Alabama QB competition article - Page 4
Page 4 of 314 FirstFirst 12345678910111454104 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: Alabama QB competition article

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson Monroe View Post
    I hope you are wrong. I think people said the same about Drew Brees and Russell Wilson. Maybe Tua will fall into that category that bucks the thinking that a good QB has to be 6'4"+. He looked pretty darn good against Georgia, and their D-Line was pretty high up there last year. Wish we could have seen him some against Clemson's D-Line. Perhaps his super fast release will keep D-Linemen from getting their hands up in time?
    The Saints run a very different type of offense to leverage Brees with his height restrictions. They throw to RBs more than any other team in the history of the game, and they create passing "lanes" in their blocking schemes to allow for his shorter passing routes. Long pass routes are not impacted by QB height since the ball comes out of the hand with a much higher trajectory.

The same can essentially be said for Wilson - very different offensive plays called to minimize his height restrictions.

Also, remember that several of Tua's best plays against GA were running plays. He converted several 3rd downs with his legs in that game. Do we really want to take that away just to make him into a "pocket passer"?

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team Wilson Monroe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post

Also, remember that several of Tua's best plays against GA were running plays. He converted several 3rd downs with his legs in that game. Do we really want to take that away just to make him into a "pocket passer"?
    Certainly not. He makes good plays with his legs. I doubt that part of his game is abandoned. He looked good to me throwing from the pocket any time he got to play last year, so I am not going to say that he "needs" to be moved around to throw a good ball short in the middle of the field until I see evidence of this.

I don't really watch pro ball, so I didn't know about their schemes much. I think Brees threw a good bit of inside slants to a TE a couple of years back. Were the throwing lanes designed for that in the O-Line blocking?

I'm not worrying too much about Tua's height. The coaching staff thought about that when they recruited him. From what I understand Coach Saban has strict height and weight criteria for each position. When recruiting height and weight play a big factor into whether or not they recruit a kid and what position they recruit him for. There was no doubt that Tua could only be a QB so Saban and staff must have thought he had some superior skills that made up for the height deficiency or they wouldn't have recruited him. I trust their judgment and I'm sure they will develop a game plan to work around it.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by PA Tide Fan View Post
    I'm not worrying too much about Tua's height.
    After watching Tua all last year, and not just in the title game, I am not at all worried about the kid's height.

BamaNation All-American

Does anyone have a good feel or reliable information on how tall Tua actually is? I think he is listed at 6'1" but would be curious how accurate that is. FWIW, Wilson is listed at 5'11", Brees at 6'0", Aaron Rodgers at 6'2", and Brady at 6'4"

But regardless of his height it would be idiotic to not use Tua's mobility. My biggest concern with him running is injury but there are QBs like Watson who are good at avoiding the big hits when they can and only being more physical when necessary. I hope Tua can learn those skills. But, QB runs aren't the only way to use his mobility. You can still move the pocket to create better throwing lanes and then he can obviously use his scramble ability. If I were Saban and co. I would call up the Seahawks because IIRC they practice the QB scramble in a specific way with their WRs (maybe they have secondary routes or something I can't remember) and they have found a ton of success with it.

Tua's delivery and anticipation will be his best tools to combat his height while in the pocket. I don't know if batted balls would be my biggest concern but it will still impact short and intermediate throws to some extent. If he really is 6'1" it should be less of a problem (also idk his arm length but that plays a role too).

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Does anyone have a good feel or reliable information on how tall Tua actually is? I think he is listed at 6'1" but would be curious how accurate that is. FWIW, Wilson is listed at 5'11", Brees at 6'0", Aaron Rodgers at 6'2", and Brady at 6'4"
    Here is a photo of Jalen and Tua together and he appears to be a about an inch shorter than Jalen and I think Jalen is a true 6' 2". I think he is 6' 1" and that is tall enough.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post

But regardless of his height it would be idiotic to not use Tua's mobility. My biggest concern with him running is injury but there are QBs like Watson who are good at avoiding the big hits when they can and only being more physical when necessary. I hope Tua can learn those skills. But, QB runs aren't the only way to use his mobility. You can still move the pocket to create better throwing lanes and then he can obviously use his scramble ability. If I were Saban and co. I would call up the Seahawks because IIRC they practice the QB scramble in a specific way with their WRs (maybe they have secondary routes or something I can't remember) and they have found a ton of success with it.

Tua's delivery and anticipation will be his best tools to combat his height while in the pocket. I don't know if batted balls would be my biggest concern but it will still impact short and intermediate throws to some extent. If he really is 6'1" it should be less of a problem (also idk his arm length but that plays a role too).
    Articles discussing Tua winning the Elite 11 MVP list him at 6'1. Pretty sure Elite 11 and The Opening provide those measurements, so the 6'1 provided by UA seems right.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

His footwork will alleviate some of the concern. He's probably closer to 6 ft. even. He's slightly shorter than Jalen. But I'm not worried about it either.

Speaking of his footwork. If you watch the video series Matt Wyatt has done you can see how good his footwork in the pocket really is. I know he's worked on it, but it also seems like it's second nature to his innate skills. In one of the breakdowns, Wyatt notes how he had to step up into the pocket to throw a screen pass. He regularly steps up in the pocket or to the side and he creates his own throwing lanes.

I just don't think it's something to worry over.

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Saban has never done this and I would be surprised but not sure he has had 2 QB's quite like this.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Saban has said this numerous times since the championship game. I think this is him tipping his hand a bit as to who is the front runner and odds on favorite to be the QB.
    My read on the coaches comments is that going into the Spring Practices, Jalen will need to show a marked improvement in his passing ability to move back into the lead.
    WE HAVE AN EMBARRASSMENT OF RICHES AT QUARTERBACK...

Tua has proved to be the better passer, and no slouch when it's time to run the ball.
    Jalen has proved himself to be one of the better Quarterbacks who can run the ball.
    We can win most games with either. A few late season games will require more passing...
    WE WILL SEE HOW BOTH GUYS HOLD UP UNDER THE PRESSURE.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJ View Post
    Saban has never done this and I would be surprised but not sure he has had 2 QB's quite like this.
    He had 2 qb systems at LSU.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

Louisville Kentucky, via Birmingham Alabama