28th, 2018 at 12:35 PM.

  11. #36
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,838

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Nope - he is too short. Move him around or he will get 5+ passes knocked down at the LOS every time he faces a decent defensive line.
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I'll have to totally disagree with you on this. He doesn't need to be able to "run" to be a great QB. Unplanned scrambles aside, Tua can be a great, drop back passer if he's never asked to run a RPO.


    Tua can be a great QB with out the RPO. Tua can also use his mobility and be moved around without the RPO. That said, taking away the RPO and read option game completely also makes Tua a worse QB. All of those things can be and are true.

  12. #37
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    10,200

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Nope - he is too short. Move him around or he will get 5+ passes knocked down at the LOS every time he faces a decent defensive line.
    Again, I disagree. I think you are underestimating his pocket presence, footwork and vision. He's beyond his years in everyone of these areas.

  13. #38
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    17,186

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Again, I disagree. I think you are underestimating his pocket presence, footwork and vision. He's beyond his years in everyone of these areas.
    It's fine that we disagree. I am not tearing Tua down by pointing out his strengths. I am just making it clear that I believe that he will need to leverage ALL of those strengths to have success against the better defenses in college. He is just too short to be a successful pocket passer, IMO. Even Mayfield does not throw from a pocket because of his height, and he plays in a league that barely fields defensive units.

  14. #39
    BamaNation First Team Wilson Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    510

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Nope - he is too short. Move him around or he will get 5+ passes knocked down at the LOS every time he faces a decent defensive line.
    I hope you are wrong. I think people said the same about Drew Brees and Russell Wilson. Maybe Tua will fall into that category that bucks the thinking that a good QB has to be 6'4"+. He looked pretty darn good against Georgia, and their D-Line was pretty high up there last year. Wish we could have seen him some against Clemson's D-Line. Perhaps his super fast release will keep D-Linemen from getting their hands up in time?

    I doubt there is much competition for the position. Jalen isn't a bad QB and I like him a lot. Tua just has an unbelievable ability to throw to a spot because he sees where everyone will be. We've seen him manipulate coverage to open receivers up also. Jalen does ok at this, but Tua is light years ahead of everyone in the NCAA at this skill. I don't think Jalen has anything to be ashamed of if he is beaten out by a probable phenom.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!

[CLICK] GET BAMA Calendar