Alabama QB competition article - Page 314
Page 314 of 314 FirstFirst ... 214264304307308309310311312313314
Results 4,070 to 4,079 of 4079
    BamaNation First Team

Re: Alabama QB competition article

Quote Originally Posted by RammerJammer15 View Post
    You don’t have to put up big numbers to be a high draft pick, it’s all about the intangibles and upside.

Btw, Tua doesn’t strike me as a dude worried about numbers, he’s a team player.
    Maybe back in the day, but that's not the reality these days. The elite players today want to put up pretty statistics. They want to be on ESPN highlights. They want All American honors and to be a Heisman candidate because, celebrity aside, and what young blue chip player doesn't like celebrity, but those things can, in fact, impact the numbers in a NFL contract.

As for Tua being a team player, at least he's not talking about being a brand, but you can be assured he wants to play as much as possible.
    Last edited by Crimson White; September 9th, 2018 at 07:32 PM.

2. Advertisement

First off, I don't think we have to worry about Taulia de-committing over how CNS has done in regards to the qbs so far. If he de-commits it will be for other reasons.
    Everyone knows who the starter is. Problem for other teams now is that if CNS and Hurts have agreed to redshirt Hurts or whatever he still has two more games he can play in at any point in the season so teams still have to somewhat game plan because Hurts can come in at any time . In this last game he actually looked pretty good on his passing ( yeah, I know who we were playing) so teams will have to plan for that, too.
    I really don't understand all of the hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth. I really don't think CNS has lost all sense or football knowledge yet.
    Formerly known as BamaInCummingGa

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson White View Post
    Tua didn't get nearly the playing time, especially in the first 2 games last year, that Jalen is getting now, in spite of the fact that Tua was actually being developed as a true freshman that was #2 on the depth chart. I've never seen Nick Saban play the backup as much as he has played Hurts these 2 games.
    That's kind of... hyperbolic. Tua didn't play the first game because it was a tight game. The second game he got 9 attempts. What does Hurts have? He's had 9 attempts each game. There's not some giant difference in how much Tua played in blowouts last year and how much Hurts played in blowouts this year.

The biggest difference is the magnitude of the first two blowouts, Alabama didn't really have a blowout like that until Vanderbilt, and guess what happened that game? Hurts got 17 attempts and Tua got 10. So far Tua has 16 and 19. As far as I can tell Saban is playing the QBs pretty much how he played them last year in blowouts, in terms of distribution. The only difference is he's inserting Hurts a bit earlier, and then putting Tua back in later, that's it.

The thing to look for is if Saban plays Hurts like this in a tight game. I seriously doubt he will though, but I will concede if it's a 1 score game or something and he trots Hurts out there, then yes that's a risk he shouldn't be taking and out of character for him since he has a starter. I don't see that happening though. I see him distributing time like he typically has once the game is well in hand. I would also point out that Hurts, given the whole 26-2 thing and what not, is not exactly a huge risk when he does come into the game, so of course Saban can be more comfortable putting him in, why wouldn't he? We all know Hurts isn't a big liability to throw the game away.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInMo1 View Post
    First off, I don't think we have to worry about Taulia de-committing over how CNS has done in regards to the qbs so far. If he de-commits it will be for other reasons.
    Everyone knows who the starter is. Problem for other teams now is that if CNS and Hurts have agreed to redshirt Hurts or whatever he still has two more games he can play in at any point in the season so teams still have to somewhat game plan because Hurts can come in at any time . In this last game he actually looked pretty good on his passing ( yeah, I know who we were playing) so teams will have to plan for that, too.
    I really don't understand all of the hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth. I really don't think CNS has lost all sense or football knowledge yet.
    You know, I don't see Taulia de-committing either...............I am looking forward to what he can do as well as Tyson

BamaNation Second Team

My opinion...take it for what itís worth...

Jalen Hurts is engaged, and wants to be a productive member of this team...even if it means as the back-up quarterback. He is one play away from being the starter at any point in the season. He is also our best option as a second-string QB.

For all of you who feel that Tua is bothered, at all, by the snaps that Jalen is receiving...go back and watch his display of excitement at the successful plays that Jalen made Saturday.

Coach Saban, if nothing else, is methodical to the point of nausea. If you think that he hasnít got everyone on the same page with his overall plan, then you havenít been watching his Alabama teams over the past 10+ years.

Jalen and Coach have come to an understanding...Jalen has accepted the backup role because he is a team player, and he loves his team...and Coach has agreed to develope Jalen to the best of his ability within this system because of Jalenís devotion to the team.

We should all respect these terms...because Jalen is our best option if we were to lose Tua to injury this year.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by BearFoot View Post

Jalen is a team player, and he loves his team...and... Jalen’s devotion to the team. .
    Sorry, but after his little speech about "my responsibility is to myself and my parents" and his remarks about having made his brand, I seriously doubt his devotion to the team. I mean, it's not like a he said/she said, second hand source. I sat there and watched him and heard him say it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson White View Post
    Sorry, but after his little speech about "my responsibility is to myself and my parents" and his remarks about having made his brand, I seriously doubt his devotion to the team. I mean, it's not like a he said/she said, second hand source. I sat there and watched him and heard him say it.
    You don't listen to Saban about building brands obvioulsy. It is something they are all taught when they step on campus. It's obvious you don't like Jalen but he has been a great ambassador for our university and handled himself admirably throughout this process for the most part. I know you want Tua and we all do but don't drag Jalen through the dirt in the process.

9. September 9th, 2018, 08:35 PM

Reason
    Rumor

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Calm and cool.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation All-American BamaDMD's Avatar

Tua's dad is pretty cool. Doesn't seam like a helicopter parent and is more about the team than the heisman stuff.

M
    ash

BamaNation First Team

Donít know if anyone else caught the Ravens Bengals game tonight but I liked how they brought in Lamar Jackson in on the jet sweeps. Defense had to account for him every time and it sometimes left someone else open. If somehow Jalen stays and plays longer than four games Iíd love to see this at least introduced into the offense. JMO