Alabama QB competition article - Page 5
Page 5 of 314 FirstFirst 1234567891011121555105 ... LastLast
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Re: Alabama QB competition article

If when the season starts, if both of these quarterbacks are getting significant playing time during games I will be completely shocked. We have one quarterback who can basically do everything you need for a quarterback to do and one who can can't. Outside of Jalen making eye popping, remarkable improvements in the offseason. Why even bother with a two quarterback system? The downside is much greater than any positives we would stand to gain. I hope this doesn't happen.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

2. Advertisement

How a tall a QB is these days has become irrelevant due to the nature of how offensive schemes and play calling have evolved over the years. The only reason it was relevant back in the day is because QBs were more or less full time drop back pocket QB's. Now days, a lot of offenses are ran out of the shotgun with a ton of east and west going on.

With a 2 QB system couldn't opposing teams just load the box when Jalen is in there and drop guys out of the box when Tua is in there? Would we have Jalen in there on running downs and Tua on passing downs? Seems to me it wouldn't be too difficult for opponents to prepare for. A 2 QB system may have worked years ago but with the advances made in the game of football it might be less effective now.

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    He had 2 qb systems at LSU.
    Yeah but that situation was a little different. This article explains his use of that two qb system and why he didn't stay with it.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndica...itory.amp.html
    "I could tell they really didn't want to play against us any longer." - Alabama defensive end Jesse Williams

Quote Originally Posted by PA Tide Fan View Post
    With a 2 QB system couldn't opposing teams just load the box when Jalen is in there and drop guys out of the box when Tua is in there? Would we have Jalen in there on running downs and Tua on passing downs? Seems to me it wouldn't be too difficult for opponents to prepare for. A 2 QB system may have worked years ago but with the advances made in the game of football it might be less effective now.
    Bama would still pass the ball with Jalen at QB. Tim Tebow wasn't used solely as a running QB during his Freshman year. Same situation applies here.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Playing 2 QBs doesn't mean splitting reps evenly or even close to it. I still think if handled well this could work really well. In my version Tua gets a vast majority of the snaps at QB though with Jalen getting a few snaps a game.

Bama would still pass the ball with Jalen at QB. Tim Tebow wasn't used solely as a running QB during his Freshman year. Same situation applies here.
    I'm still not sure what advantage using them both during games would bring. Jalen isn't any better of a runner than Tua, he maybe faster at top in speed. But Tua is quicker behind the LOS. Tua runs the RPO's better. From a passing standpoint the moment you bring Jalen in, the effectiveness of any passing game goes down. Jalen doesn't bring a skill set to the field that Tua doesn't already have in some capacity. Again, I don't see the benefit. I see more downside.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJ View Post
    Saban has never done this and I would be surprised but not sure he has had 2 QB's quite like this.
    To be fair, the last few times I have heard people say "Saban has never done this" he ended up doing it.(Starting a true freshman QB and replacing his starting QB with a true freshman in the NCG). The response I had to both of those was "he's never had this situation before" and I think that may apply here as well.

Not saying its a sure thing but I think this situation is unique and I bet Saban is open to the possibility.

Maybe so, but unless Jalen improves his passing dramatically we'd be faced with a lot of 3rd and long situations when Jalen is in there assuming he tries a pass on 1st or 2nd down and it's incomplete. On 3rd and long Jalen would have a slim chance of converting and if Tua were brought in on all the 3rd and long's it would put a tremendous amount of pressure on him to try and clean up the mess created on 1st and 2nd down.

Honestly, unless something happens, I think this is Tua's team now. That kid is super super talented.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I'm still not sure what advantage using them both during games would bring. Jalen isn't any better of a runner than Tua, he maybe faster at top in speed. But Tua is quicker behind the LOS. Tua runs the RPO's better. From a passing standpoint the moment you bring Jalen in, the effectiveness of any passing game goes down. Jalen doesn't bring a skill set to the field that Tua doesn't already have in some capacity. Again, I don't see the benefit. I see more downside.
    Quote Originally Posted by PA Tide Fan View Post
    Maybe so, but unless Jalen improves his passing dramatically we'd be faced with a lot of 3rd and long situations when Jalen is in there assuming he tries a pass on 1st or 2nd down and it's incomplete. On 3rd and long Jalen would have a slim chance of converting and if Tua were brought in on all the 3rd and long's it would put a tremendous amount of pressure on him to try and clean up the mess created on 1st and 2nd down.
    It all depends on how it would be set up. In my preferred scenario Jalen would rarely, if ever, be on the field for 3 straight downs like that. And, I can think of a few benefits

1. It adds a wrinkle that teams have to plan for and opens up the possibility of more wrinkles with both QBs on the field at once and probably many more ideas that better football minds can come up with. It's just more for other teams to game plan for.

2. Tua is a good runner but he isn't as strong as Jalen is and I think Jalen can take more hits overall so this could help limit the hits on Tua. I also think Jalen is a more lethal runner. It's hard to tell because the small sample size from Tua but Jalen breaks runs of 40+ yards at times. I'm not convinced Tua can do that as consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    It all depends on how it would be set up. In my preferred scenario Jalen would rarely, if ever, be on the field for 3 straight downs like that. And, I can think of a few benefits

1. It adds a wrinkle that teams have to plan for and opens up the possibility of more wrinkles with both QBs on the field at once and probably many more ideas that better football minds can come up with. It's just more for other teams to game plan for.

2. Tua is a good runner but he isn't as strong as Jalen is and I think Jalen can take more hits overall so this could help limit the hits on Tua. I also think Jalen is a more lethal runner. It's hard to tell because the small sample size from Tua but Jalen breaks runs of 40+ yards at times. I'm not convinced Tua can do that as consistently.
    I could see benefits in occasional situations. But not in every game. You start bringing him in every game for a "wrinkle or two" and it no longer has the "wrinkle" effect. It becomes a part of your regular game plan that there is plenty of tape on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Agreed, usually a two qb system is used for an instinctive advantage or to utilize the skill set of one qb over another. I would assume Jalens best asset would be his legs but I don't think you're losing anything by having Tua run if needed. He's very capable , also.....the whole purpose I would think if Tua is the starting qb is that his passing game is viewed as superior which opens up both facets if the offense which was the intended purpose to begin with.The run game will open up, the passing game will open up and personally in my opinion....there's not a need for the attention to be drawn with two QBs in the game on one play or a trade-off of a qb coming in for a down for a specific designed play. I think that could actually do more harm than goodas well as telegraph it's intentions. Again, just my honest opinion.
    "I could tell they really didn't want to play against us any longer." - Alabama defensive end Jesse Williams