Alabama QB competition article

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I'd just have to point out that Jalen can transfer now, or as I understand it any time prior to the start of the season, use his redshirt year as his transfer year, and still have two full years of eligibility. I think three years at his destination beat out two does it not? I mean I get wanting Hurts to stick around, and may be he will, but three years is better than two in the sense that we probably can all agree he needs stability and development. He doesn't actually gain anything by redshirting at Alabama, he loses by not redshirting at the place he hopes to play.
This^^^^^^

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'd just have to point out that Jalen can transfer now, or as I understand it any time prior to the start of the season, use his redshirt year as his transfer year, and still have two full years of eligibility. I think three years at his destination beat out two does it not? I mean I get wanting Hurts to stick around, and may be he will, but three years is better than two in the sense that we probably can all agree he needs stability and development. He doesn't actually gain anything by redshirting at Alabama, he loses by not redshirting at the place he hopes to play.
Right, but he'd have to sit a year. If he's fine with that he'll probably do as you laid out. If he wants to play right away he should stay and redshirt (if they can work it out) and then transfer and play immediately. Depends if he wants to sit out a year or try and play right away next year..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think either path forward would work for him. It's probably 6 one, half dozen the other. Either way, he's got to take a redshirt year an miss a season of playing football. In the long run, it will probably make him better and more prepared to play when he gets the chance.

I probably was incorrect in my take of why it would be "better" to stay and redshirt here. I didn't think he could "transfer" without graduating and redshirt the same year. Didn't think you could do both in one year.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Right, but he'd have to sit a year. If he's fine with that he'll probably do as you laid out. If he wants to play right away he should stay and redshirt (if they can work it out) and then transfer and play immediately. Depends if he wants to sit out a year or try and play right away next year..
I'm confused because I don't know the transfer rules. It sounds like Jalen is sitting out the 2018 season no matter what. And the question becomes would he sit it out here or somewhere else?

If that's the case it would make very little sense IMO to stay here. Go somewhere and get the playbook under you while you sit out and start building relationships.

I just hope Jalen ends up somewhere that I can root for him and never worry about having to play him.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Man, very few of Saban's decisions make me scratch my head harder than starting Cooper Bateman. I will never understand it.
I think part of it was Bateman's assumed escapability - he was much more nimble than Coker. OM had a very good pass rush and Bama's OL was having pass protection issues. Coker was strong but lumbering and not quick. Worse, he frequently held the ball too long, resulting in many maddening sacks, the first half of the season. He improved dramatically, but at that point I understood it because of OM's pass rush vs Bama's pass pro.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm confused because I don't know the transfer rules. It sounds like Jalen is sitting out the 2018 season no matter what. And the question becomes would he sit it out here or somewhere else?

If that's the case it would make very little sense IMO to stay here. Go somewhere and get the playbook under you while you sit out and start building relationships.

I just hope Jalen ends up somewhere that I can root for him and never worry about having to play him.
I'm not sure either. It would seem unfair and an easy way out if you could combine a transfer with a redshirt and only miss one year of play. Seems like it would happen alot more if a disgruntled player could do that. That's why I thought it would be in his best interest to stay here and redshirt.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
If Jalen does transfer, I wanna thank him for all he did at Alabama, leading Alabama to a SEC Title and two National Title games, not to mention only losing two games as a starter. You can tell he loves being at Alabama.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
It's part of the pressures of a QB, Love Jalens demeanor he is a great asset to our Team and University. With that said he needs to remember he got the job thru attrition and making it some where else won't be a piece a cake.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
This could all go off the rails quick. This part of the article was interesting...

"Coach Saban's job is to do what's best for his team. I have no problem with that," Averion Hurts said. "My job is to do what's best for Jalenand make no mistake, Jalen is a quarterback, and he wants to play quarterback. He loves Alabama, loves Coach Saban and everything about that place. But he wants to play, and he will play…"

Oh really? I'm sure CNS will love that directive...

I feel about 99.99% sure now that the Fall depth chart will be:

QB1 Tua
QB2 Mac

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Don't think the two matter. Tuulia competition will be Tua and then Jones and Tyson.
They don't directly go together, but they are related.

If Jalen transfers, one can presume Tua is the starter. If Tua isn't the starter in 2018, I suspect Taulia doesn't come to Alabama.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Regardless of what Jalen does, he needs to work with a QB guru. If what some of you think is that he is not receiving the proper coaching from our assistants (I'm not in that camp), then he needs the assistance of a paid professional. My guess is that won't help much either. A leopard can't change his spots.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
They don't directly go together, but they are related.

If Jalen transfers, one can presume Tua is the starter. If Tua isn't the starter in 2018, I suspect Taulia doesn't come to Alabama.
I guess...I'm just assuming Tua starting no matter what Jalen does.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This could all go off the rails quick. This part of the article was interesting...

[FONT=&]"Coach Saban's job is to do what's best for his team. I have no problem with that," Averion Hurts said. "My job is to do what's best for Jalen[/FONT][FONT=&]—[/FONT][FONT=&]and make no mistake, Jalen is a quarterback, and he wants to play quarterback. He loves Alabama, loves Coach Saban and everything about that place. But he wants to play, and he will play…"

Oh really? I'm sure CNS will love that directive...

I feel about 99.99% sure now that the Fall depth chart will be:

QB1 Tua
QB2 Mac[/FONT]
I took it to mean "he will play" because if he doesn't win the job back at Bama he will transfer. Seems to fit the context of his comments, as ill timed as they are.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I took it to mean "he will play" because if he doesn't win the job back at Bama he will transfer. Seems to fit the context of his comments, as ill timed as they are.
I took it the same way but more of "He will either play(Start) for you (CNS) or someone else (Transfer)...

So kind of a demand/threat ala the Barnett's

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I took it the same way but more of "He will either play(Start) for you (CNS) or someone else (Transfer)...

So kind of a demand/threat ala the Barnett's
Just making the public statement about considering the transfer is bad no matter how he meant it. But if he thinks he's going to threaten CNS, he might as well go ahead a pull Jalen out right now.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.