Alabama QB competition article

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Bama would still pass the ball with Jalen at QB. Tim Tebow wasn't used solely as a running QB during his Freshman year. Same situation applies here.
Maybe so, but unless Jalen improves his passing dramatically we'd be faced with a lot of 3rd and long situations when Jalen is in there assuming he tries a pass on 1st or 2nd down and it's incomplete. On 3rd and long Jalen would have a slim chance of converting and if Tua were brought in on all the 3rd and long's it would put a tremendous amount of pressure on him to try and clean up the mess created on 1st and 2nd down.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Honestly, unless something happens, I think this is Tua's team now. That kid is super super talented.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'm still not sure what advantage using them both during games would bring. Jalen isn't any better of a runner than Tua, he maybe faster at top in speed. But Tua is quicker behind the LOS. Tua runs the RPO's better. From a passing standpoint the moment you bring Jalen in, the effectiveness of any passing game goes down. Jalen doesn't bring a skill set to the field that Tua doesn't already have in some capacity. Again, I don't see the benefit. I see more downside.
Maybe so, but unless Jalen improves his passing dramatically we'd be faced with a lot of 3rd and long situations when Jalen is in there assuming he tries a pass on 1st or 2nd down and it's incomplete. On 3rd and long Jalen would have a slim chance of converting and if Tua were brought in on all the 3rd and long's it would put a tremendous amount of pressure on him to try and clean up the mess created on 1st and 2nd down.
It all depends on how it would be set up. In my preferred scenario Jalen would rarely, if ever, be on the field for 3 straight downs like that. And, I can think of a few benefits

1. It adds a wrinkle that teams have to plan for and opens up the possibility of more wrinkles with both QBs on the field at once and probably many more ideas that better football minds can come up with. It's just more for other teams to game plan for.

2. Tua is a good runner but he isn't as strong as Jalen is and I think Jalen can take more hits overall so this could help limit the hits on Tua. I also think Jalen is a more lethal runner. It's hard to tell because the small sample size from Tua but Jalen breaks runs of 40+ yards at times. I'm not convinced Tua can do that as consistently.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It all depends on how it would be set up. In my preferred scenario Jalen would rarely, if ever, be on the field for 3 straight downs like that. And, I can think of a few benefits

1. It adds a wrinkle that teams have to plan for and opens up the possibility of more wrinkles with both QBs on the field at once and probably many more ideas that better football minds can come up with. It's just more for other teams to game plan for.

2. Tua is a good runner but he isn't as strong as Jalen is and I think Jalen can take more hits overall so this could help limit the hits on Tua. I also think Jalen is a more lethal runner. It's hard to tell because the small sample size from Tua but Jalen breaks runs of 40+ yards at times. I'm not convinced Tua can do that as consistently.
I could see benefits in occasional situations. But not in every game. You start bringing him in every game for a "wrinkle or two" and it no longer has the "wrinkle" effect. It becomes a part of your regular game plan that there is plenty of tape on.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I'm still not sure what advantage using them both during games would bring. Jalen isn't any better of a runner than Tua, he maybe faster at top in speed. But Tua is quicker behind the LOS. Tua runs the RPO's better. From a passing standpoint the moment you bring Jalen in, the effectiveness of any passing game goes down. Jalen doesn't bring a skill set to the field that Tua doesn't already have in some capacity. Again, I don't see the benefit. I see more downside.
Agreed, usually a two qb system is used for an instinctive advantage or to utilize the skill set of one qb over another. I would assume Jalens best asset would be his legs but I don't think you're losing anything by having Tua run if needed. He's very capable , also.....the whole purpose I would think if Tua is the starting qb is that his passing game is viewed as superior which opens up both facets if the offense which was the intended purpose to begin with.The run game will open up, the passing game will open up and personally in my opinion....there's not a need for the attention to be drawn with two QBs in the game on one play or a trade-off of a qb coming in for a down for a specific designed play. I think that could actually do more harm than goodas well as telegraph it's intentions. Again, just my honest opinion.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
2 QB system:

Pro:
Different skill sets for opposing D to prepare for
Keep QB fresh
Use it like a Wildcat package with one of them
Nobody transfers (maybe)

Con:
Reps for the "starting" QB
Division on team
One is a lefty the other isn't. Receivers get two different spins, and that is important. Protections are different.
Speed of delivery is different for receivers. Also throws them off.

Probably a lot more, but just a few off the top of my head. I fall on the con side myself.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
2 QB system:

Pro:
Keep QB fresh
Nobody transfers (maybe)

Con:
Division on team
One is a lefty the other isn't. Receivers get two different spins, and that is important. Protections are different.

Probably a lot more, but just a few off the top of my head. I fall on the con side myself.
I think division on the team is the big one you mentioned. For a 2 QB system to work Saban would need to convince the team to buy into the idea and I'm not sure he could. Last season we had Foster and Ridley frustrated with Jalen and it could be the same with the WR's we have now. Looking at the receivers we have next season they are all guys in the 2017 class with Tua. I think guys that come to a school at the same time are going to have a bond with each other that they don't have with someone from another class, so perhaps these WR's will be even more adamant about Tua being the QB.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I see very little value in having a 2 QB system unless you've got Joe Willy and the Snake on the sideline. :wink:

If we are deciding between Tua and Jalen it's much easier IMO.

Remember how effective we were in 2012? I think if we settle on Tua and just run a similar style we'll be just as dominate...maybe even more so with Tua's legs being better than AJ's.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Anyone in favor of a 2 QB system must have forgotten the Zow/Watts debacle. I know, we have used two in some of Bear's systems, and other teams have used two more recently. But all I can think of is Zow/Watts.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Speaking of Zow and Watts, though their strengths were different, they were fairly equal in talent and ability to "matriculate the ball down the field". With the risk of offending some fans, Tagovailoa is wayy better than Hurts, and better than Zow and Watts too, for that matter.

Last edited:

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
how could a 2 QB system possibly help us in games other than Mercer or Vandy? also, i wouldnt be as concerned about batted balls with Tua. His release is higher than Jalen and that will help prevent some.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
2 QB system:

Pro:
Keep QB fresh
Nobody transfers (maybe)

Con:
Division on team

Good list, but IMO the primary "Con:" in the Tua/Jalen scenario is that you leave the far superior QB on the bench when the other one is in. You can also lose rhythm by swapping them. You can also be seduced to reconsider your choice (unlikely) or incite the pro Jalen forces, if Tua has a mediocre game and Jalen gets hot and goes 8-8 in that same game - it could easily happen.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Good list, but IMO the primary "Con:" in the Tua/Jalen scenario is that you leave the far superior QB on the bench when the other one is in. You can also lose rhythm by swapping them. You can also be seduced to reconsider your choice (unlikely) or incite the pro Jalen forces, if Tua has a mediocre game and Jalen gets hot and goes 8-8 in that same game - it could easily happen.

Yes. A blip game could be a big division issue. Jalen didn't have a long leash with us fans before half were calling for Tua, so it could just as easily flip back the other way.

I still think one of the bigger issues would be protections. It occurred to me that there will be a good bit of movement along the O-Line this year. Guys knowing (tendencies) where a QB will be when a play breaks down is pretty important for keeping drives alive. Getting the right protection called at the line (new center) will be enough, but knowing which QB is in and how to re-route a D-lineman to give them the most time to make a throw is a feel thing. That's a lot for a retooled O-Line early in the season.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't see the backup having a significant role in each game. Since this thread is already assuming Jalen will be the backup. I simply don't see Saban trying to balance chemistry of the team and the rhythm of game by having these guys both play significant snaps each game. I'll give my prediction that the starter will get the lions share of the first string practice snaps and the lion's share of the snaps during the competitive parts of the game. I could see from time to time Jalen coming in for a snap or two when the game is still competitive. Then re-entering as the full time quarterback during garbage time. But there's just too much that could go wrong by running a two QB system.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Not saying we'll deploy 2 QBs system.. but we've done that during the 2017 season. Jalen would play 1st half, and Tua would play rest of the game. We did that a lot throughout the season. I suspect we'll see the same this fall, only Tua starts this time. Battle will not be settled for a while...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't see the backup having a significant role in each game. Since this thread is already assuming Jalen will be the backup. I simply don't see Saban trying to balance chemistry of the team and the rhythm of game by having these guys both play significant snaps each game. I'll give my prediction that the starter will get the lions share of the first string practice snaps and the lion's share of the snaps during the competitive parts of the game. I could see from time to time Jalen coming in for a snap or two when the game is still competitive. Then re-entering as the full time quarterback during garbage time. But there's just too much that could go wrong by running a two QB system.
Agreed that this seems the most likely. I think the right system could work but I don't think its necessary by any means. Our offense should be deadly enough with the talent Tua will have surrounding him.

Personally, I hope we have some clear sign by the end of the A-day game that this is Tua's team even if Saban doesn't name him the starter outright.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Not saying we'll deploy 2 QBs system.. but we've done that during the 2017 season. Jalen would play 1st half, and Tua would play rest of the game. We did that a lot throughout the season. I suspect we'll see the same this fall, only Tua starts this time. Battle will not be settled for a while...
If you are going to use NC game to go on, I don't see how you see a QB battle not being settled...practically speaking. I mean, that's not a two QB system for success.

I seriosly doubt we'd see a similar scenario in a big game where Tua started and Jalen was called on to come in and save the game.

However, considering the regular season, just reverse the roles from last year and that's how I think this year looks. And it really suits their strengths if you think about it. Tua's the type of QB who should help us get out to quicker leads and Jalen's best suited for salting games away with time consuming running drives.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I wouldn't really call what we used last year as a two qb system. Tua came in when the lead was out of reach in some games but the purpose of using both quarterbacks in the regular season was to get Tua some experience and didn't really incorporate a design. I think you could say next year that if Tua gets the team out to a big lead then you'll see reps for Jalen to keep him fresh but using two quarterbacks when the game is out of reach is quite different than using a two qb system when the game is on the line and for strategic purposes. Though CNS may not publicly state who the starter is until late,I have no doubt personally that the starter will be settled rather quickly than latter.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
If you are going to use NC game to go on, I don't see how you see a QB battle not being settled...practically speaking. I mean, that's not a two QB system for success.

I seriosly doubt we'd see a similar scenario in a big game where Tua started and Jalen was called on to come in and save the game.

However, considering the regular season, just reverse the roles from last year and that's how I think this year looks. And it really suits their strengths if you think about it. Tua's the type of QB who should help us get out to quicker leads and Jalen's best suited for salting games away with time consuming running drives.
Not so sure I agree with that. The offense with jalen was a bit boom or bust. in other words it seemed like either long runs, or getting stuffed and going 3 and out. Defenses knew they could stack the box, it's just every once and a while we'd break a long one. To salt away a game after we have a good lead, we need a steady dose of 4-5 yards runs that keep the sticks and the clock moving, with an occasional play action pass to force defenses back and not let them cram the LOS.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I try to listen very closely to every word Saban says when someone asks him about the QB situation and what I hear leads me to believe that there will not be a 2 QB system. I think he will choose one guy as the clear starter and the other as the backup. I wouldn't rule out Jalen trying a different position if he's OK with that. Jalen has appeared in two championship games now but failed to lead us to victory in either one. It's true that 2 years ago we can't pin the Clemson loss all on Jalen because there was plenty of blame to go around, but it was still a loss. So the goal at Alabama is to win a NC and looking at the stats Jalen is 0 for 2 and Tua is 1 for 1. That's a big factor in Tua's favor.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.